Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Really looking forward to this and there's a Mcdonalds opening near me at last on December 12th!
    If you're not already near a McDonalds, I can only assume you live in Antarctica. It must be lovely and snowy there. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    If you're not already near a McDonalds, I can only assume you live in Antarctica. It must be lovely and snowy there. :D

I guessed the moon. I reckon there’s a McDonald’s in Antarctica and even that ones ice cream machine isn’t working :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

IIRC, they pulled out of the Icelandic market when the country went bust a few years ago, I don't know if they're back yet, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Christmas/New Year duty is out, so I'm working Christmas Eve long day (so 8am to 9pm) but off Christmas day AND St. Stephen's day this year. Woo hoo. Working nights over the whole of New Year's but meh about that.

First time in years I've had both Christmas Day and St Stephen's off. Very exciting!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »

I'd be about twenty five minutes from one. Now I'd be less than ten.
    Lots of county towns ended up with a Supermacs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I love the basket!!!!

Cheers, I believe the other hamper for my OH is arriving today. We cant get home for Christmas so I have been told I can go mad so I bought her a larger non gluten free hamper. The wicker hamper basket for her is much bigger and I hope to use it to keep Jude Jnr's (not the name we're choosing and she arrive in Jan) soft toys in it when we are done with the contents.

I was in Kuwait the last few days and passed a flower shop which had a fully decorated Christmas tree in it, in flipping Kuwait in November. I was very late for a flight so zoomed past without a picture.

Traveling for work sucks, up at 3 or 4 for an early flight, long day working, weird hotel back very late but in work at the crack of dawn the next day, no time in lieu (id love a PS job in Ireland) but reading all the new posts on the Christmas forum cheers me up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Colibri wrote: »
    Three customers since yesterday wished me a happy Christmas in work. When's too early? :D

Any time before September is too early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'd be about twenty five minutes from one. Now I'd be less than ten.
    Lots of county towns ended up with a Supermacs!

Nothing wrong with a Supermacs. I’d go as far as saying their food is even better than McDonald’s.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have to get 7yo to redo his letter today. All he wants is match attax cards. On top of the match attax advent calendar. Too much. I told him I couldn't send it. So, I might get a personalized reply from Santa, saying good choices. The younger one was fine, shopkins, LOLs, and little finicky things that will go everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a Supermacs. I’d go as far as saying their food is even better than McDonald’s.

Supermacs burger, McDonald's chips, then you'd be on a winner. Supermacs chips are always soggy like they haven't been cooked long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You're all wrong. Burger King beats McDonalds and Supermacs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is there any such thing as a Christmas burger?

miamee wrote: »
    Is there any such thing as a Christmas burger?

McDonald’s do a “Festive Feast” every year. That’s as about as close as we will get to one haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Saw an item on TV3 this morning, where a chipper is coating the standard list for Christmas Dinner, and deep frying them......
    For the gravy, he froze an icecube size of it, then coated it and deep fried it... Even a deep fried mince pie....
    Heart attach waiting to happen.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

McDonald’s do a “Festive Feast” every year. That’s as about as close as we will get to one haha.

I think I see a niche in the market so... :pac:

Saw an item on TV3 this morning, where a chipper is coating the standard list for Christmas Dinner, and deep frying them......
    For the gravy, he froze an icecube size of it, then coated it and deep fried it... Even a deep fried mince pie....
    Heart attach waiting to happen.....
    Ohhh....no. That sounds awful! A good gimmick but not something I'd actually like to eat :D

Ugh that's so wrong.

I'm trying to think though.. what would be the least awful?? Maybe.. MAYBE.. a deep fried stuffing ball??

God imagine a battered brussel sprout!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

They had that too...a battered sprout.......LOL....
    I think I.d buy the meal just out of couriosity...........

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I quite like the idea of a battered spout.

:o

Well...Christmas burgers are actually a thing - these are in the UK and from last Christmas but they'll give you an idea *drool*

https://www.shortlist.com/food-drink/best-christmas-burgers-2017/336978

https://www.abouttimemagazine.co.uk/food/top-10-christmas-burgers-london-twenty-something/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys! we're actually getting our kitchen sorted! Shelves for all my baking gear going up today, new lino on Friday... I really want to get one of those cool seating benches from Ikea for extra seating. New blinds going up on the front of the house today too, I'M SO EXCITED.

I messed my back up at the weekend though, can barely sit, walk, stand... still so long as it heals by Saturday week I don't care. We're off to Vienna for our 1 year wedding anniversary to experience the Viennese Christmas markets!!! Anyone been?

Yes I was at the Viennese markets 4 years ago, they are very pretty and spread out across the city so you can do a bit of exploring while going from market to market. The one at the Rathaus is the big one to see, the lights were so pretty, my sister and I loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

We're off to Vienna for our 1 year wedding anniversary to experience the Viennese Christmas markets!!! Anyone been?

I can't believe it's been a year since your wedding!! Enjoy Vienna and please post some pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I'm going to Vienna at the beginning of December for work and I would love to hear your recommendation for a market to visit. Hope your back is better by the time you go on your trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

i shall be sure to update!

I know I can't believe it's a year already, it's flown in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's not that I dislike Supermacs I'm just look forward to McDonald's because it's a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I had turkey and ham for lunch today - total embargo now 'til Dec 25th!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Colibri wrote: »
    Three customers since yesterday wished me a happy Christmas in work. When's too early? :D

4 now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

i shall be sure to update!

I know I can't believe it's a year already, it's flown in!!!

I went with my wife there in 2009 a few weeks before Christmas. Can't remember which particular market we went to. I'll see if I can dig out the info.
    We went to see the Viennesse boys choir on the Sunday morning though and that was something else...
    Also went to a 4 piece recital with some ballet thrown in.
    It's an amazing city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I know its not the first one on this thread but I've just been out walking the dog and saw the first house in my area decorated on the outside for Christmas!
    Saw red and blue lights and made the dog take a little detour to have a proper look at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement