Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just took down the outside decorations, mother's orders. Looks depressing without them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just took down the outside decorations, mother's orders. Looks depressing without them!

Excluding this month there’s only 9 full months left before they’ll be going back up. (Provided you put them up like I do at the end of November)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Guys, please do one (or more) nice thing to cheer you up from taking down the decorations !
    Light candles, for example.
    Look at January as still a winter wonderland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Everything still in place here... It.l mean I.l have to do it all myself cus school back on Monday...I dont mind that.
    6th of Jan is last official day......but no way I.l be taking them down tomorrow....I.l do it bit by bit during the week.

Grand and relaxed by the fire..waiting for Rugby to start........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dancing with the Stars is back Tomorrow night for about 12 weeks!
    That will take us into April And Britain's Got Talent will be for about 8 weeks.
    Then they'll be a break for the Summer or Matches at the Weekend.
    Then in the first few weeks of August the Celebrities for Strictly will be announced and then the Brown Thomas Christmas shop will open.
    Then in September, Strictly and the X-Factor will both be back to lead us into Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ah screw this. I try to keep it all upbeat and keep the Christmas magic rolling all the way to little Christmas and I hope S is having the super great time he seems to be having. But I'm so, so faking it, I feel genuinely sad. Why can't Christmas continue through January? I have a knot in my stomach as the thought of taking it all down. It only seems like yesterday that I put it up all full of happy anticipation and now it's nearly over and done with. It's poo! :(

I will actually feel better once it's all down and stored in the attic again. My life is generally pretty fun, so once I'm not staring down the barrel of removing the "Christmas glitz" I'll go back to my normal state of happy with my lot. But I would prefer another month of Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh iguana, I really feel for you!:(
    I took my decorations down today and it's actually nice to have a bit more space and to give the place a good clean :)

Maybe try to book something nice. A group of us have organised brunch in town at the end of the month and I also have my 30th so I've a bit to look forward to. Maybe even treat yourself to a night away if you can ;)

Aw thanks. I'll be grand once the decorations are down and I do have lots of nice things to look forward to. It's just that taking them down is a bit like rubbing salt in the wound. Once I get back into the swing of normal life I'll be happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

otnomart wrote: »
    Guys, please do one (or more) nice thing to cheer you up from taking down the decorations !

I found one of my forced indoor hyacinths in bloom so that is fragrancing and delighting .. will put the decorations away with a smile of nostalgia

But then I am fine with January and happy with the peace after the hype. Can get on with life happily

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    Aw thanks. I'll be grand once the decorations are down and I do have lots of nice things to look forward to. It's just that taking them down is a bit like rubbing salt in the wound. Once I get back into the swing of normal life I'll be happy out!

Yeah I’m exactly the same. The tree and lights becomes an extension of the house it’s hard saying goodbye to it on miserable winter nights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I keep my fairy lights rolled up in a big kilner jar, and I use them as an extra lamp in the sitting room. Looks lovely, has a soft light, and even though it's Christmassy nobody would ever have the guts to say so. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I recorded a few Christmas, and non Christmas TV over the Christmas due to work commitments. I might not watch some.of them until later in the year and the Christmas ads will still be playing so I'll have bits of Christmas vibe going on for quite a bit yet. ðŸ˜

I recorded a few Christmas, and non Christmas TV over the Christmas due to work commitments. I might not watch some.of them until later in the year and the Christmas ads will still be playing so I'll have bits of Christmas vibe going on for quite a bit yet. ðŸ˜

I did the same last year and this year. The Christmas ads popping up when finally getting around to watching them is amazing.

This is the first year we've being able to record for a long time and it's the one thing I'm looking forward is keeping the Christmas ads/programs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭kitten_k

469674.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^^ this is what our place looks like. I took the decorations down on Friday. Whilst packing the, away I found our crib, so that's a plus. They take and age to put up but only a few hours to take down. The place is empty however with the little one arriving in a couple of weeks I am sure the place will be full of stuff soon.

I was half ribbing my OH as she says every year its too soon to watch XYZ, and I complain that we never get a chance to watch them. So here's the list of the ones we didnt watch, ones I really wanted to but was told it was too soon:
    1. Scrooged
    2. Love Actually
    3. Die Hard 2
    4. West Wing Christmas specials
    5. The Santa Claus's
    6. Black Christmas
    7. White Christmas (never saw it before)
    8. The Snowman (p*ssed I didnt see this one)
    9. Home Alone 2.

Hope January is not too tough for anyone, and I hope the credit card bills are not hanging over people. Here's to 2019 being a fab year.

Jude13 wrote: »
    ^
    8. The Snowman (p*ssed I didnt see this one)

If you go into the 40d player you can see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have it on hard drive and on expat tv, I just can't watch them now as Christmas is over in my head for 2018. Already looking forward to getting home for Christmas 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kitten_k wrote: »
    469674.jpeg

lol.. you could fit my whole place twice into that hallway

The Christmas decluttering has begun. I has a sad.

I’m also trying to do it as quickly as possible so I don’t have time to think and dwell on it too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

otnomart wrote: »

Started a "tradition" in our home last few years whereby the christmas lights get replaced by tonnes of candles the day the decorations come down, we named it Kerzenfest (German for Candlefest), the German name sounded better :D

We use it as time to reflect on the happy times over the festive season, and to remember those that died in the previous year.

It might catch on!

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have it on hard drive and on expat tv, I just can't watch them now as Christmas is over in my head for 2018. Already looking forward to getting home for Christmas 2019.

I'm in a similar boat. I had a number of things lined up to watch but I had an awful bout of insomnia Christmas week and was too tired each evening to contemplate a movie. I was especially looking forward to Bad Santa 2 but I guess it will have to wait until next November/December.:cool:

I'm also really feeling the loss of The Americans this year. For the last 6 years it was something I actively looked forward to watching after Christmas. Once the decorations were down and Christmas FM over and done with I'd start hitting the 80s playlists hard in anticipation of my favourite KGB spies sneaking about in 80s Washington. I saved Deutschland 86 for January as a replacement and I'm really looking forward to watching it, but I've still got a bit of a hole where my The Americans anticipation should be.

I’m currently watching Die Hard 2 now that I recorded on RTE2 just before Christmas. The ads.... sweet Christmassy bliss.

Somebody with Sky might be able to help me with this. We got it before Christmas and we missed a few Christmas specials and I downloaded them to the box forever when I downloaded it said available until the 20th of January. Does this mean the program is available until the 20th or available to download until the 20th?

Somebody with Sky might be able to help me with this. We got it before Christmas and we missed a few Christmas specials and I downloaded them to the box forever when I downloaded it said available until the 20th of January. Does this mean the program is available until the 20th or available to download until the 20th?

I think it means it’s available to download until Jan 20th. Once you download it you have it until you decide to delete it :)

Loughc wrote: »
    I think it means it’s available to download until Jan 20th. Once you download it you have it until you decide to delete it :)

That's what I thought but I was unsure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just took the decorations down, back to work tomorrow, if could roll back the last 2 weeks i would!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

vicwatson wrote: »
    Started a "tradition" in our home last few years whereby the christmas lights get replaced by tonnes of candles the day the decorations come down, we named it Kerzenfest (German for Candlefest), the German name sounded better :D

We use it as time to reflect on the happy times over the festive season, and to remember those that died in the previous year.

It might catch on!

I love this idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We had the decorations down on NYD and I agree it helps to help with the end of Christmas blues as once it's done you can look forward onto the rest of the year.
    Having packed everything away early we've been Decluttering all weekend and I now have a huge pile of clothes to donate to charity that is been holding onto far too long, and I have to admit it felt like a positive thing to finally get rid of so much baggage... house has never been so lean of junk after recycling 3 car loads yesterday... best thing we ever did.

Now just to get over the fear of being back to work in the morning. The extended break was great but knowing the workload I have and the deadlines associated with it it's going to be a straight in at the deep end situation!!!

Happy little Christmas to you all BTW.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

We went to Wild Lights in Dublin Zoo, it’s the final night.

It was good, but the price of food in the restaurant. :mad:

Decorations are coming down tomorrow. Most houses in my neighbourhood have had them down about a week now. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement