Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

20qcq39.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My aunt wished me Happy Christmas Yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just put in my annual leave for December 23rd! Getting it in early as everyone will want it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I can’t believe we are nearly at May!!

59243945_2336579363074099_8345120554184867840_o.png.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=c20bbb9556e58a7a98d4652c8909801d&oe=5D6A3B3B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Back to work on Monday so will be posting more as work is my 'downtime' especially with three Elf's at home now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Back to work on Monday so will be posting more as work is my 'downtime' especially with three Elf's at home now!

Back in work tomorrow myself after 10 days off, dreading it if I'm honest, but at least I can pop in here for some cheer if needs be, its a great place for a visit if feeling a bit down.

Reminds me of a particularly poor time I was having a few years ago during a summer of hell in work, I used to pop in here & read all the old build up threads & it really raised my spirits, it was a godsend if truth be told.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Back in work tomorrow myself after 10 days off, dreading it if I'm honest, but at least I can pop in here for some cheer if needs be, its a great place for a visit if feeling a bit down.

Reminds me of a particularly poor time I was having a few years ago during a summer of hell in work, I used to pop in here & read all the old build up threads & it really raised my spirits, it was a godsend if truth be told.

Yes will be tough going back tomorrow after three weeks off. Don’t know if this is sad or not (secretly I know it is), I checked my work email this morning before anyone woke up to see what I was going back to.

My morning ritual in work is turn laptop on, make a cup of tea and check Christmas forum so looking forward to getting back to that.

My morning ritual in work is turn laptop on, make a cup of tea and check Christmas forum so looking forward to getting back to that.

A ritual that many of us are probably also guilty of ;) Hope the first day back goes well!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    A ritual that many of us are probably also guilty of ;) Hope the first day back goes well!

Thanks CL. Morning was grand as was mostly standing around chatting to people and talking Elves (babies to non Christmas people!)

• Advertisement

Was only in for the morning as I ended up at the dentist for the afternoon, got a cancellation when I rang first thing this morning so was delighted to get sorted so quickly. Unfortunately the christmas funds will be raided however as I need 2 crowns on teeth I had root canals on years ago, both have degraded over the years & need strengthening if I don't want to lose them so looking at a 2k bill, well that or thereabouts, so no early crimbo shopping for us :D

Came back to 263 emails FTR... thankfully only 10% of those required action or response.... could have been a lot worse!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Last day of April and Spring.(Depending on what calender you use).
    Also we're into the 230's!

Was only in for the morning as I ended up at the dentist for the afternoon, got a cancellation when I rang first thing this morning so was delighted to get sorted so quickly. Unfortunately the christmas funds will be raided however as I need 2 crowns on teeth I had root canals on years ago, both have degraded over the years & need strengthening if I don't want to lose them so looking at a 2k bill, well that or thereabouts, so no early crimbo shopping for us :D

This is my biggest fear of going to the dentist as haven't been in a couple of years now.

My Christmas, holiday, rainy and every other fund would be gone! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hope work hasn't been as bad as you were anticipating!
    Only hump day to get over tomorrow and then we're winging our way to yet another long weekend. :D

Easter tree 2019.(Took it down this morning)
    58019513_2288206041502004_4484978736529145856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=ae9e7976fd83959365e3dbec0cf4370b&oe=5D6A5D20
    Easter Cake
    59064491_2293362637653011_4914882951151353856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=b06a52c04153e80068395901ebf82e91&oe=5D735390

Posy wrote: »
    Hope work hasn't been as bad as you were anticipating!
    Only hump day to get over tomorrow and then we're winging our way to yet another long weekend. :D

Ah not as bad as it could have been TBH.

I'm simply so busy these days I just keep going at as best a pace I can & try not to think about the overall workload, If I did I reckon my stress levels would actually get scarily unhealthy & no job is worth that IMO.

Tell you what though, the long weekends are timed well this year!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Easter tree 2019.(Took it down this morning)

Easter Cake

Both are absolutely fab, Freshpopcorn !

104156_pc.jpg

Some might also consider it the first day of Summer!
    D5bKyyRX4AAp9n6.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

May already lads! Crikey!! Work has been super busy for me so it's getting increasingly harder and harder to pop by and say hello!

Just a small update on our stats here in the Christmas Forum.

We had a 140 more posts this April when compared to April 2018. Easter most likely helped as did our wonderful Know Your Elves threads. Feb and March saw small increases and decreases respectively.

It seems Feb and March are the shell shock months and we come back around as the Summer approaches! :D

Technically if your advance as I am there is only one more Christmas free month left!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    May already lads! Crikey!! Work has been super busy for me so it's getting increasingly harder and harder to pop by and say hello!

Just a small update on our stats here in the Christmas Forum.

We had a 140 more posts this April when compared to April 2018. Easter most likely helped as did our wonderful Know Your Elves threads. Feb and March saw small increases and decreases respectively.

It seems Feb and March are the shell shock months and we come back around as the Summer approaches! :D

Love a good stats post me!!

Agree re : work, i've been silly busy, but am doing my best to take time out & try to relieve the stress which is building week on week as the shear volume of work is getting scary, popping in here when I can helps immensely.

Agree re : work, i've been silly busy, but am doing my best to take time out & try to relieve the stress which is building week on week as the shear volume of work is getting scary, popping in here when I can helps immensely.

Sums up how I feel perfectly.

On the upside I’ve my summer holiday booked for the end of June so roll on that and once I’m back it’s Christmas mode haha.

Loughc wrote: »
    Sums up how I feel perfectly.

On the upside I’ve my summer holiday booked for the end of June so roll on that and once I’m back it’s Christmas mode haha.

Similar to ourselves, we're away first week in July, after we get back the kids have 6 weeks of summer camp & are then back in school. Our countdown starts pretty much then as the shopping starts in September.

Dont want to wish my life away as I love the summer months but the buzz definitely starts around the time the kids go back to school.

Similar to ourselves, we're away first week in July, after we get back the kids have 6 weeks of summer camp & are then back in school. Our countdown starts pretty much then as the shopping starts in September.

Dont want to wish my life away as I love the summer months but the buzz definitely starts around the time the kids go back to school.

I hear a lot of people talk about the kids going back to school as the start of their Christmas season. My eldest is starting school this year so look forward to experience an early start to Christmas. :)

I hear a lot of people talk about the kids going back to school as the start of their Christmas season. My eldest is starting school this year so look forward to experience an early start to Christmas. :)

Snap! Our eldest is also starting school this year! :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Snap! Our eldest is also starting school this year! :D

I have a feeling that as it gets closer we (wife & I) will be more stressed than she will. She is a bright kid so will be well able for it however wouldn't stop me worrying about it!

To be fair, it doesnt have to be, we're of the thinking howevevr that we like to get what the kids want off santa as early as we can (had a bad experience when they were younger where we left it closer to the time & couldnt get what one of them wanted) & try to spread the cost of christmas out over 3 or 4 months.

I know others who still leave everything until December.

To be fair, it doesnt have to be, we're of the thinking howevevr that we like to get what the kids want off santa as early as we can (had a bad experience when they were younger where we left it closer to the time & couldnt get what one of them wanted) & try to spread the cost of christmas out over 3 or 4 months.

I hear you.

It has always been tough to get too into Christmas that early as we have a lot of birthdays, wedding anniversary, Halloween (wife loves putting up Halloween decorations) etc so we usually don't get into full swing till mid November.

However this year I might try to sneak in a few things a bit earlier, even if just to spread the cost out.

I have a feeling that as it gets closer we (wife & I) will be more stressed than she will. She is a bright kid so will be well able for it however wouldn't stop me worrying about it!

Yes we are the same. Our girl will be well able for it, I'm just nervous of her going on the bus but I think she is definitely ready for more structured learning than Montessori. Also, I can't wait for uniforms - bring on the uniform & let my washing machine have a rest :P:P:P

I don't understand those people! And I'm about to marry one :eek::P

• Advertisement

I hear you.

It has always been tough to get too into Christmas that early as we have a lot of birthdays, wedding anniversary, Halloween (wife loves putting up Halloween decorations) etc so we usually don't get into full swing till mid November.

However this year I might try to sneak in a few things a bit earlier, even if just to spread the cost out.

We're the same re: Halloween, but with respect to the cost, as you add to the family the cost of christmas increases & moreso again if you're hosting (which we are again this year) & theres simply no way we could afford not to spread it out, that or blitz the savings account. & thats a no no!

Anyway, whats wrong with preparing for the best time of the year as early as possible? I couldn't care less that some of my colleagues think im mad starting my crimbo prep in september as they're the very ones that complain they've so much to do come the end of november when we can relax a bit & enjoy the build up (work permitting)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement