Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Would this be a good time to say 'or Brussels sprouts'

Anyone who likes baby cabbages should be shot on sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone who likes baby cabbages should be shot on sight

My new BFF :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Folks it's time to come clean - I don't really like mince pies, sorry.:o

I do not like them either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gotta admit I don’t either :) wouldn’t be my favorite. Bought a tin of shortbreads in Aldi for 5 euro and wow, now they are nice!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Agreed.

Sprouts on the other hand, I'd gladly have a bowl of them and a can of Stella for Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sprouts & Mince pies, both delish, just not at the same time mind!!

I limit my mince pie consumption to the time I'm off work as I put on weight just looking at food, roll on Friday so I can get stuck into the 2 boxes at home with my name on them, I allow myself that indulgence on the basis I'll get out for more runs whilst not in work. Managed to do okay the last couple of years so fingers crossed its the same this year.

Sprouts we eat all year round so we dont really see them as a christmas dinner ingredient or suchlike, we dont even use any of the gimmicks like butter or bacon or anythng else, just peeled & boiled, not too soft not too hard, just the right amount of crunch, lovely!

Shortbread though, no ta!! Dont get the love for them at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gotta admit I don’t either :) wouldn’t be my favorite. Bought a tin of shortbreads in Aldi for 5 euro and wow, now they are nice!

I LOVE Shortbread! I have a tin of them from M&S, cant wait to open them.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love sprouts. If they are cooked right then they are fab, but if they've been on the boil since 7am then they will taste manky. I'll still eat them though.

Last year I did mince pie pastries for breakfast and they were lovely. I got a sheet of pre-made puff pastry, spread mince pie mix all over, rolled it up like a swiss roll and sliced the dough, flattened and baked it like that. They were really nice!

I'd eat a mince pie (perhaps with a little dollop of cream) if pushed but there's no way I'd eat another Brussels sprout.

Neyite wrote: »
    I love sprouts. If they are cooked right then they are fab, but if they've been on the boil since 7am then they will taste manky. I'll still eat them though.

Completely agree with this, it's all in the cooking.

How my Mam cooks them and how I cook them are 2 very different experiences haha.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Phew. I'm not the only one. Add pudding, cake and brandy cream to that too.

beertons wrote: »

Now let's not get carried away - Christmas pudding is the food of the gods :D

Yes yes yes, completely agree on this too.

LoughC - I think you should consider your position :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm more of a savoury than sweet person, Christmas is no exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm also on the hate Christmas pudding, mince pies and brussels sprouts train. I've never liked them.

And I'm smothered at the moment. Absolutely raging with myself. This had better clear up before the weekend when I'm heading home. I always get sick at Christmas. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A few years ago we went on a phase of heating shop bought mince pies in the microwave. It was fine until the microwave got set for a few minutes instead of a few seconds.

I'm more of a savoury than sweet person, Christmas is no exception.

Yesssss, gimme a nice cheese board and red wine any day.

I hate mince pies, pudding, Christmas cake, ice cream and sprouts :o

And just to note the microwave had a smokey death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mince pies (heated in microwave for a few seconds) with some baileys whipped cream on top is one of life's little pleasures. Love it.

Normally I'm more of a savoury person when it comes to food but I have a weakness for fruit cakes of any description, mince pies, pudding, christmas cake, I love them all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

And just to note the microwave had a smokey death!

Was just about to ask.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We've all the pressies bought and wrapped and I even sent my cards early this year :eek: I have received a Secret Santa gift in work and another gift from a friend of OH - a bottle of Baileys and a nice mug with my initial on it. Come to think of it my Secret Santa gift was also a mug, lol. Looking forward to being off work and to seeing what my 1.5 year old nephew makes of the whole thing :D

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    And I'm smothered at the moment. Absolutely raging with myself. This had better clear up before the weekend when I'm heading home. I always get sick at Christmas. :mad::mad::mad:

I was sick all last week so I'm hoping that's my Christmas sickness out of the way!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yesssss, gimme a nice cheese board and red wine any day.

I hate mince pies, pudding, Christmas cake, ice cream and sprouts :o

I do love a cheeseboard and wine. Not a massive fan of pudding but would eat it. I make Christmas cake but I've adapted it a bit with spiced rum and chocolate and nicer nuts like pecans so it's actually grand. I do a homemade ice-cream. I must do my brown-bread ice cream again.

Neyite wrote: »
    I do love a cheeseboard and wine. Not a massive fan of pudding but would eat it. I make Christmas cake but I've adapted it a bit with spiced rum and chocolate and nicer nuts like pecans so it's actually grand. I do a homemade ice-cream. I must do my brown-bread ice cream again.

Can I come to yours for dinner? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭kitten_k

@ Loughc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ92fFy8TTRmKrOf8gaJZ9axU70juZAyuviCE9FFhTkO7vMPOK6

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would this be a good time to say 'or Brussels sprouts'

Read this ↓↓↓ again, buster. :mad:
    New Home wrote: »
    GET HIM!!! :mad:

New Home wrote: »
    Read this ↓↓↓ again, buster. :mad:

I love you too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

10-15 seconds is fine for heating the pies. Our microwave has presets of 30 seconds so I stop it after 10 or 15 seconds. Anything over 20 seconds will burst it. (800W microwave)

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    10-15 seconds is fine for heating the pies. Our microwave has presets of 30 seconds so I stop it after 10 or 15 seconds. Anything over 20 seconds will burst it. (800W microwave)

Our mince pies didn't burst after a few minutes. They just created a terrible burning smell that couldn't be removed from the microwave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement