Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I.v some nephews and nieces who are completing sale of houses this year, so I bought a load of really nice decorations at 50 PerCent
    discount which I will give to them next Christmas as presents....also great excuse for me to buy more decorations....

There is no such thing as an "excuse" for buying more decorations. It's just common sense :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Meadows and Byrne have some really lovely Christmas stuff 50% off.

I know they're essentially the brown Thomas of home ware price wise, but they're super reasonable with the sale.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The PDC World Championship final is fast becoming the curtain closer on my Christmas holidays every year :(

Ah lads where did the time go. Back to work tomorrow. And the tree coming down on Sunday. The pain is real :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We did the takeaway meal to close out the Christmas holidays today, although I'm still off until Monday herself is back tomorrow and with all the decorations packed away for 11 months it feels like it ended today.
    Still I'm gonna try and not fall into the post Christmas blues trap this year and try and stay positive and look forward to what 2019 has to offer.
    I'll be back at my pc here at home tomorrow so am looking forward to catching up on all the elves stories of Christmas 2018. I hope yours was as nice as ours which was a real lovely one.

Happy New year btw!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Somebody vandalised the crib in the town square. There's absolutely no need for that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    Somebody vandalised the crib in the town square. There's absolutely no need for that. :(

Ah no. That’s so frustrating. I hate when people do this it ruins something so wonderful for everyone.

x1ks5w.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah lads where did the time go. Back to work tomorrow. And the tree coming down on Sunday. The pain is real :(
    I was back in for a day on Monday. I'm glad now I was, because tonight feels like a Sunday but not as horrifically Sunday-ish as it might otherwise feel!!
    New Home wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. :(

Yep tonight is the Sunday-est Tuesday of all time.

It feels so Sunday-like that (hopefully) it will shorten the week, as we'll go from 'Monday' to Thursday in one fell swoop!!

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    It feels so Sunday-like that (hopefully) it will shorten the week, as we'll go from 'Monday' to Thursday in one fell swoop!!

That is so true and comforting :)

Now go to bed and stop putting it off!! :D

Now go to bed and stop putting it off!! :D

Haha spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Happy new year to all the elves!!!!

We had a dinner out and planned to be out for midnight. We had a lovely meal overlooking the marina but there wasn't much craic and my OH being over 8 months pregnant was getting snoozy so we headed home and watched some Jimmy Carr 2018 quiz thing. It was really nice. At midnight we headed, like all our neighbors to the balcony and we could see all the fireworks at the marina. So we ended up having a lovely one and the dog got the t-bone from the restaurant we ate at so she was happy.

Yesterday we got up and out by 9am and hit the outdoor pool at the local gym and we were the only two there. Then to the cafe beside the gym for gluten free pancakes, bacon and syrup so not exactly a great start to the new year.

I have all the usual NY wants, loose 10kg, be loaded etc. But am keeping specifics to myself as I don't want to be made a fool of in six months. Loughc in relation to a get rich scheme I can help out, I can send you bullet points on my finance moves since I was 20, from buying at the height of the last bubble and getting burned all the way through to magic beans, just do the opposite of what I do and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Need to get back to my usual simple food! Wading through mince pies and Christmas pudding,.... feel lethargic consequently. Grazing rather than proper meals.. pouff!

Loving the mild calm weather. made Christmas so much easier for so many...

Ah lads that was the worst night sleep ever.

Should sleep well tonight I’ll be hanging for sleep later.

I feel your pain, the more I was panicking that I needed to fall asleep the more awake I got!

Can't wait for 5pm!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy New Year elves! Back in the office today - most ppl must be off cos I literally FLEW up the road this morning. Left 45 minutes later than I normally do and arrived 30 mins earlier than I normally do! So strange to arrive at the office not totally stressed out to the eyeballs by the M50 :D

We had a very lazy day yesterday - went out for a walk, came home & despite saying that I was having no one over for dinner, the guilt got to me and I invited the inlaws over. Was grand, but not worth the stress of trying to do a big dinner when you've to be up for work in the morning.

I'm also after a "Get Rich Quick" scheme if anyone has one going! I'm also looking for a "Get Skinny Quick" fix too :P Going back to Slimming World tonight & am actually looking forward to it. Need to get back on track - had a lovely Christmas of eating and drinking everything in sight but can feel it in my jeans & more importantly, in my energy levels! Plus, I have a wedding dress to fit into this year :D:D:D

So come on 2019, let's be having you :D

I feel your pain, the more I was panicking that I needed to fall asleep the more awake I got!

Can't wait for 5pm!!

I literally could have written this word for word. Well except it’s roll on 6pm for me :pac:

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Happy New Year elves! Back in the office today - most ppl must be off cos I literally FLEW up the road this morning. Left 45 minutes later than I normally do and arrived 30 mins earlier than I normally do! So strange to arrive at the office not totally stressed out to the eyeballs by the M50 :D

I'm also after a "Get Rich Quick" scheme if anyone has one going! I'm also looking for a "Get Skinny Quick" fix too :P Going back to Slimming World tonight & am actually looking forward to it. Need to get back on track - had a lovely Christmas of eating and drinking everything in sight but can feel it in my jeans & more importantly, in my energy levels! Plus, I have a wedding dress to fit into this year :D:D:D

So come on 2019, let's be having you :D

It's defo a mix of the schools being off still and people still off that helped traffic this morning I also flew in this morning. The roads were empty when I left the house, it was eerily quite but lovely as well.

Oh yay this is your wedding year this is going to be such an exciting year for you, it'll fly in too! What month is the big day?

I joined back to the gym on NYE and I'll deffo will be back on the Slimming World meals for a good while too, I might setup a thread to keep us all motivated! :)

• Advertisement

Also to keep things positive it's 75 days to the next Bank Holiday, St. Patrick's Day in March :)

Yes 75 is a positive thing in my mind today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Anybody hear how the ChristmasFM fundraising went for Temple St ???

Anybody hear how the ChristmasFM fundraising went for Temple St ???

Last they reported it was over €370k. So hopefully a few more donations have still yet to be counted.

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh yay this is your wedding year this is going to be such an exciting year for you, it'll fly in too! What month is the big day?

I joined back to the gym on NYE and I'll deffo will be back on the Slimming World meals for a good while too, I might setup a thread to keep us all motivated! :)

Wedding is July :D

I'm on for a thread to keep us all motivated and healthy :D I need it as I sit here eating Wensleydale & Cranberry Cheese :o

I was the opposite last night. We had a swim yesterday morning, my first swim in yonks and them I did a short jog so I was falling asleep on the sofa before 9 so had to go bed. I feel the need to qualify the above in case you think I am humblebragging, by swim I mean flayling about hoping to get to the end of a 25m pool, so up and back count as 1, we did 10 with massive breaks. Plus its very much jogging not running.

A Christmas thread for loosing the gut would be funny, "A Quality Street to loose the Snowman body"

P.s. Cheerlouth, congrats on the wedding, I wish I could do mine each year (bar the bill) as it was great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Wedding is July :D

I'm on for a thread to keep us all motivated and healthy :D I need it as I sit here eating Wensleydale & Cranberry Cheese :o

OH ! I bought some of that, my favourite, and have not eaten it yet! thank you for reminding me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I worked the 27th and the 31st, but I was still like a bold child last night refusing to go to bed - I was thinking that if I didn't go to be, I wouldn't have to get up this morning!! Anyway - it's done, I'm back :(:(

I had booked Friday off as I thought I would have visitors, but turns out, I don't really need the day now......weighing up my options for cancelling it or taking it anyway as a pj day. But then I know I will probably need it worse later in the year.....decisions, decisions :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I too would be in support of a get fit/eat healthy motivation thread. Had been doing great up until christmas with some consistent training & healthy eating and was down to my 'feeling fit' weight, decided to enjoy the crimbo & not bother worrying about what I ate & drank too much, weighed myself this morning & up 4 & a half pounds, well okay 5 pounds. Defo felt it in my clothes so as of today its back to the brekkie, lunch, dinner & no snacking mode & back to some serious exercise... wouldn't mind but apart from the odd bit of pud and 1 or 2 mince pies thought i'd managed it quite well.... thats what the beer does to you i suppose & we had a few nights where 5 or 6 were had ;)

Still, something to set a goal for now for the early part of the year. Our twins have their communion in May so theres a handy target to use to get back to normal & hopefully maintain it. :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Chuckles save it for a bleak period later in the year would be my advise.

What scare me is that I still have a pack of haribo, loads of gluten free (gf) crisps, gf Christmas pudding and cake, and many varieties of cheese to tempt me to stray.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    P.s. Cheerlouth, congrats on the wedding, I wish I could do mine each year (bar the bill) as it was great craic.

Thanks Jude, we are really looking forward to it! It's been a long time coming (will be 13 years together this year :eek: I don't know where the time has gone)
    Graces7 wrote: »
    OH ! I bought some of that, my favourite, and have not eaten it yet! thank you for reminding me!

It's mine too, I could literally eat mountains of it, but I restrain myself to Christmas!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement