Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Last night we wnt on a walk to look at all the xmas trees was lovely and a nice cheap date haha. We are going to the panto tomorrow night to see beauty and the beast so im hoping the little one behaves herself. I want time to slow down its all going very quickly. What will you guys be doing on xmas eve? Im hoping to start some new traditions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

2 more days in work and I'm done!

I'm going to Carols by Candlelight in the NCH on Friday. So exited. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Have a wedding tomorrow, my lovely cousin is getting married and then in for 3 hours on Friday and then off for 2 weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ye are so lucky to be off work. I’m only off for 3 days Christmas Day/stephens day and the day after and then it’s back on Thursday. Enjoy your time off :)

I can believe we’re getting so close to the big day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm working 22,23 then off until 29,30 and 1st. Short shifts thankfully but not the easiest because the shift before mine will be short too so we will be somewhat chasing our tails to get the necessary things done. But at least it means everyone gets a bit of time off. I'm pretty chuffed because I usually work a couple of hours Christmas Eve, day and Stephens day.

My husband is finishing up tomorrow. He was gifted a turkey and ham MUCH bigger than we'd buy ourselves so I'll have fun coming up with recipes to use it all up!

I just put through the Tesco online shop, had a glass of baileys with iced coffee and a lovely chat on the couch. Gifts from my in laws arrived and I hid them. I don't know if little feegle will understand not to open them so I'll wait until Christmas Eve morning to put them out. At least then if there is any trouble it's only a day of wrestling him away.

I have gifts for the lovely ladies in playschool sorted and I'm happy with them. So tomorrow is his last day until Jan and he's very excited about giving two of the teachers in particular their gift.

I'm feeling very Christmassy. Hoping the little fella will nap tomorrow so when his daddy gets in we can have a mini celebration to kick it all off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Get paid today! 1 day early cos its Christmas!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm so excited about it being the last day that I was 40 minutes early for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last day today, finish at 2pm & then we're out for christmas lunch with the office. Got paid a week early (yesterday) so all set up now.
    Last few years this day has been quiet in the office with files & desks being tidied & PC's cleared of junk etc. But for me having been at a site meeting yesterday afternoon I have a pile of paperwork to catch up on & issued before close of business so thats my few hours sorted!

After today its unlikely I'll be on Boards until I'm back in work on the 2nd Jan, so I'd like to take the opportunity to wish you all (on the crimbo forum anyway) a very Merry Christmas, and a happy & healthy 2018, have a good one guys. It really has flown in, hasnt it! & before we know it we'll get to do it all again in 2018!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Last day in work today!! Not back until 2nd, our whole building shuts so we have to take the days.

Was thinking about getting the grocery shop done this evening but I'm so tired already I dunno if I'll manage it. Might go just before closing, get it done fast.

Going for some cocktails with friends tomorrow night, should be good fun, a chance to get dressed up and fancy! Appointment made for Chirstmas haircut tomorrow too, and will pick up the last present I need for my brother then too.

As for Christmas Eve, I'd like to make sure that we have it to ourselves as much as possible, although I might be fighting a loosing battle... Still, I'll make a nice dinner, we'll open pressies to each other then and watch A Muppet Christmas Carol.

I really hope it gets colder in the next few days, a warm Christmas Day is just weird. I always want to light the fire but then if it's warm it's just too warm with ovens and hobs going too and I end up sweating in the kitchen in my good outfit! :pac:

Having my elderly neighbour in for coffee and bikkies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I'm so excited about it being the last day that I was 40 minutes early for work.

I was 10 minutes early but still. ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I have a slight dilemma.... My wife and I agreed on 'no presents' for Christmas as we are just concentrating on the kids & Santa etc.

It now looks as though she's gotten me a gift. There was a secret phone call the other day, and then a mysterious package arrived to the house that was quickly hidden away. I mentioned it to her that I'd stuck to our agreement and not gotten her anything - and she smiled / laughed and said how she wasn't expecting anything.

But I can't leave her empty handed on Christmas Morning if I've gotten something and Santa has left lots for the kids!

I don't have a lot of time to get anything now either since I'm finishing up work today and we have plans each day from now until Christmas!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have a slight dilemma.... My wife and I agreed on 'no presents' for Christmas as we are just concentrating on the kids & Santa etc.

It now looks as though she's gotten me a gift. There was a secret phone call the other day, and then a mysterious package arrived to the house that was quickly hidden away. I mentioned it to her that I'd stuck to our agreement and not gotten her anything - and she smiled / laughed and said how she wasn't expecting anything.

But I can't leave her empty handed on Christmas Morning if I've gotten something and Santa has left lots for the kids!

I don't have a lot of time to get anything now either since I'm finishing up work today and we have plans each day from now until Christmas!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Make a dinner reservation online? Hotel break?

You can buy beauty vouchers online if she’s into waxing, tanning etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Loughc wrote: »
    Make a dinner reservation online? Hotel break?

You can buy beauty vouchers online if she’s into waxing, tanning etc.

It really depends on her likes/interest. I know if I or my family gave the above to my mother she'd have no interest in them and would rather an appliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Anyone else experiencing delays with An Post? My sister and I are in Dublin, my folks are in the west. My mother posted Christmas cards to us before last post on Monday, they still haven’t arrived! So it’s going to be at least four days! I'm heading home tomorrow. Might not even see it until the new year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It really depends on her likes/interest. I know if I or my family gave the above to my mother she'd have no interest in them and would rather an appliance.

Was he not asking for his wife and not his mother? I would be shot if I bought my wife an appliance :D

Was he not asking for his wife and not his mother? I would be shot if I bought my wife an appliance :D

I was basing it on what she'd like from my father as well. She has no intetest in beauty/hotels. My point was basically what does she like?

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing delays with An Post? My sister and I are in Dublin, my folks are in the west. My mother posted Christmas cards to us before last post on Monday, they still haven’t arrived! So it’s going to be at least four days! I'm heading home tomorrow. Might not even see it until the new year.

Seems normal enough here!

I’d be totally okay with an appliance I’d it was for the kitchen. A hoover would upset me! :D

An online voucher that can be printed is the way to go. You’ll find something to suit her! Or don’t buy her anything because that’s what you agreed and it’s her own fault for going against the plan.

I’m freeeeee! It’s the most Christmassy bus home of the year!

• Advertisement

Seems normal enough here!

Usually post from my folks arrives in 1-2 days. Never more than that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Has anyone else received a lot less cards than normal? We certainly have at home. I suppose a few will be hand delivered over the holidays thanks to €1 stamps - I think the full euro per card has put people off bothering but I'm really missing the excitement of there being something in the post every day or other day in the run up to Christmas.

Yep, definitely. We were only saying that yesterday. The euro makes it very expensive. We sent out Christmas emails in work rather than cards. Hopefully we’ll get a few more at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

My oh and i are heading out tonight for a few drinks with some old friends. Well when I say tonight, I'm getting ready now so will be out early enough :) So excited about it because we use meet up around this time every year but we haven't for the last few. Feeling very Christmassy today :)

miamee wrote: »
    Has anyone else received a lot less cards than normal? We certainly have at home. I suppose a few will be hand delivered over the holidays thanks to €1 stamps - I think the full euro per card has put people off bothering but I'm really missing the excitement of there being something in the post every day or other day in the run up to Christmas.

Yep. Only got one. My mother said her card haul is down on other years too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's sad but I suppose it's something that takes up a lot of time and now money. I'll keep sending my few anyway, I got two 'thank you' texts from overseas for cards we sent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I made a point of posting cards this year. I think it’s lovely to get a card in the post, so if people send one back then that’s great but if they don’t then that’s fine too.

I don’t think I’ll be well for Xmas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I don’t think I’ll be well for Xmas :(

Not sure I’ll be too well myself. Went for lunch today and just Home now. Too many G&Ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Think I've a kidney infection :(

Hopefully my GP can fit me in sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I've finally got all my presents, just need to wrap a few of them and then that's it, all sorted pressie wise anyway.

Doing our grocery shopping on Sat. Town is going to be absolutely jammers, not looking forward to it. Made a start today by going to Aldi and getting a few bits there. Even picked up a set of the 3 candles for €11.99, have one burning now and its gorgeous. Very scented. Might pick up more after Xmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement