Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Don't forget the Daim!!:D

Their decorations are very cleverly placed just before the checkouts...perfect for a last minute splurge :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I've a feeling it'll be more expensive than my husband is expecting!
    TRS30 wrote: »
    I find it impossible to spend less in IKEA then anticipated!
    If IKEA was a person, it would be Dermot Bannon. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    If IKEA was a person, it would be Dermot Bannon. :pac:

VERY GOOD!!! :D:D:D

And IKEA has a mezzanine and everything :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I really dont get the love for IKEA, don't really like their stuff & can't stand the shop, as the Mrs is the same we thankfully avoid it at all costs.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I'm with you DVB, not keen on it at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

I also hate it.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

I have just agreed to host 16 of my in-laws between Christmas and New Year for a lunch. I have realised that three are vegans, two are vegetarians, one is a coeliac and one a diabetic. This is going to require some thinking. When it is all over I think I should retire with a nice glass of wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DvB wrote: »
    I really dont get the love for IKEA, don't really like their stuff & can't stand the shop, as the Mrs is the same we thankfully avoid it at all costs.
    kitten_k wrote: »
    Loughc wrote: »
    I also hate it.... :)
    Aw man I love Ikea. Pretty much my only skill in life is getting in and out of Ikea in less than 20 minutes. I once had to go on a Sunday afternoon and managed it in 16 minutes. It's my proudest achievement. (I lead a very very sad life.) But if you don't like the stuff then it's hell. I'm not that keen on their Christmas range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Makes sense. Just wondering if I'll have to pull an all nighter if we are close to beating 2018 in the last couple of days :D

Ah worry not! I am here this year ;)

Eleysian wrote: »
    I have just agreed to host 16 of my in-laws between Christmas and New Year for a lunch. I have realised that three are vegans, two are vegetarians, one is a coeliac and one a diabetic. This is going to require some thinking. When it is all over I think I should retire with a nice glass of wine!

Oh wow you have much better patience than I do to be dealing with that many people for a lunch! Especially so many different dietary requirements.

If all else fails... Melon for the Vegans, Vegetarians, Coeliac and Diabetic. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The are giving them away
    YK0iuGf.jpg

Was just about to post that. Stocked up today.

Lidl are also doing 2 trays of coke for €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SarahLil wrote: »
    Love there and The Half Way House pub decorations

Gingerman is always done up ready well too!

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh wow you have much better patience than I do to be dealing with that many people for a lunch! Especially so many different dietary requirements.

If all else fails... Melon for the Vegans, Vegetarians, Coeliac and Diabetic. :pac:

Great suggestion and maybe for dessert as well:pac:
    Actually we haven’t entertained as much as we might have done in recent years so I don’t mind. It includes my uncle in law and his wife who are in their late 80s so seize the day while we can. I have been thinking of the menu but then realise something doesn’t suit some one. The uncle and his wife would be traditional meat, roasties and veg so.... will have to be inventive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We were the hosts for Christmas Day for many years, with combinations of ourselves, the kids and their spouses, our parents, and some siblings. Up to 16 or 18 people.

For the past number of years we've gone to one or other of the kid's houses and already they're looking to see who we'll be going to this year. Personally, I preferred being the host and having everybody come here.

If you have a choice do you prefer being waited on hand & foot on Christmas day, being at home as host, or a quiet day home alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just saw that brilliant Dunnes Christmas ad. The one with the airplane:. D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Watching a Christmas movie on Netflix 🎅🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

m17 wrote: »
    The are giving them away

Where are these?

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Watching a Christmas movie on Netflix 🎅ðŸ»

I watched Christmas with the kranks earlier. Gonna watch elf later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

tomo75 wrote: »
    Where are these?

Dunnes!

• Advertisement

tomo75 wrote: »
    Where are these?

Dunnes stores

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Eleysian wrote: »

Do a few stuffed butternut squashes for the vegans & veggies, can't go wrong! There are some excellent recipes and it is really easy to whip up and really tasty.

Dessert wise- if you don't fancy making things from scratch, Tesco and other shops have excellent vegan desserts (including christmas pudding)

Additionally, if you can at all, I would recommend getting your hands on the Cornucopia cookbook, full of vegan dishes, will give you some food for thought (Id make the same for both vegans & veggies, make it less complicated for yourself)

^^^ Thanks for the suggestions dobby896. I have the Cornucopia cookbook plus have some nice Middle Eastern cookbooks. With everyone to consider I don’t want to over-complicate things so I appreciate the advice about catering for the vegans/veggies together. I would like to host a good lunch/day for everyone.

We were the hosts for Christmas Day for many years, with combinations of ourselves, the kids and their spouses, our parents, and some siblings. Up to 16 or 18 people.

For the past number of years we've gone to one or other of the kid's houses and already they're looking to see who we'll be going to this year. Personally, I preferred being the host and having everybody come here.

If you have a choice do you prefer being waited on hand & foot on Christmas day, being at home as host, or a quiet day home alone?

I generally don’t like being waited on hand and foot. I like looking after people in general. We have left plenty of time for quieter days over the festive period. I do love when the hosting has gone well, everyone has left happy, the tidying up is done, into the Christmas PJs, chill and nice glass of wine in the glow of the Christmas tree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding Dunnes guys.
    Do any of ye know when they send out their vouchers for Christmas.
    We have little points built up but they normally send some €10 off €50 and €20 off €100 which would be useful for stocking up.

m17 wrote: »
    The are giving them away
    YK0iuGf.jpg

WHERE? Hope supervalu follow suit … lol.. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Dunnes!

DRAT! lol!

Supervalu have a limited off of 2 for E10, what runs out on Weds; my order gets put up on Thursday...

Will wait now until December. lol....I never usually shop until then except that Dunnes always have small cheaper frozen turkeys around now. We shall see! Far too early for me..SV will match the other shops at some stage. If not will just buy less..fine!

this lovely thread is not good for me! frustration hovers ! the aldi turkey sandwich was the last straw! AY ME!

Last year was lovely. Still had the car and it was my last trip out. Went to Castlebar, for Aldi and Dunnes, then to Westport for Lidl and tesco. And dropped in at the MEals on Wheels lunch club for their /my excellent Christmas dinner, a rare treat.

Met someone I knew in Tesco car park who bought me the best coffee I have had in a long while , then home to the island..peaceful.

So this year is a great change and a challenge to be met head on! Love that the news is being kept up like this! WONDERFUL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Heroditas wrote: »
    Gingerman is always done up ready well too!

I walk by it everyday on the way to the station. I love how you can see it lit up, peaking out behind the Davenport (?) as you come down Merrion square.

We have hosted the last few years and are again this year. While it is a bit more work and pressure (I hate to use the word stress) I definitely prefer it to going to someone else house. Especially since its easier for the kids to be at home as they are younger. Everyone who comes brings some food/drinks with them and also helps out during the day so it's not like we are left to do everything on our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I walk by it everyday on the way to the station. I love how you can see it lit up, peaking out behind the Davenport (?) as you come down Merrion square.

We have hosted the last few years and are again this year. While it is a bit more work and pressure (I hate to use the word stress) I definitely prefer it to going to someone else house. Especially since its easier for the kids to be at home as they are younger. Everyone who comes brings some food/drinks with them and also helps out during the day so it's not like we are left to do everything on our own.

Ditto, whan I worked on Merrion Square I used to love the walk around to the station at christmas time, seeing the place lit up was really a great way to start the journey home.

We're hsoting again this year as well, its not really our turn but its the one way that guarantees we have everyone together on the one day from both families and we have the space so why not, we'll (hopefully) have all the work on the house finished so we have no excuss not to be set up for it too. Really looking forward to it now I must admit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement