Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How many grams? Probably less than a normal packet of normal bikkies. I feel cheated already, and I didn't even know those existed until half an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,770 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

New Home wrote: »
    How many grams? Probably less than a normal packet of normal bikkies. I feel cheated already, and I didn't even know those existed until half an hour ago.

502 grams!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not too bad, then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lads and Lassies, it seems like last Christmas was only a few months ago but I just realised something....the trees and decorations need to be up for a Dec 1st switch on in only 9 weeks time!! It'll be upon us before we know it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Happy Rudolph day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jude13 wrote: »
    Happy Rudolph day!!!

Only 2 more and then the real event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Only 2 more and then the real event :)

Seems so close when you put it like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Saw an ad on the telly this morning for a Santa Clause experience in the new Centre Parcs. Prices from E18 per child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Just came into the kitchen and Philip and Holly have a Christmas Beauty Advent calender slot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think I'll stop reading the Independent....

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sinead-ryan-its-still-way-too-early-for-the-cword--38532534.html

Bet she doesn't complain when Pennys start selling bikinis in February! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think I'll stop reading the Independent....

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sinead-ryan-its-still-way-too-early-for-the-cword--38532534.html

Bet she doesn't complain when Pennys start selling bikinis in February! :rolleyes:

Meh, just more 'bah humbug'... its like people are unable to resist buying everything christmas related they see when they go into a shop, FFS its not that hard to simply ignore the things you dont want to buy & pick up the things you do! Simply more people trying too hard to be outraged :rolleyes:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Lego Gingerbread house!
    bf1f1ed0-df7b-11e9-a822-8d0de7abb70d_800_420.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

DvB wrote: »
    Meh, just more 'bah humbug'... its like people are unable to resist buying everything christmas related they see when they go into a shop, FFS its not that hard to simply ignore the things you dont want to buy & pick up the things you do! Simply more people trying too hard to be outraged :rolleyes:
    Totally agree,

the 'bah humbug-gers" should give consumers some credit !

71564741_1400867676744685_964529271043260416_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQlpACUz5jCl3fnO7PlsBkcpo1JtA5bIJ7Sx0x6cxtjb6tMvyeEbePlyBW9GKAMIay0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f8317b5c7c9d35003702714375728b94&oe=5E367567

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

71564741_1400867676744685_964529271043260416_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQlpACUz5jCl3fnO7PlsBkcpo1JtA5bIJ7Sx0x6cxtjb6tMvyeEbePlyBW9GKAMIay0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f8317b5c7c9d35003702714375728b94&oe=5E367567

My question is what is Christmas gin? And how is it Christmassy.

Loughc wrote: »

I think M&S have a special gin infused with clementine!
    I wouldn't be into gin to be honest.

Quick reminder!
    4 days until 1st October.
    29 days until the clocks go back.
    35 days until Halloween.
    36 days until Christmas ads start.
    63 days until Thanksgiving.
    64 days until Black Friday and The Late Late Toy Show.
    66 days until 1st December.
    73 days until 8th December.(Traditional date for decorations being put up).
    89 days until Christmas Eve
    90 days until Christmas!

Quick reminder!
    35 days until Halloween.
    90 days until Christmas!

Giggidy!!!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Quick reminder!
    35 days until Halloween.
    90 days until Christmas!

Never knew there was a traditional day for putting up decorations. Every day is a school day as they say.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

Aldi did one last year with notes of mistletoe and myrrh (or something along those lines), it was rotten. I gave it to the mother in law :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me hopping in here, 1st year in new home and potentially having 16 for dinner! So excited we have spent the last 10yrs going between my folks & his folks.

Started my planning & shopping yesterday! Just getting ideas on recipes etc so I can have some trial runs.

House isn't huge either so taking measurements & organising a gazebo of some fashion to fit us all in.

Super excited :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me hopping in here, 1st year in new home and potentially having 16 for dinner! So excited we have spent the last 10yrs going between my folks & his folks.

Started my planning & shopping yesterday! Just getting ideas on recipes etc so I can have some trial runs.

House isn't huge either so taking measurements & organising a gazebo of some fashion to fit us all in.

Welcome CeeCee!! We love new posters here, you are very welcome! :)

Congrats on your new house, it's lovely having your first Christmas there, I think we had a Christmas Dinner thread last year with menu and cooking tips and advice! I must see if I can dig it out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

16 for dinner , fantastic always wanted something like this with my family but alas we aren't that close. Enjoy every minute of it and welcome to Boards and the Christmas Forum :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

16 for dinner , fantastic always wanted something like this with my family but alas we aren't that close. Enjoy every minute of it and welcome to Boards and the Christmas Forum :-)

Well we are hubby wife & 1 child so we are having people over from both sides of the families, some people can't make it & others may decide on christmas elsewhere but that is the list for now :)

Well we are hubby wife & 1 child so we are having people over from both sides of the families, some people can't make it & others may decide on christmas elsewhere but that is the list for now :)

We hosted christmas day for a large family gathering for the first time a couple of years ago, had an absolute ball, so have invited even more this year to repeat the madness. Trust me its a fantastic feeling to have a large group around to celebrate together, the work isnt as bad as you think beforehand & even if it ends up being more than you'd like its so worth it.

Have a ball, & most importantly, sod the stress & enjoy it :D

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

When I host dinner I usually make ahead at least all but one of the courses so I'm not missing out on the craic. So a cold starter, soup all done that morning and in the slow cooker being kept at perfect temperature, and a trifle for dessert.

We also did an option where everyone chose a course or part of the meal and prepped that so one did the meat, one did veggies, one did starters, one did dessert, one did the cocktails etc, and that made it easier on the purse and the stress levels!

Whatever way you plan it, it will be wonderful.

Prep and doing as much as you can beforehand is key. I try to do 90% of it on Christmas Eve. So up early ham & turkey on (yes I'm one of those heathens who cooks the turkey on Christmas Eve), sausage meat stuffing on the go. I peel my spuds and put them in water overnight, peel and cut all my veg, then bag them and stick them back in the fridge.

Then on Christmas Day, it's mostly reheating & just cooking the veg and spuds & gravy. We do cold starters too so it's just a little bit of prep for them - normally melon, pate or prawns depending on who wants what.

It'll be great, I absolutely love doing the Christmas Dinner :D

Firstly, welcome and con'grat on the new house.

We have hosted the last couple of years and while it can be a bit stressful it is has been very enjoyable and we plan to do it again this year. Being in your own house, especially with young kids, is much easier.

What we have done is split the courses across different families (all the same family if you get me). Last year, we did starters, my Mum & Dad brought the meats and my sister did the deserts and veg. Everyone brought different drinks.

Some stuff was done the night before, setting the table etc and some on the morning itself as we didn't have our starters till about 2pm.

Something we did last year was take a decent break 45 mins/hour between courses. This allowed people to properly enjoy each course and we gave out presents, played games etc in between. Worked really well so will suggest same again this year.

Everyone chipped in with the preparation, washing, stack and emptying dishwasher etc. Many hands make light work as they say.

Most important thing is to enjoy it. You are surrounded by people you love on one of the best days of the year :)

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Prep and doing as much as you can beforehand is key. I try to do 90% of it on Christmas Eve. So up early ham & turkey on (yes I'm one of those heathens who cooks the turkey on Christmas Eve), sausage meat stuffing on the go. I peel my spuds and put them in water overnight, peel and cut all my veg, then bag them and stick them back in the fridge.

Then on Christmas Day, it's mostly reheating & just cooking the veg and spuds & gravy. We do cold starters too so it's just a little bit of prep for them - normally melon, pate or prawns depending on who wants what.

It'll be great, I absolutely love doing the Christmas Dinner :D

I start my soup in November. :D

Things like sauces are also good to prepare ahead and Jamie Oliver gravy has about a million ingredients and stages but that like my soup can also be frozen and just produced on the morning all ready to go. A few nice home made ice-creams can be delicious and that's also one that's a prep-ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement