Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    It feels to me like we have more regular posters now too.

Yes completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    I love stats posts myself haha. We are up to yesterday, 223 posts ahead of where we were this time last year, and yes 2018 was our best year by some margin, we are on course to pass out 2010 & 2011 total annual posts soon.

Great to hear the forum is growing; the more the merrier as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi everyone. Just saying hi and touching base with you all. Haven’t posted in ages but have been keeping up with this thread daily. I’ve definitely been getting back into the Christmas mood recently and I’m starting to put plans together. Only 5 months to go :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Just saying hi and touching base with you all. Haven’t posted in ages but have been keeping up with this thread daily. I’ve definitely been getting back into the Christmas mood recently and I’m starting to put plans together. Only 5 months to go :eek:

Hey Cork Lass welcome back. Glad to see all is well. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Cork Lass! Long time, no see. :)

It's definitely Christmas now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I love stats posts myself haha. We are up to yesterday, 223 posts ahead of where we were this time last year, and yes 2018 was our best year by some margin, we are on course to pass out 2010 & 2011 total annual posts soon.

We need two more things to make it a mega year, a big snow, and an elf on the toy show.

Yes, the Big Snow of 2018 made that a great year. Can't believe it was only last year, feels like a dream now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Was there a big snow last year?? I wasn't home. There better be one this year so I can have a good excuse not to go back to work. I will pray to the snow gods.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Was there a big snow last year?? I wasn't home. There better be one this year so I can have a good excuse not to go back to work. I will pray to the snow gods.

Yes there was a 3 days Snow event at the end of Feb/early March last year. It was Storm Emma, a mixture of high winds and snow, it resulted in a red weather warning, a sudden build up of snow and 3 sweet days off work, Started on a Tuesday night and ended Saturday.

It was also dubbed "The Beast from The East"

Posy wrote: »
    Yes, the Big Snow of 2018 made that a great year. Can't believe it was only last year, feels like a dream now!

Honestly I had it in my head it was 2017, but it was 2018 it really did feel longer....

Did everyone get the 3 days off and what are everyone's memories from it?

Obviously Christmas FM coming back for one day online was a highlight for me! :)

• Advertisement

Yes! Had the Wednesday off, and wasn't back until the Monday.

Sincerely think that morning when I awoke to an unexpected winter wonderland and then I got the call to say don't come to work until further notice was possibly the best day of my life. :D

Yes, Christmas FM being back was brilliant.
    The bread memes were good fun too! :pac:

Sincerely think that morning when I awoke to an unexpected winter wonderland and then I got the call to say don't come to work until further notice was possibly the best day of my life. :D

Yes, Christmas FM being back was brilliant.
    The bread memes were good fun too! :pac:

Oh my god yes, the bread memes!!

We were so sure in Jan 2019 that we'd get another snow event similar that would result in a few days off but it never happened :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Similar situation to everyone else I suspect, struggling to get around to the train on the Wednesday & ended up ringing in saying I'd work from home, later that evening got a call saying the office was closed until the Monday at the earliest. Ended up outside with the kids having snowball fights & building a snowman and all the usual. My sister, her hubby & my nephew walked over & we ended up having a few drinks as we had beers in still leftover from christmas & plenty of wine, ended up being great craic.

The walking for km's for milk & clearing the driveways as the thaw started was a pain though. I'll be honest the few days off work were great but I was bored with the whole snow thing after 24 hours or so.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Am I a mad fan of snow?
    No.

Am I a mad fan of three paid days off work?
    Hell yeah.

Am I a mad fan of snow?
    No.

Am I a mad fan of three paid days off work?
    Hell yeah.

Word!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yes there was a 3 days Snow event at the end of Feb/early March last year. It was Storm Emma, a mixture of high winds and snow, it resulted in a red weather warning, a sudden build up of snow and 3 sweet days off work, Started on a Tuesday night and ended Saturday.

It was also dubbed "The Beast from The East"

One of the downsides of being able to work from home. However got a text from boss mid way through the first day to say all non essential staff are to log off due to performance issues so it was snowmen in the garden with the kids. Happy days as didn’t have to leave the house for the whole time. The only issue was car slid out of the driveway (front garden has a bit of a slope- obviously!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It feels to me like we have more regular posters now too.
    And maybe some famous ones, too !

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1154057626113708032

otnomart wrote: »

I wonder are they having the real v fake debate!

TRS30 wrote: »
    I wonder are they having the real v fake debate!

Being Americans they wont have the roses v quality street one though :D

• Advertisement

BTW, for the Elf's in here that have kids, the bookings for Causey farm open this day week August 1st. It books out quickly for late Nov & December so get in early. We went last year & it was a fantastic evenings entertainment despite the weather being miserable.

IIRC the bookings for Santa Express at Palmerstown House are already open at www.santashouseexpress.ie & again, that books out quickly for the weekends in December & late November.

otnomart wrote: »
    I've always liked those Trumps.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,772 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This thread is now gone over 5000 posts.
    Milk/etc are all dated into August now.

I share the spoilers for Fair City and Lidl offers here and they're also gone into August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Lads I have no idea why but I'm feeling WILD christmassy today! Quite weird, although we're 5 months EXACTLY today...

Just spent a good 20 minutes looking at the Christmas stock on my football teams merchandise site :rolleyes:

67414145_2359947924327815_3565430121105981440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQkKn8HMpgYjGLTLshZI5uro3CQRMW_caDZhEq41jgTPwitn0btnDOEWpLUlsiQVxsM&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=8dee003eb400416626a8f244d79350de&oe=5DA313B4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’ve just bought some Christmas presents on Amazon. Also, I had a bag of popcorn today and the best before date was 25th December - I’m easily amused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Movies 24 is currently showing Christmas themed movies at the moment

BTW, for the Elf's in here that have kids, the bookings for Causey farm open this day week August 1st. It books out quickly for late Nov & December so get in early. We went last year & it was a fantastic evenings entertainment despite the weather being miserable.

IIRC the bookings for Santa Express at Palmerstown House are already open at www.santashouseexpress.ie & again, that books out quickly for the weekends in December & late November.

Anyone done the Santa in Amber Spring? Thinking of doing an over nighter with wife’s family.

Thanks to a certain user for mentioning it in another thread I'm currently watching the Christmas episode of Gavin and Stacey.

• Advertisement

I have episodes 1-3 in my TV planner for this evening, thanks to the head's up of another boardsie that's it's being shown this week.
    It's definitely due a rewatch, with a new Christmas special coming up! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement