Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost knife

Options
  • 24-11-2017 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Lost my elk ridge knife and have to buy somthing eles what is the best mid priced knife i like the buck 110 but am open to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have heard mora swedish knives are very good, and are not silly money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

McCarthys in Prosperous have a good selection.
    https://www.huntingandfishing.ie/product-category/knives_gifts/
    They have the Buck knives also but they're not showing on the website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a talk to the lads in Kilkenny Knife and Tool, a good crowd. (No connection etc. etc.)
    http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

+1 for the mora.

The are a good sharp knife, hold a edge well and are easy to sharpen with stones. Only down side i have with them is the plastic sheath is plastic and can bang off buttons when clipped onto your pants

Can't really go wrong with 12.50 euro though

http://activehuntingireland.ie/mora-knives-of-sweden-hunting-knives/morakniv-companion-colour-mix

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cz527

At the price of the mora knife ill buy one to have as a spare cant go rong at that price but i think the buck 110 folder is one i would go for to.what is everyone usuing to sharpen thinken of a spydico

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

cz527 wrote: »
    At the price of the mora knife ill buy one to have as a spare cant go rong at that price but i think the buck 110 folder is one i would go for to.what is everyone usuing to sharpen thinken of a spydico

Beware of folders, i still have the scars from where a "premium" brand folder decided to close on my hand.

But with the safty lach it shouldent clos wel that is what i though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Still using my Mora Companion Heavy Duty in carbon steel, I made a leather sheath for it but you can easily pick up premade leather ones for them.
    Added a Opeinal No 10 (carbon) to the collection.......razor sharp after a few licks of the steel.

See some of my posts on maintaining an edge, I'm no expert but I'll tell you this learn to hone your knives first before spending money on jigs or expensive kit. I see lads with the gadgets who either can't use em or just dont bother maintaining the edge on a regular basis. Sharpen once, hone regularly

Still using my Mora Companion Heavy Duty in carbon steel, I made a leather sheath for it but you can easily pick up premade leather ones for them.
    Added a Opeinal No 10 (carbon) to the collection.......razor sharp after a few licks of the steel.

See some of my posts on maintaining an edge, I'm no expert but I'll tell you this learn to hone your knives first before spending money on jigs or expensive kit. I see lads with the gadgets who either can't use em or just dont bother maintaining the edge on a regular basis. Sharpen once, hone regularly

But do you bring a steel in the field with you is it not a bit big for bringing stalking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Seriously why wood you bring a steel into the field especially if it's only a few hours stalking. The most I've had to deal with at any one time was three animals and if you consider the actual gralloch and removal of head and hooves, that's not a lot of cuts at all.
    If your finding that your having to touch up a blade during that time then something's wrong.
    When I get home I'll clean the knife and check the edge and touch it up if I think it's below par.
    I carry a pen knife for all other cutting task and as a back up in case of loss etc.

I've twice broken whole deer in the field (both reds and I could not extract whole) one butchered off the bone and one dissected. Each time the knife began to dull towards the end, but a quick maintenance back at the house had it back to hair shaving. When I normally butcher at home I use a completely different set of knives to my field ones. You can do all with one knife if you wish but as I said I have one group for field work and one for butchery and larder.

• Advertisement

Seriously why wood you bring a steel into the field especially if it's only a few hours stalking. The most I've had to deal with at any one time was three animals and if you consider the actual gralloch and removal of head and hooves, that's not a lot of cuts at all.
    If your finding that your having to touch up a blade during that time then something's wrong.
    When I get home I'll clean the knife and check the edge and touch it up if I think it's below par.
    I carry a pen knife for all other cutting task and as a back up in case of loss etc.

I've twice broken whole deer in the field (both reds and I could not extract whole) one butchered off the bone and one dissected. Each time the knife began to dull towards the end, but a quick maintenance back at the house had it back to hair shaving. When I normally butcher at home I use a completely different set of knives to my field ones. You can do all with one knife if you wish but as I said I have one group for field work and one for butchery and larder.

Ok im going to take your world on it and go with your choice of a mora knife

Advertisement