Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

DvB, as someone who's been on a weight journey for a while (4.5 stone off in the last year and a bit, some more off a few years before that), I can guarantee you some of those lbs are water retention.

It's realistically more like a 2lb gain, because there's no way you could realistically eat enough to manage 5lbs in a week or two. 5lbs on in a week would be an extra 3000-ish calories every day - so 5,000+ calories total per day. Not possible for most people.

A few lbs will drop off within a few days.

Was back to work Saturday gone, and I'm off today. Slept til 9am for the first time in about a year! Incredible :D

Back to work with a bang though. One of the colleague's relative died unexpectedly :( so they've gone back to their home country naturally, so I'll be doing something like 8-10 days in a row after Friday :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Chuckles save it for a bleak period later in the year would be my advise.

What scare me is that I still have a pack of haribo, loads of gluten free (gf) crisps, gf Christmas pudding and cake, and many varieties of cheese to tempt me to stray.

I feel your pain. We have a box of mince pies, a full pudding, 3 large bags of dorito chilli heatwave, about 5 tubes of pringles, peanuts & an assortment of other sugary, chocolaty goodies... all sitting there chanting 'eat me' everytime I walk pass :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I feel your pain. We have a box of mince pies, a full pudding, 3 large bags of dorito chilli heatwave, about 5 tubes of pringles, peanuts & an assortment of other sugary, chocolaty goodies... all sitting there chanting 'eat me' everytime I walk pass :D

Hello please pm your address and I will come clear out the rubbish free of charge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I forgot about the gf mince pies, salty nuts, and tubs of icecream. I genuinlely wish someone would drop in and eat it as some will go off soon.

I also have potato waffles in the freezer, god I love them. So basically day 1 of eating healthy is killing me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    I joined back to the gym on NYE and I'll deffo will be back on the Slimming World meals for a good while too, I might setup a thread to keep us all motivated! :)
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm on for a thread to keep us all motivated and healthy :D I need it as I sit here eating Wensleydale & Cranberry Cheese :o
    There is also a Motivation and Personal Development forum on boards if anyone is interested, you can just PM the mods. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I worked the 27th and the 31st, but I was still like a bold child last night refusing to go to bed - I was thinking that if I didn't go to be, I wouldn't have to get up this morning!! Anyway - it's done, I'm back :(:(

I had booked Friday off as I thought I would have visitors, but turns out, I don't really need the day now......weighing up my options for cancelling it or taking it anyway as a pj day. But then I know I will probably need it worse later in the year.....decisions, decisions :confused::confused:

My advice is to definitely keep the day for later on in the year when a PJ day would be badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DvB, as someone who's been on a weight journey for a while (4.5 stone off in the last year and a bit, some more off a few years before that), I can guarantee you some of those lbs are water retention.

It's realistically more like a 2lb gain, because there's no way you could realistically eat enough to manage 5lbs in a week or two. 5lbs on in a week would be an extra 3000-ish calories every day - so 5,000+ calories total per day. Not possible for most people.

A few lbs will drop off within a few days.

Firstly, thats an impressive amount of weight to lose, a huge well done on that, thats genuinely a fantastic achievement.
    I had managed 3.5 stone myself a few years back after piling on weight after retiring from competitive sport so try to monitor myself to not let it happen again, christmas is the one time of year I allow myself to fall off the wagon so to speak and I kind of expected it TBH.

Secondly, I suspect you're right, 5lbs in less than 2 weeks sounds way off given what I ate/drank (though never underestimate what beer can do on the calorie count). I'll do some stints on the tubo bike this week (Its great for working up a serious sweat) and get back into it & hopefully see that 5 drop to 2 or 3 by the weekend.... far less fun that what I've been doing for the last 10 days but I suppose that's what makes christmas great, if we did it all year round thered be no fun in it :) AT least we're not alone!!!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

We have something like 5 tubs of chocolates, a few boxes of biscuits and two slabs of coke and Fanta sitting there. Thankfully I don't like coke and Fanta and I'm not a chocolate person.

Gave one of the ladies who works next door to me a free coffee yesterday because she was too busy to come in. Comes back in later with two massive bars of Butler's for me.

Despite not being a chocolate person, I had one bar for dinner :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    There is also a Motivation and Personal Development forum on boards if anyone is interested, you can just PM the mods. :)

Thread is already up, but that is a great idea, I must give them a shout, I'll need it this year! :pac:

Thread is here for anyone interested, we'll keep it nice and easy going.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057942260

Just got an email, I got a raise :D

I'm a low earner, but I was already on above the new minimum wage, so I gave no thought to the new minimum wage as I was above it anyway.

But my lovely HR decided to increase my wage anyway, sound :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

well thats christmas back in the attic for another year,what a fantastic christmas,14 here for dinner christmas day,and the craic was mighty,im on the health buz now but still loads of food left from christmas.i have 6 foot something 15 year old here,eating like a race horse,im sure it will not last long...anyhow happy new year folks,and roll on christmas 2019...lol..

To everyone back in work today... we are half way there, see that wasn't so bad I guess! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Well my job decided to start my new year off by blocking boards.ie in work!!!! Not happy!!!

kitten_k wrote: »
    Well my job decided to start my new year off by blocking boards.ie in work!!!! Not happy!!!

Oh no, that happens to me every now and then, sometimes it's a server/proxy issue and it tends to comeback, hopefully that's the same for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I discovered a tub of Celebrations and a tub of Heroes in the car this afternoon... had forgotten all about them. Oops!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

How are the Elves doing ?

Got back today from a lovely peaceful quiet Christmas and New Year's at family home.
    Just great to rest and being up to not much, just catching up with loved ones.
    Visited a small and very local crib exhibition, which was so magic, I do love cribs !

And now trying to "nest" again in my own place, for this chilly evening and the rest of this winter !
    Great to see the lights still up in the city, wish they kept them for the month.
    Not back in work till Monday, so still very much in Christmas mode for me it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭kitten_k

469371.jpeg

kitten_k wrote: »
    469371.jpeg

This is more accurate than you’ll ever know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Winding down now with a beer before back to work tomorrow.
    Brought the kids to Dundrum today and let them run riot in Funky Monkeys before bringing them for lunch. They loved it and I don't feel too bad about heading back to work after having such a nice day with them.
    Gonna be a long month!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

luckily not back to school till Monday, but 6th year so stressful. Ugh not looking forward to the upcoming term.

Gotta enjoy the rest of Christmas break though :p:D

• Advertisement

Dalmon that is a serious wedge to lose and some dedication. I have done about 3.5 stone in the past for my wedding (113 to 90kg) As with DvB I stopped playing competitive sport, had a few surgeries however I ate like I was still training five days a week and a game at the weekend with the thought that I can lose it any time. But realized I am not 22 anymore. My annoyingly naturally fit OH was a great motivator to lose the kgs. In saying that we meet when I was 113kg.

Anywhoo I have about 8kg this time (about 1.5 stone to shift). Day 2 of the gym, alarm at 5:20 was a nightmare. We start taking down the decs tonight and hopefully will finish it tomorrow. We need the place clean before the little one arrives.

This place is a nice comedown from the highs of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I feel like a misfit here as my real problem is eating enough and keeping weight on... has come with age after prolonged serious stress and CFS/ME

and living on a small isolated island with no shops and now no car helps! Hey I could run weight loss weekends! Escape is impossible as the ferryman is my friend and neighbour!

So if you want to donate your Christmas leftover temptations, food parcels always very welcome! Going to a very good cause!

Nicely put, here is my sanctuary from the real world at times, the biggest thing I find about Christmas is everyone is in a nice safe bubble, having to leave that bubble to go back to work is the hardest part but this place certainly helps with that.

Positively I already feel like I'm back in a routine in work being on morning 2 of 3 this week. I really don't want the Christmas lights to go away tho, their warm glow really light up the house and any walk.

I feel the same, it is the last day of the week for me. Many houses here will have their lights ups until next week as many are back in Europe. I just need to book a trip home or a holiday to have something to look forward too apart from the impending Jude Jnr who is due this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I just need to book a trip home or a holiday to have something to look forward too apart from the impending Jude Jnr who is due this month.
    Go for it !
    I have booked my next visit home for mid-Feb and looking forward to it already !

I am just waiting on some dates to be confirmed in April, I will be flying in on a Thursday night and leaving Saturday morning for a family thing. Then fly back for a week, a week later. I'd love a ski holiday this year but its not on the cards with a new born.

Dalmon that is a serious wedge to lose and some dedication. I have done about 3.5 stone in the past for my wedding (113 to 90kg) As with DvB I stopped playing competitive sport, had a few surgeries however I ate like I was still training five days a week and a game at the weekend with the thought that I can lose it any time. But realized I am not 22 anymore. My annoyingly naturally fit OH was a great motivator to lose the kgs. In saying that we meet when I was 113kg.

Anywhoo I have about 8kg this time (about 1.5 stone to shift). Day 2 of the gym, alarm at 5:20 was a nightmare. We start taking down the decs tonight and hopefully will finish it tomorrow. We need the place clean before the little one arrives.

3.5 stone is extremely impressive too, well done! I'm sure you'll shift the 8kg in no time :D

Like you guys, I had issues with surgeries. I'm actually still waiting on lists for a minimum of 2 more surgeries :pac:

Until I'm given the all clear, I'm not allowed to exercise. My first big surgery was back in April and I deliberately got super strict on my food back then because I knew I'd pile on the weight if I didn't.

Thankfully it's still coming off, but I'm getting loose skin due to no exercise. But sure I can save to have that removed if it gets bad, it's far better than obesity!

Fair play to you for keeping the weight off post surgery. I trained prior to surgery but post surgery (last April as well, shoulder rebuild with anchors and screws) I have put on the 8kg.

In Christmas news have you seen the asteroid that looks like a snowman?

In Christmas news have you seen the asteroid that looks like a snowman?

No?!?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement