Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Still on sale in Tesco!
    49948697_2259944460705435_4263005184470286336_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=106ce3be05ee045a668310d8bfd42205&oe=5CD684A7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Was someone looking for mince pies earlier ? Iceland , Supervalue and Dunne Stores selling them off here , not out of date , worth a look !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Iguana, its way easier said then done but my folks used to tell us santa had a budget so he could give presents to less ofrtunate kids. In reality my parents were skint, we only had carpet in our (myself and my brothers) bedroom and lino in the kitchen. But almost every kid in school was the same, late 80's early 90's. I just took it, however I am sure it was tough that my folks flt they couldn't afford stuff for us. I reality most of what we asked for was broken or in the bin within 6 months.

I havent had to do it myself yet, well unless you count santa's refusal to get a pony, as the santa letter I have received include slim and sparkly stuff.

I still hear of parents saying that Santa has a budget to/he has to buy things for everybody/you can't have everything/etc.
    Now the odd year a parent might go on a splurge and buy an expensive bike, tablet,etc but other years the cost would be lower.
    I remember a few years ago a mother giving out about the Smyths catalogue coming out in September and the pressure it put on parents,etc.
    She gave the daughter the catalogue and the daughter she said she wanted €1000's worth of toys and the mother was like I've to buy it all for her now.
    We used look at Smyths catalogues in school and most people knew they'd only get a few things with and those who had massive lists used be forgotten about by December.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Am I the only one to think that €1000 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend in toys (esp. in one go), that that mother should learn to say no for the sake of her child (and I don't mean ruining the Santa thing for her child, just teaching her not to be greedy), and that her saying "Now I have to buy it all" is a completely ridiculous (I was going to use a stronger word) statement to make?

• Advertisement

I think it was that the kid wanted 1,000 worth of toys, not that they got that. 1K on toys unless you have the rest of your life sorted, properties paid off, pension/investments fully sorted, and kids education all paid up for life, is madness.

Exceptions would be for a responsible kid, older kid, for something that may keep its value, a watch or jewelry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jude13 wrote: »
    Iguana, its way easier said then done but my folks used to tell us santa had a budget so he could give presents to less ofrtunate kids.

The thing is, I could technically afford to buy him some figures but some of these things are literally over €20 for a skinny 3" figure. I can't get my head around that, it would just be too stupid. I'd rather spend €200 on something that I know would get played with consistently for years than €20 on something that will be looked at a few times and then consigned to a drawer as it has no real playability.

Normally I have no problem getting him his heart's desire for Christmas because picking it in January means that by late spring/early summer people sell it off on ebay after a spring clean but there is no great demand for it, so I can get a good bundle for a great price. (He's also never chosen something so stupid!) But I can't see that happening with these things. Hopefully no-one is really buying them and the stores will have them on clearance before the summer is out.:cool:

I know what you mean. In the past after spending money on a biggish santa present the little one was way more excited with the dogs glow in the dark ball and the giant cola bottles (which I secretly hoped I could rob a few, but she'd counted them)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Enjoying the darts final this evening. :)

It will be nice (well not nice but ya know) to be back in a routine and the swing of things next week as opposed to the previous jetlagged shellshocked stupor of having to work 5 days in a row.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mince pies going in Aldi for 25 cents.

January blues heavy here. Close friend just got a cancer diagnosis. :(

Going to Spain on Saturday for a week in the sun with husband, 6 month old and grandparents. First holiday in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

First weekend after a weeks work of the year and can't believe how tired I am. Had fully intended to do some training today but after an afternoon buying communion outfits i felt fit for nothing but bed. Amazing what one week of work has done to me after a slightly longer Christmas break...
    Dreading the coming week now, think a few early nights will be on the cards.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ypb84.jpg

Looks like I was spotted going to work last week :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nice to be able to branch out, Louchc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hahaha, Loughc trying to be in disguise!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Mystery Egg. :( I hope they can fight it and recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Was someone looking for mince pies earlier ? Iceland , Supervalue and Dunne Stores selling them off here , not out of date , worth a look !

As I am now island bound and get my groceries delivered by Supervalu on the mainland I asked them for mince pies and got 2 boxes... sell by date end of March.. I still have 2 jars of home made mince meat,.

50321289_2259944920705389_7928633692841312256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=ff20ef3f1194252e76ec2b73f5f0843a&oe=5CC64DC7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Morning all, pancakes !! Easter is mid April, so the official pancake tuesday must be ages away.......

Took down the outside decorations over the weekend...we.l leave them inside for a day or so to be sure they are dry before we put
    them in the attic. I.m trying to see what I can leave down from the attic without being obvious. I got a present from a niece last
    year of 2 hand painted snowman/Christmas scene wine glasses. I saw similar sets in CarrickDonn... They will remain in the glass
    press. My 2 poinsettia are continuing to thrive. Mine usually last a year, with no great care. Southfacing window. Drink of cold
    tea every Friday. No draughts. I feel so guilty throwing the plant away when the new stock comes in the shops near Christmas,
    after it keeping me company throughout the year.
    For those that follow the religious side of Christmas, yesterday was the end of the season there. Last day of cribs, and advent
    wreaths in the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Ate the last Christmas Pud yesterday, usually I have a few in the press to look forward to on random Sundays, but there was none
    to be found after Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Morning all, pancakes !! Easter is mid April, so the official pancake tuesday must be ages away.......

Pancake Tuesday is 5th of March this year. So only 6 weeks to go! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Ate the last Christmas Pud yesterday, usually I have a few in the press to look forward to on random Sundays, but there was none
    to be found after Christmas.

Had Christmas Pudding last night as well. Have two more in the press. Was in SuperValu (Castlebar) earlier and they gave a good few left, might have bought a couple more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »
    We still have our tree up :o We intended taking it down on Sunday but ran out of time. I haven't actually spent any time in the living room since Saturday but I know it's still there...hopefully will be able to get a bit of time in there tonight with the lights switched on one more time before we take it down, though we're going away for the weekend. It might still be there on Monday, lol.

Well, the tree and decorations came down last night, I put Arthur Christmas on in the background while I did it. Christmas 2018 is officially over :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Easter is super late this year! My birthday is in the middle of April and I think Easter is actually after it this year!

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mystery Egg. I hope they can fight it and make a good recovery.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Easter is super late this year! My birthday is in the middle of April and I think Easter is actually after it this year!

Yes in one way I happy it's later, having Paddy's Day and Easter closed together makes it seem like we fire through our Bank Holidays too soon, at least now we'll have one in March, April, May and June to look forward to.

In another way I really miss having chocolate for breakfast....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

My house felt very dreary last night - all the Christmas decorations have been boxed up and returned to the attic now :(
    I really do miss my lights even though I lit a load of candles, they didn't fill the gap.

I still have my two Christmas jigsaws hanging in the dining room & I didn't get the Christmas delph put away yet, so still a few discreet bits hanging around ;)

Still have some Christmas pudding and cake left to eat, but will stretch them out for as long as possible.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes in one way I happy it's later, having Paddy's Day and Easter closed together makes it seem like we fire through our Bank Holidays too soon, at least now we'll have one in March, April, May and June to look forward to.

Yes, you are right - it means that once we get thru Jan, the days off don't seem so far away! I'm trying to save my annual leave for the wedding - but I'm also the type of person who needs time in the calendar so that I know I've a little break every now and again! So the bank hols will be my saviour this year!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Yes, you are right - it means that once we get thru Jan, the days off don't seem so far away! I'm trying to save my annual leave for the wedding - but I'm also the type of person who needs time in the calendar so that I know I've a little break every now and again! So the bank hols will be my saviour this year!

That was my 2017 :pac:

Ditto for 2017. We have three trips planned, one home for a week, then two weeks in Italy at a family thing, few days in Greece or France in August. Zero actually booked.

Need to sort next Christmas too

Will you get any sort of parental leave, Jude, when mini-Jude arrives?

Not legally no, my firm however give two days.

• Advertisement

Better than nothing I suppose! Exciting times ahead :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement