Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

We had Christmas dinner today as I'm off to sea tomorrow for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

nlrkjos wrote: »
    We had Christmas dinner today as I'm off to sea tomorrow for 3 weeks.

Bon voyage

Apparently there is a party in my gaff as I’ve opened the Tayto party pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Apparently there is a party in my gaff as I’ve opened the Tayto party pick

Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S is still awake. Christmas is playing havoc with his sleep as he's a ball of barely contained excitement each night. Which has made my annual tradition of 'toymaking' after he goes to sleep a frigging nightmare. I'm finally nearly finished, I just have to do a quick boil and set once he's asleep but it's been a real challenge to get the work done in the hour or so between him falling asleep and me needing to go to bed myself. From next year on, I will do the custom work whenever in the year I'm inspired instead of cramming it into December.

• Advertisement

I opened the TAYTO Party Box and the Black Magic - which means...ITS CHRISTMAS!!!!

I opened the TAYTO Party Box and the Black Magic - which means...ITS CHRISTMAS!!!!

The joys of living alone- you want to do something- you just go ahead!!!!

/blows streamer alone with party hat on....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

I am looking for a tin of quality street. Anyone see it in supermarkets in south Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I am looking for a tin of quality street. Anyone see it in supermarkets in south Dublin?
    I'm not in South Dublin, but I have seen them in Supervalu. They were €8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Christmas food arrived today. Massively big turkey that I haven't a clue how to cook.

When young man went to bed myself and my husband had a glass of wine and a gin and tonic. (Mixed in a can. Not very posh). Opened the carton of celebrations and watched the comedy "pottersville" on Netflix. Nice movie. Not exactly a Christmas film but set during winter with a lot of snow and a mushy lovely ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hi!
    I did it in the past but if you look at the Supevalu click and collect website. You can select your local store and it will appear if they have them in stock.
    (This is to the best of my knowledge). They are €8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Christmas snacking has started. Cheese, crackers, chilli jam, tortilla chips, After Eights and a couple of homemade truffles. Oh and a vodka or three.

I had a small dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just a question to people on here. My mother is in her mid 50's(So she isn't ancient) the shops in my local town used have regular opening hours up until Christmas Eve when all the shops would stay open until 9PM in our local town. Then they'd all close and people would go to mass. Was this a common thing in the late sixties/early seventies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Freshpopcorn. Ye..same here......Dont know what the cities used to do.

On a side note, I posted about having palpatations cus so much to do in the Christmas Bargains thread. Hope LoughC does.nt
    ban me for a week for posting in wrong threadd......!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

miamee wrote: »
    Has anyone else received a lot less cards than normal? We certainly have at home. I suppose a few will be hand delivered over the holidays thanks to €1 stamps - I think the full euro per card has put people off bothering but I'm really missing the excitement of there being something in the post every day or other day in the run up to Christmas.

I put up on fb a month ago that I wasn't posting cards, but making a donation to a local charity. The numbers are most definitely down with the price of postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Hi to all of you lovely elves!

Dec. 22, can hardly believe it.
    On the way to work today, the streets were absolutely deserted.
    You could tell most of people are off already.
    I had to come in but hopefully for a few hrs. only and they let us out early.
    Cannot wait!!!

I'll be then using the time wisely and heading for the shops to pick up last minute bits and pieces so I don't have to do it tomorrow.
    Can only imagine what the town will be like.

For those of you who already started their celebrations, enjoy!!! 🎅

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Dec. 22, can hardly believe it.
    On the way to work today, the streets were absolutely deserted.
    You could tell most of people are off already.
    I had to come in but hopefully for a few hrs. only and they let us out early.
    Cannot wait!!!

At first I thought this was a poem. I kept tripping myself up trying to read it :P

My aunts are calling round after Xmas shopping for tea.

(I live in the town)

At first I thought this was a poem. I kept tripping myself up trying to read it

No, sorry, no poem.

Although the first two verses do kinda rhyme. 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I'm in my mams house at the minute. She only lives here a couple of years, doesn't really know the neighbour's and it's a fairly quiet area.

Anyway I said I'd go upstairs to have a lie down because I'm wrecked after being out last night and just as I was about to fall asleep, someone outside started singing "Do they know it's Christmas" at the top of their voice! :/:)

Sounds like a party still going on from last night. He's actually not a bad singer. Don't think the dogs appreciate it though. I think they're trying to tell him to shut up with their barking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Finally on holidays!! Yipeeeeee!! Not back till January 8th :D

jellybear wrote:
    Finally on holidays!! Yipeeeeee!! Not back till January 8th

Same here!!!
    On holidays until 8th January.

And also, all Christmas shopping finally done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Did someone say poem?

Getting into my scrubs
    There's work to be done
    I'm lucky I think
    My work is such fun

Tonight and tomorrow
    Two more days of nights
    Then it's off for the season
    To Be merry and bright

House is all cosy
    All ducks in a row
    Bring on Christmas
    I'm ready to go!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That’s brilliant!!! I love a good Christmas poem!

Watching Arsenal v Liverpool now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Watching Arsenal v Liverpool now

Same I love watching the football and darts at Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Where as the week gone only catching up on things here now had a dinner out with a pal this week lots of shopping and an afternoon tea with my mam

Finished up today longest day ever not a very Christmassy environment in work at all what is wrong with some people one person in particular it was horrid that's all I'll say anyway finished to till the 2nd
    Stripped boxers and Nollag Shona I hope you are on the mend for the 25th
    Great poems guys 👍🏻
    I couldn't face another shop today I did the big shop yesterday as I was off I just cabbage, carrots parsnips, fresh cream and turkey left to get and fresh bread for the sambos
    The OH is watching the match I said go ahead so I can catch up on here :) having a glass of wine with cheese and crackers
    I'm recording The Holiday going to have an early night a bit of housework in the morning in my house and my mams house before my nail appointment, then my window cleaner is coming, my pal and her kids dropping by too to exchange gifts, might try watch a movie with my mam too, some other pals might pop by too at some stage
    I've definitely not posted as many cards as usual we haven't received as many either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Outdoor Lass how you getting on are you making progress?
    Posy hope your enjoying your carols
    What's everyone up to tomorrow ?

Loughc wrote: »
    Same I love watching the football and darts at Christmas

had a fb over for first half, arsenal come alive in 2nd! Everybody scores! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Kidney infection and anti biotics for a week :( No champers for me on the 25th so I made up for it by getting extra desserts in Lidl :P

I got their Croquembouche for Xmas Eve & Day

Croquembouche.png

Got their Sticky Chocolate Pudding and their profiteroles in dark chocolate for NYE.

Yes, I love profiteroles!!

Picked up this as well, hopefully can have it on NYE, we'll see.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=5856

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement