Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Heroditas wrote: »
    Just go as early as you can. If you're there before 10 you should be fine.

I can't go early because I had notions and ordered some M&S Christmas food this year.

They gave me a collection time of 2pm, which is probably the worst possible time I could have been given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭kitten_k

iguana wrote: »
    I haven't been posting very much as I have no proper internet at the moment. But at least it's given me a chance to get my toy making work done.
    fnu0c7.png

I was only thinking about you the other day wondering what wonders S would be getting this year!

Finished up work at lunch time yesterday and then went to see the new Mary Poppins as I am a big fan of the original. Not as good as the original but I still really enjoyed it.

Then we out for a few drinks so a bit weary today and had a busy day so now I’m chilling in bed watching the original Mary Poppins.

The past two months in work have been crazy busy so looking forward to the rest and some lie ins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nearly everything done here apart from collecting a Pavlova on Monday and wrapping and delivering presents.

I saw this this evening!
    48389751_2228488390517709_416713373623779328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=ce6cfbe3f85de3a257990e825516837c&oe=5C9CA70B
    48412381_2228484477184767_4153363491266232320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=5f22e1cca1fe3c7c7b8aefae4e96c480&oe=5CA6B010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I can't go early because I had notions and ordered some M&S Christmas food this year.

They gave me a collection time of 2pm, which is probably the worst possible time I could have been given

Bring some drink with you. You might need it to survive the queue :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Had christmas lunch drinks with the team on Thursday, then a lot less work then planned over the weekend which was nice. I wrapped presents and we went to see the Grinch in the cinema, it was pretty good. Spent yesterday in the sun having a cider and listening to Christmas tunes.

Today is the day I meet my pals in Dublin for our yearly knees up. Pretty homesick as I will not be in Ireland this year. Also, aramex came with a pressie, I restrained the dog and my OH took the package and read the description so she basically has no surprises this year.

The plan is:
    23rd
    6am Take Ham from the freezer- done
    Leave work at 10:30 am, work from home. Try a run at lunchtime and see if the foot holds up.
    Get veg, ice and herbs in the shops.
    Collect dog from the groomers
    Prep the veg, if the ham is defrosted cook it.
    24th
    Go to work early, before 6.
    Collect the turkey at 11am
    Cook christmas dinner (sounds easy).
    Pals arrive at 3pm, entertain them whilst still cooking.
    Eat at some stage.
    Pub for christmas eve pints.
    25th
    Up early, glass of bubbles, walk on the beach with the dog.
    Breakfast, another glass
    Presents, another glass
    Off to a hotel for brunch with pals.
    Home to skype family around the world.
    Chill out watching movies on the projector in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good neighbours are pure gold...My neighbour the ferryman arrived earlier, new connector in hand. he had called the shop who did not have one in so they got one in specially and kept it for me. Kindness all along the way; they know me now and were not going to let me be without gas over Christmas, bless them.

Cost; E15.

I gave him the huge red cabbage I had bought as it looked so good; would never have eaten it ;)

I would have coped...My mind had it all worked out that between the slow cooker and the microwave.... google is amazing.. turkey breast do well in the slow cooker.. Had even put some turkey in the freezer as would not need as much; have retrieved it..

The breast meat is all I eat; the rest, raw, is for the cats. Their bed right now is
    a turkey boneyard! :eek:

There are some serious problems here just now and that was just too much.... back on track; done most of the heavy cleaning ( as my back tells me) set up crib and candles and lovely wee Christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Finally! Happy Christmas Eve Eve everybody! :D:D

DvFhwfAXQAEeH6u.jpg:large

224418-Its-Christmas-Eve.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Christmas Eve everyone. Feel the magic.

Wrapping presents is stressful.
    I've lost the scissors, sellotape, gift tags and now I can't find the wrapping paper which was on the table a minute ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Merry Christmas Eve everyone. Last day in work then two days off. One present hasn't arrived but who cares now.

I made the mulled wine, boiled the ham, and peeled the spuds last night. I then went for a run and felt pretty ill after it. I hope it was the quality street.

We are having our Christmas dinner this evening so need to collect the turkey and cook the thing, plus do the starters so will be heading home early doors. Our local off license gave me a really nice bottle of rose champagne as they know my OH is due in Jan and I would not be back. I will save it till she can drink it.

Mods, elves and lurkers, as an expat this forum is a godsend, ba humbugs get nipped in the bud straight away, no judgement for being christmassy in April. Thank you to the mods for keeping the place ship shape.

Merry Christmas to you all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Happy Christmas Eve everyone, it’s flown in. Just relaxing in bed for a few more mins before I get up and start the cooking. We’re havind a quiet one this year, no guests for dinner so it will be easy and relaxed - I hope. We all want a lot of things but I hope everyone gets the christmas they need. Have a good one 🎄🎄🎄🎅🏻🤶

Blessed Christmas Eve everyone!

Abed here, snug and warm.... .most of the first turkey is inside the cats.. the important parts are in the fridge...

Wished my good neighbour the ferryman HAPPY CHRISTMAS when he reconnected the gas, and now utter peace here. The heavy cleaning was too much but as least it is done! A quiet, peaceful day please God.

They all have family to care for as do I!

One of the island ladies will be on the boat today to collect her big turkey. all cooked, by taxi from the butchers and the boat back will bring the priest over for mass.

A bed day for me.

Ocean is blissfully calm, mirroring the mountains..

Just the post to wait for and hoping no dratted nasty "desk clearing " letters arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Merry Christmas :) been loving this thread since I found it, thanks to everyone for keeping it so happy and jolly in here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Good Morning Elves....Happy Christmas Eve......I have.nt been on all week...mad busy....I was so busy enjoying the
    Christmas season, it crept up and bit me on the bottom...!!! Up to Friday I had loads of presents to buy, things to do...
    My sister said I was overthinking it..that I was only buying a thought for people, not a house.... So spent Friday
    buying vouchers, cinema vouchers, Easons vouchers....If you dont have a smallie yourself you have no clue what they
    are into. I love buying presents, but I hate waste... Ham on now simmering on the pot, before I put it in the oven.
    Bought a full one on the bone..my Mam used always do it that way.... Turkey collected and in fridge...
    Did.nt shop yesterday...OH and my DD in bed with flu/cold...hope they dont share their germs with me...!!! So nice
    relaxing day for me. Wrapped presents.
    Only thing to buy today is salad stuff and bread...I have relatives coming for dinner tomorrow, so will have 8 at the table.... Not too stressful...
    Can I thank all you Elves for your company all year... As Jude said, it great to meet like minded people that will
    talk about Christmas on any day.... Best of luck to everybody for the coming year....

A very Happy Christmas to one and all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Happy Christmas to all!!

Emptied my Christmas money pig last week. E420 in it...saving E2.s since January...... Delighted with it....

Kind of suddenly realised how much I had to do today foodwise.. so up and at it and all ready for the oven tomorrow... back abed! Managed a walk down the lane, ocean on both sides, and just home before the sky darkened and heavy sideways started .... listening to lovely carols now.. happy day.... at 3 will find the King's College Nine lessons and carols... ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy Christmas Eve everyone. The ham is cooked and resting now and some of the leftover water will be used for the brussel sprouts. Just went to the shop this morning for bread and milk. The final Christmas shopping was done yesterday so I'm delighted with that. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

468772.jpeg

468773.jpeg

Can't believe it's Christmas Eve already. Where have the last two months gone? :(
    Went out for Christmas drinks with the college crewast night and was a bit fragile this morning.
    Brought the kids up to the Phoenix Park earlier to wear them out and blow away the cobwebs.
    Sitting down now with them watching the Snowman followed by the Snowman and the Snowdog.
    Presents are all wrapped so we can relax once the kids are in bed.
    Happy Christmas Eve everyone

My neighbour the ferryman and his brother assured me Santa will be down my chimney tonight.... he must be a skinny midget then, or maybe he can change shape etc and has soot repellent clothes.... lol.... Hope the young cats are ready as they sleep in the kitchen :eek: He will get scorched too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Less then 7 hours to go to the big day happy Xmas one and all

The kids were literally quivering with excitement going to bed tonight. Don't think I've had an easier time getting them up the stairs and brush their teeth!!
    Just finished watching the last episode of the Box of Delights - one of my own Christmas traditions. I first watched it when it was in BBC in 1984 and find it on YouTube about 9 years ago. Every since then I watch an episode every Monday in the run up to Christmas with the last episode tonight - funnily enough the last episode was also on Christmas Eve back in 1984 too (coincidentally my favourite Christmas when I was a child, that year was just so good for many different reasons and I still look finally back on it).
    Watching Carols from King's now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Merry Christmas and warmest wishes to you all. I'm rarely around these days because of my little man (Mini Egg is almost 6 months now) but I still love this forum and check in when I get an occasional minute. Hope it's the jolliest of times for ye. :)

Very very special one for us. 14 years married and this year there's 3 of us. :)

• Advertisement

Mystery Egg, delighted for you. At one stage, my OH said if we dont have a cot in the corner next Christmas, I.m stealing a baby !!!

I still have to donate in the ChristmasFM site....its open til 27th so I.l do it on Stephens Day..
    I used to love the Santa Strike....thought it was a great site to donate to...

Went to lovely mass at 7 oclock. You could feel the excitement from the smallies in the
    crowd.... Fairly organised now (eventually) Glass of white wine in hand...going straight to
    my head cus I.m so tired.. Going to bed shortly...Up at 7 to put on the turkey and get the
    show on the road.....

Merry Christmas to all...and to all...a Good Night. XXX.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement