Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

After one heavy weekend of kind of festive get togethers my belt is very tight. I blame whomever put up the recipe for the baileys fudge, and magners.

It lashed rain, thunder and lengthening yesterday evening here and we woke up this morning and it was pitch black. Raining all morning so its really Christmassy. The only ting is I am not sure how weatherproof my candy canes are, or my outside battery powered lights. It may mean another trip to the hardware store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Happy Cyber Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We made the first step towards getting the decorations up, we had a clear out of the attic (ours is converted) which included the stores to both sides, this prompted herself to suggest I get all the boxes of decorations out into the room itself to allow her & the kids to start getting them ready for putting up next weekend.... I have a suspicion a start will be made Friday afternoon so they're up for the toy show.

Heading out this week to get a new radio for the kitchen, as when I mentioned Christmas FM was launching on Wednesday herself though it would be great to have them playing while we potter around the house... no objections from me there!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Neyite wrote: »
    Christmas cakes out of the oven and cooling.

I know, I know, I'm late with them but if I absolutely soak them with rum for the next three weeks I'll be forgiven yus?

I have a christmas pudding which has no booze in it as that can't be bought out here. So how do I go about boozifying it? Pour rum (or other spirit) over the top? How long to leave it soak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Jude13 wrote: »
    The only ting is I am not sure how weatherproof my candy canes are, or my outside battery powered lights. It may mean another trip to the hardware store.

I just pop the battery packs into a zip lock sandwich bag & they normally survive the wind and rain

• Advertisement

^^Genius. We were so enthralled by the rain, its our first this year, that we sat on the covered porch having a cuppa watching the lightening and didnt think of the lights out the front.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have a christmas pudding which has no booze in it as that can't be bought out here. So how do I go about boozifying it? Pour rum (or other spirit) over the top? How long to leave it soak?

With Christmas cakes you are supposed to stab it all over with a toothpick and slowly drip alcohol over it so it soaks into the cake, then you wrap it up firmly in cling film and put it in a tin. You repeat as often as you like.

I'm not sure but I'd guess that a pudding is wetter than a cake so if you tried to feed multiple times like a cake it might fall apart. So maybe do it once a couple of hours before serving and then you could do the thing where you pour a tablespoon of booze on it and light it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sorry to hear you’re finding it hard sarahlil. This is year 9 without my Mam. It doesn’t get easier but eventually it gets easier to remember good things without sadness. Big hug.

Guess who had to cancel the trip to Vienna? :( I’m just in too much pain to deal with airports and flights. Hopefully we might get out somewhere for our anniversary but since I can’t really sit normally without pain I’m not counting on it. I’m feeling pretty sorry for myself guys.

Really sorry to hear you have had to cancel your trip baby, that's so disappointing. Hopefully your back will be better soon, that's the pits. You probably wouldn't have enjoyed it if you were in pain, enjoy the anniversary whatever you two end up doing :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Elves! We have Ronan from Christmas FM in for an AMA this week in anticipation of their launch on Wednesday. So to make the time pass more quickly before the first tune is played live, be sure to drop in and ask him a question :)

Here it is - thanks for the suggestion, LoughC!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Elves! We have Ronan from Christmas FM in for an AMA this week in anticipation of their launch on Wednesday. So to make the time pass more quickly before the first tune is played live, be sure to drop in and ask him a question :)

So excited to get reading this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Excellent idea. Thanks for posting it here as I wouldn't have spotted it

I can't believe we're into the twenties!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm freaking out now that time is going too fast. :(

No matter how organised I am, I feel stressed and disorganised once it gets this close, aargh!!

46521261_10156196993766387_1094646344657666048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=c8a9f83c783253aa6b8618ed7ae45337&oe=5CACB607

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I'm freaking out now that time is going too fast. :(

No matter how organised I am, I feel stressed and disorganised once it gets this close, aargh!!

With the whole moving house I have nothing done. Not one present bought. Stressed isn’t the word :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Loughc wrote: »
    With the whole moving house I have nothing done. Not one present bought. Stressed isn’t the word :(

Awh you'll get there. Try vouchers for as many people as possible. Maybe set an evening aside and just blitz the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

its Christmas just seen the Guinness Ad on RTE 1

Oh my god earliest I have ever seen it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh that's my mam's favourite ad. She'll be watching out for it now :D

This is fairly on the button.

2e4iu6p.jpg

Today would have been the perfect duvet day, it is horrible out there. Be safe everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The people who have their Christmas trees up and lit this morning should be given some sort of presidential award for cheering up a crappy commute.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was chatting with my cousin on Sunday and she was telling me about a pair of chimney sweeps around Navan, I think. They dress up like DVD in Mary Poppins. They kids have to be present, and they tell them stories about Santa losing his glasses. Low and behold, the find them up the chimney. They sound deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just realised that this day next month, it will be my little girls birthday! :D Excitement will be off the richter scale I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We're running a competition in work to find the most Christmassy office. We're spread over several locations North and South so all the teams are being encouraged to "bling" our desks/pods.
    Lights, holly, decorations, you name it, we can decorate with it.
    Prizes for the best office/team by all accounts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I was off work yesterday & after a busy Christmas baking weekend, yesterday saw the kitchen/dining room & the sitting room getting cleaned/dusted/hoovered etc so that I can begin the decorating.

Swapped the stuff on my dresser for all my Christmas delph and I use the bottom shelf for a nativity scene, so I put that out yesterday. So it's beginning to look a bit like Christmas in my house.

I'm even using one of my Christmas travel coffee mugs today.

Might pull some more bits out of the attic this evening......my plan is to put the tree up Thursday afternoon in preparation for the Toy Show as I won't have enough time after work on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Spent the morning wrapping presents. I also can't find some that I bought months ago so will have to dig deeper into the presses!

Does anybody know the theme for the Toy Show?
    My guess is Mary Poppins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Does anybody know the theme for the Toy Show?
    My guess is Mary Poppins.

Oh I would love that.

My dress arrived for one of my Christmas parties where Christmas clothing is mandatory!

467012.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The lights are on tuam Co galway
    VUgLxvb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Off to the Bruges Christmas markets on Saturday, haven't been to the markets in years so really looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement