Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundant or not?

Options
  • 24-11-2017 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bit of a strange one, I think.

Basically, I am the sole employee of a company left on site after retirements etc. The larger, overall employer want to wrap up the company that I'm paid by and move me across with the rest of the guys who are there working for a contractor. These are also permanent positions on site.

What should I be asking about? What am I entitled to?

Should I effectively be paid redundancy and then just continue as usual?

Weird one, I know. So I'm just a little confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In this sort of situation there is often a local agreement made to transfer the employee with all their conditions and retain their years service when moving to the new company.
    Your position isn’t actually stopping so redundancy isn’t really the thing, more so you are moving into the quagmire that is TUPE - good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

_Brian wrote: »
    In this sort of situation there is often a local agreement made to transfer the employee with all their conditions and retain their years service when moving to the new company.
    Your position isn’t actually stopping so redundancy isn’t really the thing, more so you are moving into the quagmire that is TUPE - good luck !

From his description it looks like the other contractor is not associated with his current company.

If you are being moved to also work as a contractor then i think you should get redundancy, however if you are being moved as a permanent employee with all the same benefits and retaining your length of service then there wont be any redundancy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Be very careful OP that you retain all your benefits and years of service. You need to get this in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems like mixed opinions...

Personally I think I should be paid for my years of service but in an initial meeting this wasn't mentioned. They're obviously going to avoid paying me if they can.

A couple of points. I've been there a few years and was never placed onto the company pension scheme, I was also only added to the bonus scheme last year. Would I be legally entitled to these things back dated?

I have no grievance against them and would like to continue as I am, and have a smooth transition over to the contractor. I also don't want to be taken for an eejit at the same time.

Thanks again.

Advertisement