Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Christmas FM still working on the ap. Happy Dayz......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Nicely put, here is my sanctuary from the real world at times, the biggest thing I find about Christmas is everyone is in a nice safe bubble, having to leave that bubble to go back to work is the hardest part but this place certainly helps with that.

I couldn't have written this better myself.

Though I do appreciate I have a very lucky situation where I dont have to work over christmas and get a decent amount of time off & also have a great family who all adore christmas & the build up. Even my extended family all get into the spirit & try to make the most of it & that makes the kids even more excited!
    Not everyone has it so good & I'm very aware of that so appreciate we're some of the privileged few who have that kind of christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

My job sells a range of Christmas themed cakes (they're gorgeous). We got about 50 of each delivered a few days ago, and they didn't sell much. New cake campaign starts tomorrow so guess who's being given about 25 cakes to take home? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My job sells a range of Christmas themed cakes (they're gorgeous). We got about 50 of each delivered a few days ago, and they didn't sell much. New cake campaign starts tomorrow so guess who's being given about 25 cakes to take home? :pac:

Oh lovely! Enjoy! I would love some.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Send them this way :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Fancy "Ultima Thule" to look like a snoman, of all things ;)
    Today treated myself to some Sales shopping. Did not get anything during Black Friday, nor before Christmas, so it was a kind of belated gift.
    Now about to warm some apple juice, to keep the seasonal spirit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can anyone recommend me a good site that shows release dates for all new tv series and movies coming out in 2019?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can anyone recommend me a good site that shows release dates for all new tv series and movies coming out in 2019?

I find www.geektown.co.uk to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Not sure if this will work on the phone but I follow this thread which is good for hearing when TV shows are airing

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056129496/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have a movie request. Some years ago a poster on here mentioned a movie set in Dublin in the early 20th century where the characters are at a ball/party on Twelfthnight/Little Christmas. I think it's based on a book. A literary classic even and I'm going to facepalm so hard at not being able to remember what it is. I'd really like to watch it but I can not remember it or google it successfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Heroditas

iguana wrote: »
    I have a movie request. Some years ago a poster on here mentioned a movie set in Dublin in the early 20th century where the characters are at a ball/party on Twelfthnight/Little Christmas. I think it's based on a book. A literary classic even and I'm going to facepalm so hard at not being able to remember what it is. I'd really like to watch it but I can not remember it or google it successfully.

The Dead by James Joyce.

Last mince pie eaten. LIDL deluxe by far the best....

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Dead by James Joyce.
    Yes ! The movie was directed by john Huston and stars Donal McCann
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092843/

Does anyone else ever wonder if your bed misses you as much as you miss it?

It may be a short week but feeling wrecked this morning after 3 earlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Does anyone else ever wonder if your bed misses you as much as you miss it?

It may be a short week but feeling wrecked this morning after 3 earlies.

I hear you Loughc! It was a struggle to get outta the leaba this morning. My little girl came in at 4am & that was the end of my sleep :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I am off today and told the wife I would make a start on taking the decorations down, not the tree mind, that is always left up as long as possible but the outside of the house.
    My problem is once I start that means Christmas is over and I have to say it is getting me down. I think everyone on this thread hates January the most as it's the longest time away from Christmas we get.
    The house just feels so bare and boring for weeks :(

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Dead by James Joyce.
    otnomart wrote: »
    Yes ! The movie was directed by john Huston and stars Donal McCann
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092843/

Excellent thanks you guys. I was 99% sure it was Joyce but wasn't going to associate The Dead with Christmas.:o

Pretty excited about next year already. I was in town yesterday evening and the shops were putting out their rubbish for collection. I passed a shop that was putting out two tall sturdy cardboard elf covered Christmas display cases. As I walked home I couldn't help thinking that they'd make an excellent display for our Christmas library, crafts, small ornaments, etc. So I got in the car and drove back and rescued them literally just as the bin lorry arrived. Hopefully I can get them to the attic without S seeing them and they'll make an excellent Tomte surprise some morning next year. :D

I've also picked up lots of fun crafty bits and surprises for next year. A letter to Santa kit, some baking sets, a sequinned Santa hat, a poo emoji Christmas blanket. And no doubt in the next few days I'll be adding to my already insane collection of Christmas decorations as there are some lovely ornaments on clearance in the shops near me. I love starting off my Christmas season by opening all my brand new decorations I bought the previous January. I've usually forgotten half of them so it's like a series of lovely surprises! And I'll have more room for them on my regular shelves now that I have my new Christmas library shelving for light unbreakable ones!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I am off today and told the wife I would make a start on taking the decorations down, not the tree mind, that is always left up as long as possible but the outside of the house.
    My problem is once I start that means Christmas is over and I have to say it is getting me down. I think everyone on this thread hates January the most as it's the longest time away from Christmas we get.

I'm terrible for getting the post christmas blues but have found the years I get up & stop feeling sorry for myself & try to stay positive they pass pretty quickly, I got it baaaad last year & was still pining for christmas pretty much all through the year but 2017 I vaguely remember getting through better after getting stuck into the new year.
    Normally we'd have our family holiday booked by now & would have that to look forward to but we're giving it a miss this year due to other commitments so have decided I'll do my best to stay positive this year & hopefully not slip into the post christmas blues. To be fair I'm that busy in work I suspect January to March will fly by in a blur of stress!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've done it in previous years and will try to do it again this year - really focus on making things cosy at home. The Danish call it 'hygge' if you want to google it.
    One of the things I like most about Christmas decorations is the lovely warm feeling of having so many lights and candles about the place. It just gives a magical feel to things. But it doesn't have to be Christmas to light some candles, light the fire, put on some side lamps instead of the main light or keep a set of plain fairy lights on the mantelpiece and it does help. It's not Christmas but it's kinda halfway between Christmas and 'normality' :D

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I love starting off my Christmas season by opening all my brand new decorations I bought the previous January. I've usually forgotten half of them so it's like a series of lovely surprises!
    Snap !Myself and my mum do that, too !

Same, I'm dreading taking down the tree I'm just not ready to say goodbye to it.

Still tho only 329 days until I can put it back up again :pac:

And I completely agree with Maimee, we load up our house with candles and side lamps to still give us the cosy warm feeling until the evenings get brighter.

Same, I'm dreading taking down the tree I'm just not ready to say goodbye to it.

Still tho only 329 days until I can put it back up again :pac:

And I completely agree with Maimee, we load up our house with candles and side lamps to still give us the cosy warm feeling until the evenings get brighter.

My home grown hyacinths are starting to bloom and make a lovely sight....

One thing I’ve paid attention to this year is my vitamin D levels. Most of us in Ireland are deficient in it and it can intensify the winter blues, especially once Christmas isn’t there to distract us. I’m also making an effort to get more exercise, especially outside. I’ve found winter harder to manage since I got my car and I think it’s because I’m walking less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

One tree down :( Kitchen looks mighty big again, will miss my kitchen tree, I love it so much. We still have the sitting room one up but will take it down over the weekend.

On a positive note, we've done our marriage registration this afternoon and gotten our green folder so full steam ahead on that front :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

CheerLouth wrote: »
    On a positive note, we've done our marriage registration this afternoon and gotten our green folder so full steam ahead on that front :D

Whatever you do, don't forget that folder on the big day! The amount of stories I've heard about best men rushing to the house to get it!!

Gonna take down the tree tomorrow. Boo :(

CheerLouth wrote: »

Such an exciting time for you! This year is going to fly in for you but it’s going to be so much fun. :)

Twelftnight breakfast was miraculously a big success despite S's current allergy to sleep. Got to do some Twelftnight baking soon and then we're off out to a birthday party before back to my family's house for cake pudding and eggnog!

I also managed to get my saved cardboard shelves into the attic. They are huge, just shy of 5ft tall. Honestly not sure of exactly where they will fit next year but I'll be doing an overhaul of the playroom this year, so I'm going to factor in a way to fit them in easily at Christmas. It's pretty exciting actually as the playroom is always the least Christmassy room in the house, so these will really Christmas it up!

2ro2gxd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I have a few friends in Wales and they both take their trees down on the 26th or 27th of December. :( I’m always so sad to see their social media posts about it. And they both have small children. I’d be devastated if I was those childers. They both put up their decorations in November and say they are sick of them once the 25th has passed. Put them up later then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mine always come down the night of the Epiphany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement