Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

miamee wrote: »
    I'll probably be freezing my butt off at the seaside - OH wants to do a Christmas morning swim at the Forty Foot. To clarify, i will be standing by with a towel and a hot drink, I won't be getting in :D

You're the real hero in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

At this time I'm usually taking a bag of presents into our neighbour's house. I get handed either a vodka or can of Bulmers with a spread of sweets and crisp and we catch up as the kids open their presents and show me what Santa's brought. It's become a lovely tradition as I normally don't get to see them much during the year since moving counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Last bank holiday before Christmas and nothing wrapped yet - gonna get started today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So what will everyone be doing at this time in two months? I reckon I’ll have been awake for a couple of hours and will be just about to wake my poor husband up. No lie in for him. :D

Should be having starters around now or just finished and be getting the main course ready. Either way will be in the kitchen with a drink in one hand, spoon/knife/ladle etc in the other and party hat on head :)

Just spent the last hour wrapping presents. I have everything for the oh’s nephews wrapped and a few other things too. I’m delighted with myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Just spent the last hour wrapping presents. I have everything for the oh’s nephews wrapped and a few other things too. I’m delighted with myself :)

Very organized!

We lit the fire for the first time this winter/autumn this evening and Mrs H came home with some Mistletoe and Fir candles and diffusers from M&S.
    Very Christmassy. :)

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very organized!

We lit the fire for the first time this winter/autumn this evening and Mrs H came home with some Mistletoe and Fir candles and diffusers from M&S.
    Very Christmassy. :)

Definitely a night for the fire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love this time of year. Everything's getting so cosy and Christmassy. :D

I wore Christmas socks today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Lidl catalogue for next week is pretty much a Christmas Special.
    All their Christmas party food is in it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

And by now just FYI, we’ll be on the couch half watching, half sleeping, half drunk, something Christmassy, with our bellies sticking out a half metre from our bodies cos, yet, again, Christmas dinner has killed us and we can’t really function :D:eek: we’ll have that ‘I’m soooo full I can’t eat one other thing or drink another drop, yet my Christmas body says hey get the quality street out’!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Went out this morning for work at half seven and boom it was cold and freezing. The car was full of ice. I was actually delighted as I didn't expect it to be so cold. I got the de-icer out from the boot before I went on my way. It was a merrily morning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,765 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Lidl catalogue for next week is pretty much a Christmas Special.
    All their Christmas party food is in it :D

Generally good leaflets from the supermarkets for the next two months.

Enjoy your last day of Summertime and remember to put your clocks back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah my dears! I am falling by the wayside as the dratted illness CFS/ME has taken over. So a low key time here.. And I decided anyways to follow my old way of nothing of Christmas until Advent.

: Then a slow gentle build up ;will not be able t go over to shop so deep in websites etc. I have my own traditions even though solitary.

If anyone wants a small hand made Christmas angel. about 3 inches high, happy to supply! Handwork abed much of each day and my cats now have superb bedding knitted with oddments !

Hoping to stay around a while as I love your enthusiasm and energy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Christmas puddings were started today. Fruit, ground almonds, lemon zest etc now sitting soaking up the whiskey and lemon juice.

We hope to start steaming on Monday morning.

It's already beginning to smell a lot like Christmas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wore Christmas socks today. :)

I bought 6 pairs of lovely "Enable Ireland" Christmas socks today. :)

Oh, and I'm on my second box of mince pies... and I've been wondering if mincemeat would be a good filling/topping for toast... or even to add flavour to porridge. Must try it. All for science, of course.

New Home wrote: »

Oh, and I'm on my second box of mince pies... and I've been wondering if mincemeat would be a good filling/topping for toast... or even to add flavour to porridge. Must try it. All for science, of course.

I approve of the porridge idea. Not so sure about the toast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about French toast? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can confirm it goes perfectly with porridge.

• Advertisement

What about French toast? :D

Try it and report back!

We're into the fifities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Suddenly realised I have four shopping days until Christmas! My groceries come across once a fortnight! I really have to get to work... a dear one has reminded me that puddings do well in the slow cooker so we may yet have home made.

So much for not planning early! THANK YOU!

But no eating Christmas food yet. NO WAY!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We're into the fifities!
    It's just flying by! :eek: :D

I like this stuff!
    72840763_1427296524103204_9171119413192032256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQnrYIbbBOESEliEryaloiWAujS6HqRgIeQmVF2OoAZ0J9DgasKysBF8Jzad8itJ7vc&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=9e13cd8a050b5009cc51822c08e5411b&oe=5E5E8E8C
    76616476_1427296564103200_3070324875546591232_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQlaMnxmxgMjOkroO8a_4sKexkcWw-vqnMuX9xvsPG8kdFtcINYdt4pLU7Ztfx7tlVA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=0ab8388c5e1e827fb8c867335081f38f&oe=5E27968E
    73415933_1427296607436529_6512171732231520256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQk6fMRMfkw1UyPdiN-GgAVaOMA9tefB_vGPvt7cfl-wumNL6BATq34EUWcIod2iGZ8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=ca461a0d0cb004f6d8192c59fb21673c&oe=5E1DA813
    72782883_1427296657436524_3412125425298571264_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQkno4FjrYNfwv6xDWJrxoATYUu4n4lPSKf_LRd0ohS5Q03BmrEB2e2YAMJoHPnxLf8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=690737820a7bba87416f3ea6d6c3e33f&oe=5E5A6AEE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Beautiful cups and saucers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭matchthis

Really nice mugs, could you say where you got them?

matchthis wrote: »
    Really nice mugs, could you say where you got them?

A shop called Pauline's gifts in Mitchelstown, Cork shared them on Facebook as some of there Chtistmas stock.
    Some of the stock is Newgrange. So, it should be in other gift shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

.. and I've been wondering if mincemeat would be a good filling/topping for toast... or even to add flavour to porridge. Must try it. All for science, of course.

Last year I tried it as topping on oatcakes. Experiment was successful !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Golden Discs has opened in Sligo on Saturday and I was in it today. Great to see new shops opening and great for Christmas gifts. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement