Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Can't wait for this year's Gavin and Stacey special. :D
    DvB wrote: »
    Delighted to see the family man on the list too, love that movie.
    I've never heard of it. Must check it out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Can't wait for this year's Gavin and Stacey special. :D

I've never heard of it. Must check it out.

Oh Family Man is a very sweet film, it's an early 00's Nicolas Cage movie set at Christmas, what's not to enjoy! :)

Trapped In Paradise is another one :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also I can't wait for the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special, I'm really hoping it's not bad tho... been so long waiting for a follow up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Muppet's Christmas Carol is missing from that list of movies! No Christmas is complete without it!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Muppet's Christmas Carol is missing from that list of movies! No Christmas is complete without it!

Burn the list down!!! No Muppet Christmas Carol, that is easily the most go to of all the Christmas movies!!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Burn the list down!!! No Muppet Christmas Carol, that is easily the most go to of all the Christmas movies!!

We might have to pull together our own list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We might have to pull together our own list!

Sounds like a plan!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

May have got Santa sorted this morning with Toy Event at Lidl! :) Planned on going to preloved toys fair in few weeks time though so might have to return of it, may have got too much.....

Looks like I'm on good track to get our new house ready for Toy Show as the sale should complete this week hopefully! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

May have got Santa sorted this morning with Toy Event at Lidl! :) Planned on going to preloved toys fair in few weeks time though so might have to return of it, may have got too much.....

Looks like I'm on good track to get our new house ready for Toy Show as the sale should complete this week hopefully! :D

Fingers cross DD, exciting times :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We're having all new Christmas this year, my sister is hosting the family instead of my parents which is a big change but also means we all get to spend Christmas with my two little nephews - can't wait! Such a change but my mother is looking forward to not having to cook already (though she has offered to cook the turkey :pac:)

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    We're having all new Christmas this year, my sister is hosting the family instead of my parents which is a big change but also means we all get to spend Christmas with my two little nephews - can't wait! Such a change but my mother is looking forward to not having to cook already (though she has offered to cook the turkey :pac:)

We changed a good few years ago from Mam's to my Sister's and honestly it really didn't matter, you soon learn the magic moments are due to the people being there and not the location. :)

And my Mam still cooked most of the veg anyway :pac:

Same, we haven't had all of our family on Christmas Day now in a long time. My sister stays at home with her family & we normally have my parents & brother if he is not on duty. Then we all go to our home house on St. Stephen's Day. it's nearly nicer actually as there is less stress on St. Stephen's Day, it's a more relaxed event altogether!

We've hosted the last 2 years, after my sister doing it for 5/6 years and my folks before that. We'll have my folks, sister, brother in law, her 3, plus our 3. Then brother SIL and their two come on Stephens day for lunch. Think we are doing the same again this year. As Loughc said, its about the people not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

CheerLouth wrote: »

A Muppet Family Christrmas also missing. This is a must in our house every year. Both muppet xmas movies are essential for xmas buildup:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We are in rotation. two years ago it was my folks, last year was abroad, this year its her folks. Our parents live on opposite sides of the country so its not easy to flip between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We rotate between my parents and his parents but we went to a different relative's house a few years back and it just wasn't as enjoyable or cosy. I think it was too busy. It was nice to see everyone though and then back to my parents' house for the evening.

In other news, I'd love to be out in this!

https://twitter.com/WasatchSnow/status/1186124364632084481

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    We are in rotation. two years ago it was my folks, last year was abroad, this year its her folks. Our parents live on opposite sides of the country so its not easy to flip between the two.

We do something similar. The last few years we've either gone to my sisters, hosted ourselves or gone to my inlaws, this years we're hosting again so we're having both families come to ours for a big old family christmas. Fingers crossed it doesnt turn into the Griswold style christmas!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

We used to split up and go to our own parents' on Christmas Eve and stay there. But since we got married, we couldn't agree where to spend our first Christmas married so we have been going to both houses and having two dinners!! :P I told him it'd have to be the last time this year though as it won't be practical next year with 2 kids under 2! So I think we will probably stay at home next year although I told my father he can come if he bring the turkey! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have spent every Christmas since 1988 at my parents' current house - that's the year they moved into the house and I was too young to remember the house before it. I think I would find it really strange spending Christmas somewhere else but I know it will happen eventually, whether they move house or I spend it somewhere else. My fiancé is happy to spend Christmas in Ireland for the foreseeable future though, and we've booked our flights for December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

A lot find it strange but I'm 13 years with my husband (3 married) and we still split up every Christmas for our respective family Christmases. He's an only child in Belfast with elderly parents and doesn't want to leave them alone for Christmas. They have a very quiet Christmas Day just the 3 of them. I, on the other hand have a huge family in Tipperary and all the extended family come into our house the evening of Christmas Day for drinks and games. I couldn't face a quiet Christmas without the hubbub and chaos. So I head down home around the 23rd and come back up to Belfast on the 27th/28th. We skype each other on Christmas Day and open our presents together and that works fine for us. We miss each other but we can't think of a better way to do things that's fair to both of us. Having him and his folks join my family's Christmas would be a bad idea. They like their peace and quiet, we love the noise and drama.

• Advertisement

We used to split up and go to our own parents' on Christmas Eve and stay there. But since we got married, we couldn't agree where to spend our first Christmas married so we have been going to both houses and having two dinners!! :P

I lol'd at this, only because it reminded me of the Vicar of Dibley where she ate all the Christmas dinners :P

We are lucky that we live close to both sets of parents but once the front door went on our house, I said that I wasn't leaving it again on Christmas Day. So we see my parents normally for dinner if they come & then we normally go to see his family in the evening - which suits me down to the ground (just don't tell Mr. CL that :o :P)

Yes we used to do the alternative Christmases as well and we will most likely continue that way for the next while.

All this chatting about where we spend Christmas Day has gotten me very excited for this year!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,768 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas is always spent in my parents house where I live.
    They are no nieces and nephews and and my siblings don't get on so it's useful to have a neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

We used to go our separate ways for dinner and he would join me in my parent's house in the evening.
    Since 2017, our first year married, we decided to start a new tradition of having Christmas at home, just the two of us. Now we have our son and this is his first Christmas I'd say we'll continue our new tradition...and just add in a highchair :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,768 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where are all the Easter begrudgers?? If this was Christmas stock in May the internet would explode!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Where are all the Easter begrudgers?? If this was Christmas stock in May the internet would explode!!

...with excitement!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We used to split up and go to our own parents' on Christmas Eve and stay there. But since we got married, we couldn't agree where to spend our first Christmas married so we have been going to both houses and having two dinners!! :P

That is brilliant, two dinners. Do you score them against each other?

Mollyb60 that Christmas is actually very sweet. I love how your hubby doesn't want his folks alone, its great Christmas spirit. I have spent a few Christmas's around the world so the SKype opening presents brings back memories.

The in laws arrived last night and there was christmas spirit taken, rough today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Totally agree, I'm always saying this as well. There does be Easter eggs in the shops for 3 months and not a word.
    Mention Christmas before Dec 1st and there's always miserable gits ready to jump down your throat.

• Advertisement

I had three different people make scrooge'esk comments re Christmas over the weekend. However since we were at a wedding and they were all family relations, I bite my tongue and hummed Jingle Bells in my head :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement