Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

We got our keys yesterday afternoon! Now a blind panic to have the place habitable for Christmas!

It’s soooo cold tonight! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Congratulations Alicat, such an exciting time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Currently on a cosy Citylink bus traveling to Galway for the night with my husband to enjoy the Christmas market. :)

When I lived in northern Scotland the winters were long and freeeeezing and I invested in an expensive waterproof coat as thick and warm as a winter duvet (snow proof!). I've cracked it out for the trip as it's currently -2!

Looking forward to a Bratwurst, a hot chocolate, a go on the Ferris wheel and buying a few decorations. :)

That sounds amazing!

We hosted a Santa evening at work on Thursday, we had 90 kids in... I'm still recovering! Santa was brilliant though, it was a joy to see them so excited. Today we held a children's Christmas decoration workshop and the concentration and pride on their faces would warm your heart <3 Tomorrow we have our three year old's birthday party, after which I might just collapse...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

My cat is quite good when it comes to the trees thankfully, though he has a deep fascination with 4 beany decorations from Penney’s which he likes to bite off the tree and fight! I give in on that as it’s better than Christmas 2013 when he chewed the new lights and we had half a lit tree! Lesson learnt and it’s LEDs from then out

Hahaha oh my god, I have noticed that with cats alright they get fascinated with very specific things sometimes! I had only put the tree up nit even decorated and mine was already climbing it ahahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We were at kildare farm foods today too. Although the little fella didn't want to visit santa. He's not even three yet so I'm not sure he fully understands. Fine by me, we didn't push it at all. We did see the cute little show, won 3 teddies from one shot of the claw machine, went on the train and had some food. Lovely Christmassy day!

I had my heart set on an Aldi nut roast for Christmas dinner. They sound divine. I tried one today and so so glad I did. Will not be getting for Christmas dinner. Disaster averted!

We have a party to go to tomorrow afternoon but with the weather warning we may not be going anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We did Causey Farm last night and I'm still thinking about it. The animals were a total disaster-he decided he was scared even though he's been to Clonfert loads of times. However he managed to stir the christmas pudding, sit on Mrs Clauses bed and the elves chairs, slide down the slide into Santas Toy Workshop where he played on a tractor rocking horse and in the shop. Finally he made it to santa who came down the chimney and made the little fellas night. He literally was dancing on the spot as he came down. Got a little nervous when he went to meet him for the picture but told him he was a good boy and that he wanted a cement mixer and was delighted with his toy. He got a really good gift, stacking boxes with fab animals on them (strong cardboard, he's been chucking them around all day and no damage) and a duck/mini duck facecloth hand puppet which he adores. Mammy must wear the big one, daddy isn't allowed and he wears the little one and goes around saying "quack quack" for ages!!! Fabulous memories for us

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Whispered wrote: »
    We were at kildare farm foods today too. Although the little fella didn't want to visit santa. He's not even three yet so I'm not sure he fully understands. Fine by me, we didn't push it at all. We did see the cute little show, won 3 teddies from one shot of the claw machine, went on the train and had some food.

He was just the nicest Santa. Inquisitive, and thoughtful. And friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We brought him in last year and like that the santa was brilliant. Very gentle and soft. It's a fantastic place really. Their Halloween set up was fun too. Do you use the shop too? I've never shopped there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I put up the icicles/window lights yesterday and started painting the Kitchen/living room ceiling at about 1am ended up painting the walls and skirting boards as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

So jealous about the snow at home, I want to see pictures!!!

Went to a Festive evening brunch (no idea how its a brunch in the evening?) on Thursday after work with the in laws. Ate my fill, the plan for being sleek by Christmas is well gone now.

Then Friday went to the hardware store which has the biggest Christmas decorations sections. That evening we all went to see Elton John, he was meant to play earlier in the year but canceled so this was his make up show. Had to wear a coat is was chilly. Loads had Christmas jumpers on etc but he didn't play step into Christmas. Tut tut.

Yesterday I dropped the in laws at the airport. It was all done up for Christmas. Tried to watch the holiday last night but had to cut it short as we were falling asleep.

• Advertisement

It's hard to believe that this day two weeks will be Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing to be jealous of here in Cork Jude. Hoping to get some snow later though as there are some heavy clouds in the sky now. Just need the temp to fall a bit first which it’s supposed to do. Getting up soon to do my shopping and get everything out of the way so I can be at home in front of the fire wet (if) the snow comes later. Will post pics for you if it’s worthwhile. Snow definitely would add to the Christmas feeling ⛄️

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Whispered wrote: »
    We brought him in last year and like that the santa was brilliant. Very gentle and soft. It's a fantastic place really. Their Halloween set up was fun too. Do you use the shop too? I've never shopped there!

Don't think we went there for Halloween. Had my eye on the butterflied turkey, turkey legs and turkey wings. Alas, I only bought a coffee. The freezer is full, so couldn't buy anything.

The one thing about having Christmas Eve on a Sunday is your unlikely to get a lie in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Congratulations Alicat have a wonderful Christmas in your new home
    Anyone said Happy Christmas yet? I wished a retailer Happy Christmas they were helping me with an item out of stock
    Watched Santa Claus 1 with my mam yesterday tucked into some shortbread biscuits did some wrapping afterwards I’ve Santa Claus 2&3 new on dvd so wel watch them before the big day
    No snow in North Dublin very wet and cold, miserable day
    I’m sitting here with my Christmas lights on
    Doing a few bits at home this morning, we are having an early dinner today Turkey and Ham parcel from my butcher having all the trimmings too
    We are heading to the Bord Gais theatre this evening so going to try get into the city center before the show and soak up some of the athmosphere
    It’s a rotten morning so I’ll be wrapping up later hopefully the rain will ease off

Link of pictures of snow around the country ⛄️
    https://lovin.ie/news/pics-parts-of-ireland-are-covered-in-a-blanket-of-snow-this-morning
    I hope you can view them Jude :)

The one thing about having Christmas Eve on a Sunday is your unlikely to get a lie in!

I was only thinking the same I’ll be getting to my butchers early to collect the bird

SarahLil wrote: »
    I was only thinking the same I’ll be getting to my butchers early to collect the bird

We've to collect the pavlova!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Lots of snow my little corner of heaven! Third photo is of my dog's morning walk route :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh wow!!

All I have here in Dublin is rain, rain and more rain.

Not looking forward to the ice and frost tomorrow morning as I try and make it to work. :/

• Advertisement

We've to collect the pavlova!

Love it

I think the RTE Guide cover is going to be similar to last years. I think the same guy is drawing the cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Had our family Xmas party- one bro and sis couldn’t make it due to weather but great fun nonetheless!

Other sis face like thunder over her SS present lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last posting day for the USA is Tuesday December 12th, in case anybody is sending a card to the States. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Last posting day for the USA is Tuesday December 12th, in case anybody is sending a card to the States. :)

I read that as you couldnt post on thread anymore lol

Enjoy the trip Posy. 46 hours to check in for me. Two and half more days really work, then Christmas party and a recovery day in the office.

My mum threw a curveball yesterday as she has gone and bought my Dad the present I said I was buying him, which she knew. So I will now be Christmas shopping when I am home. No idea what to get him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s like walking out in a winter wonderland there this morning. Be safe everyone going on their morning commute this morning it’s very icy and frosty out there this morning.

You’ll need to give yourself loads of time getting the car defrosted and getting to work safely.

Pics of the cold would be great, looking at the weather for the next 10 days in Ireland and it looks wet but not that cold. I was hoping for a frosty one by the time I get home.

18 degrees this morning here, had to wear a hoodie (and shorts) walking the dog before work.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement