Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nabbed from the "I bet you didn't know that" thread in After Hours but I thought some people here would enjoy it's Christmassy theme:
    KevRossi wrote: »
    The city of Rovaniemi in Finland, where Santa Claus Village is located was rzed in revenge by the Germans in 1944.

It became one of the first properly planned sustainable towns on the planet, even going so far as to do Environmental Impact Surverys for the Hydro dams looking at the full impact on plants, animals and especially local reindeer.

when planning the town, the lead architect Alvar Aalto designed it along the lines of a reindeers head.

This is the initial plan, the town has grown considerably, but the outline is still there, on Google Maps, turn it 90 degrees to the right and use the football pitch as the eye of the reindeer.

Original Plan

reindeer.jpg

More detail (plan is now turned to the right about 60 degrees

visit-rovaniemi-map-reindeer-antler-town-plan-600x600.jpg

Google Maps view, not so clear as it has more detail and is built up.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@66.4987325,25.7213768,5509a,35y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3

And an article on the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a terrible burning yen for a Christmas tree... was without last year but the kind lady at our small post office passed on the little potted one she had been given.... Cannot afford and the cats... lol.. contrary things are yens....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Posy wrote: »
    I also don't like mince pies, pudding or Christmas cake.

But I do eat sprouts. :pac:

Snap and by God I LOVE SPROUTS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »
    Last day at work for me too. :)

Although we’re so busy lord knows what time I’ll be able to get away at.

The happiest of Christmas to you too CheerLouth and a wonderful healthy 2019.

We want you back here as soon as!! Love reading your posts throughout the year.

Thanks Loughc! Don't worry, I'll be back on Dec 31st! :D

Looking forward to the wedding tomorrow. Although I have just been informed that the Bride is not eating anything after 6pm today & I've just been out for my dinner and had a FEED! :eek::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have a terrible burning yen for a Christmas tree... was without last year but the kind lady at our small post office passed on the little potted one she had been given.... Cannot afford and the cats... lol.. contrary things are yens....;)

Ah , that was lovely Graces :)
    By the way , you may clear some messages , your inbox is full :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Snap and by God I LOVE SPROUTS!!
    Got my sprouts this evening in M&S... also got honey roast parsnips and 3 types of stuffing. Oh yaaas. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Everything on my countdowner is nearly done now!

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ah , that was lovely Graces :)
    By the way , you may clear some messages , your inbox is full :)

really? Thought you had all gorn orf me! :eek:

Fingers and toes firmly crossed for going over today and shopping! willl not believe it until I am on the minibus to the pier... Kind neighbour ferryman has been charging the car battery so that is the second crossed fingers thing.... I have a lovely list...BUT if the worst happens, will still e fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Enjoy your shopping Graces!

I ended up buying a lot of extra gifts for people so I have to get wrapping again today after work. The sister is over to visit for Christmas with her partner, so I need to scrub the house too, she's worse than Kim and Aggie!

Was sent off to the doctor yesterday by my nurse. I'm on antibiotics for Christmas and as soon as Christmas is done, off to hospital for a full blood count. Merry bloomin Christmas to me!

I'm not taking my antibiotics til after a party tomorrow, I desperately need a drink :pac:

• Advertisement

Enjoy your shopping Graces!

Thanks and if all is well, I will! weather looks OK and my neighbour the ferryman has my car battery on charge.. fingers crossed... Might even get a meal at the Lunch Club if they have room.... so rare to have a meal cooked for me....,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last day (well half day) of work today until Jan 7th. Looking forward to getting out of here, work christmas lunch, a few drinks & then home for 16 days, the christmas buzz has definitely kicked in as of this morning!

As per every other year since finding this little haven of joy on Boards I'll not really be online much over the break (will do my best to pop in if i can, but I'm not a fan of boards on the phone) so I'd like to take the opportunity to wish all the regulars (& more recent) posters a very merry christmas & a happy & healthy 2019. I really hope you all have a great one, that santa is good to you all & look forward to starting the ball rolling again in January 2019.

Oh and one last thing, a very big thank you to our forum mods, who yet again have done a fantastic job at keeping this place lively all year round, yet again its easily the happiest & friendliest place on boards (& quite possibly the whole tinterweb!) & that's largely down to them. Thank you guys!

Merry Christmas y'all!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have't posted very much in here recently, a particular family issue has made me a bit meh about Christmas this year but I am looking forward to the break now.

I want to wish all you lovely, cheery people a very Happy Chirstmas and a wonderful 2019! Eat, drink and be merry!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I haven't been posting very much as I have no proper internet at the moment. But at least it's given me a chance to get my toy making work done.
    fnu0c7.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    I haven't been posting very much as I have no proper internet at the moment. But at least it's given me a chance to get my toy making work done.

Toy making..... no proper internet....Santa?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

1t0x81.jpg

made it HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!

Alleluia!

Had a splendid Christmas dinner at the Lunch Club ( associated with the Meals on Wheels) ... they have a charity shop upstairs and when I asked if there might be a small Christmas tree for sale,they were wrapping up a very elegant silver one with special lights when a boss lady emerged saying that that was to stay , not be sold.... anyways, found a smaller, humbler wee one so I have my tree,,

So all is done and we sailed islandwards across a mirroring ocean... Home for Christmas..

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Went to M&S today for a box of mince pies. God dammit. Could not purchase just one box :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yaaaaaay, the older child finished senior infants today for 2 weeks, younger child is finished in creche for the same time too. Both were literally bouncing off the walls earlier despite the miserable weather.
    Finished the shopping first thing this morning in Lidl and SV but am now after looking at the Lidl and Aldi catalogues and thinking I JUST MIGHT need to get one or two more things...

Got through the mini crisis in work too and all was resolved earlier this afternoon and the work phone has been fired into the drawer until the 3rd. Once again... yaaay!! :D

Some Graham Norton prosecco is chilling and will be consumed when the kids are in bed.
    Really feeling the mood now!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    Toy making..... no proper internet....Santa?

SSShhhhhhh!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Brought chocolates in for the staff in the chemist next to my job, because they give me 60% off of my prescriptions, of which there have been many this year. Also dropped in my prescription.

Came back for it later, they'd put it through for free :D
    This season of giving is benefiting me!

Had my Christmas dinner yesterday at the lunch club.... HUGE meal.... they let me bring half home as I was over whellumed...

So y'day was my Christmas..... the gas cooker has died on me and little hope of fixing.. so I have the slow cooker and microwave, a raw turkey and all the rest.

Things have been going wrong all week so when my neighbour arrives to tell me he has not managed to get the connector / and/or that they need a huge sum to attach it.... ( was E350 lbefore!) I will pull up the drawbridge and hide.

Just all too much

Got a spare raw turkey in tesco; E9 for 3.5 k.. It is now.....legless and the cats are replete. Lovely to see them happy....

lovely man at the coal yard when I bought 2 bags of coal gave me a third one free "for Christmas"

Think I will close down now for the duration. Too ..... unwell and ill... hate to be a spectre at the feast.....

Blessings and peace to all here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Have you any neighbor you can ask to cook it for you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

On a happier note, it's the last weekend before Christmas! :) Can't believe it's come around so fast. Every year it gets to October and flies in!!

I just have a couple of hours in work on Christmas eve, then a week off. Can't wait! Badly need some time off work, it's been crazy lately.

Relaxed this morning (after a lie in) reading the Christmas RTE Guide and will be heading out soon to do the Food Shop. Turkey time!! :D

Ah Posy stop it’s flown in. I don’t know why I’m so surprised as it flies in every year.

Had a lie on myself, I made a Christmas pizza wrap today. Lads game changer!!

Now I’m relaxing in front of the tv watching the darts and browsing through the RTÉ guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Harrods London 22/12/18
    pj3UWCc.jpg

Kids were in awful form today. Think they're just absolutely exhausted after the last couple of months.
    Managed to drag them up to Liffey Valley so they could buy their presents for their mum. M&S was really busy even at 8.15 this morning. I can only imagine what it was like later in the day.
    Just watched Angela's Christmas on Netflix with the kids. Lovely 30mins of entertainment. Well worth watching.
    3 more sleeps although the 6yo pointed out it's really only 2 more sleeps because Christmas Eve is when it all really happens with Santa. Can't argue with the logic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Heroditas wrote: »
    Kids were in awful form today. Think they're just absolutely exhausted after the last couple of months.
    Managed to drag them up to Liffey Valley so they could buy their presents for their mum. M&S was really busy even at 8.15 this morning. I can only imagine what it was like later in the day.
    Just watched Angela's Christmas on Netflix with the kids. Lovely 30mins of entertainment. Well worth watching.
    3 more sleeps although the 6yo pointed out it's really only 2 more sleeps because Christmas Eve is when it all really happens with Santa. Can't argue with the logic!!

Oh no! I have to go to M&S in Liffey Valley tomorrow. It'll probably be worse then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Wedding was wonderful yesterday! Venue was decorated beautifully for Christmas! Most importantly, he showed up, she showed up and both said I DO! :D
    Chilling out watching Arthur Christmas on rte+1. Am dosed with a cold so bed early tonight!

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh no! I have to go to M&S in Liffey Valley tomorrow. It'll probably be worse then

Just go as early as you can. If you're there before 10 you should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement