Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    I got a call on the weekend that I have to go to somewhere not very nice for three week for work. I had gotten used to not traveling and had not had to travel since Jude jnr arrived. I will be working up to the day of my leave in three weeks, first time leaving the wee one, leaving the OH to cope is pants too. Anyway I will be looking to the forum for positive vibes.

Travelling for work is rarely fun and certainly not when you have a family.

I remember being away with work when we were trying for our first child and my wife having to tell me she was pregnant over the phone. Took away from the moment a bit.

Try to look on the positive side, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

TRS30 wrote: »
    Travelling for work is rarely fun and certainly not when you have a family.

I remember being away with work when we were trying for our first child and my wife having to tell me she was pregnant over the phone. Took away from the moment a bit.

Try to look on the positive side, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that!

Yup I guess so. Landed in a dust bowl part of KSA this morning, it was very tough saying goodbye to the youngest. Just need to manage the client to make sure I spend more than a day at the weekend back home.

Anyway it pays for the tinsel etc and I will be in the gym each day as there's feck all else to do. The less fat I am the more I can gorge come December. The airport always makes me feel Christmasy.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Yup I guess so. Landed in a dust bowl part of KSA this morning, it was very tough saying goodbye to the youngest. Just need to manage the client to make sure I spend more than a day at the weekend back home.

Anyway it pays for the tinsel etc and I will be in the gym each day as there's feck all else to do. The less fat I am the more I can gorge come December. The airport always makes me feel Christmasy.

Taking the positives out of it, I like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Interesting read on the subject of over-tourism (or is it peak tourism ?)

Two cities, both famous for their Christmas events, are re-evaluating them, for mainly environment reasons: Edinburgh and Bruges

A full-scale review of Edinburgh's world-famous Christmas and Hogmanay celebrations is to be carried out - as it emerged that new measures to protect Princes Street Gardens from the world-famous events will be put in place this year.
    https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/review-ordered-into-future-of-edinburgh-s-christmas-and-hogmanay-events-1-4948998

Bruges is axing the annual ice sculpture festival as well as the traditional Christmas ice rink on the historic market square. Bruges says attractions like these can no longer be justified as a result of global warming.
    https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/06/13/global-warming-sounds-death-knell-for-bruges-ice-festival/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,777 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 180's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're into the 180's!

Coming up on the halfway point quickly!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

There is a halfway to Christmas brunch this weekend in a bar at home. If I get out of this place I may tip in for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

You probably all know this already, but Drogheda is having a Christmas Festival this year - December 6th - 8th on West Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

washiskin wrote: »
    You probably all know this already, but Drogheda is having a Christmas Festival this year - December 6th - 8th on West Street.

Is it the usual "festival" that they have or are they changing it up? Winter Bonanza I think they called it for a few years. Would be nice to see Lawrence's Street closed off like they did for Music At The Gate at the weekend. Lots of potential to add a bit of life to the town - plus y'know Christmas :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We're into the 180's!

Jaysus. Feels like we only got to 199 yesterday.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

Tell me about it. I'll blink and someone will say we're in double digits!!

As I said before, every year it feels once we get into the 100's the rest of the year flies by, 365 to 199 takes an age, 199 to 0 feels like half the time, despite actually being longer!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

D9gMR2WXsAASceT.png

Days start getting shorter from tomorrow, hard to believe. Feels like we haven't had any summer at all so far.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Days start getting shorter from tomorrow, hard to believe. Feels like we haven't had any summer at all so far.

I know - I always feel conflicted about the Summer Solstice! On the one hand, it brings us closer to Christmas but on the other, it marks the beginning of the end of the fun of summer. And as you say, this year in particular, it feels like we haven't had any summer at all yet. I just said to Mr. CL last night that it's the middle of June and so far it hasn't been warm enough yet to have one evening sitting out on the patio :( Fingers crossed for a better July!

To be fair, we tend to get our better weather after the solstice, July, August & September all tend to be better months. I think last year influenced the way alot of people think about summer.

You are probably right DvB! Last year ruined us, we were all expecting it again this year lol!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    You are probably right DvB! Last year ruined us, we were all expecting it again this year lol!

Ill try to bring back some sun for ye all!

Ill try to bring back some sun for ye all!

You off soon?
    We've a week & a half to ours, counting down the days big time, shame i've amountain of work to get done before I go though.

DvB wrote: »
    You off soon?
    We've a week & a half to ours, counting down the days big time, shame i've amountain of work to get done before I go though.

Flying out today :D

• Advertisement

Flying out today :D

Sweet!!! Enjoy! Its about 29 degrees there today... so a tad warmer than here:D

64904280_2333156163673658_2701475510822633472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=748577eac00ebd149322a2d4924b3e61&oe=5DBCF545

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Have fun Loughc!

Sitting in hotel bar here and the George Michael tribute act is singing Last Christmas, I didn’t even have to request it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

:D

64733196_2335571146765493_1562856711167934464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=2e6ee372995be1fb187e999aa03557d0&oe=5DBB1720

65057634_2336414173347857_7368464296952463360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=ce118344f02b1b19f5ae7de96e5e15ba&oe=5D883075

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I had a thought in Dublin today. Should I book the 3rd Thursday in August Annual Leave from work? I believe that is the day Brown Thomas open the Christmas store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just had a look at the countdown there and it's 182 days to go which means it officially closer to this Christmas than the last one today.
    Time to start thinking of putting up the tree. :)

• Advertisement

lycan238 wrote: »
    I had a thought in Dublin today. Should I book the 3rd Thursday in August Annual Leave from work? I believe that is the day Brown Thomas open the Christmas store.

That's a great idea. I am actually in Ireland for that weekend so I may pop in for a look.

I keeping an eye on the 'Let's write a Christmas Story' thread and saving it to read tomorrow in the airport just before my flight home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement