Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just caught up as was away in sunny Spain for a few days! Was lovely to see some sunshine and lovely to come back to see how active this place is :D

Just ordered my Christmas cards from Make-A-Wish - can't wait to get them now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Just caught up as was away in sunny Spain for a few days!

This sounds like heaven!

I went to Lidl this morning to pick up those scented sticks for the Christmas tree but most of them smelled like bathroom cleaner. The Spiced Pine Cone was the best scent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We were the hosts for Christmas Day for many years, with combinations of ourselves, the kids and their spouses, our parents, and some siblings. Up to 16 or 18 people.

For the past number of years we've gone to one or other of the kid's houses and already they're looking to see who we'll be going to this year. Personally, I preferred being the host and having everybody come here.

If you have a choice do you prefer being waited on hand & foot on Christmas day, being at home as host, or a quiet day home alone?

I've only hosted a Christmas dinner once and that was in November :pac: My sister was heading off the Australia for a year later in the month so I surprised her with a family Christmas dinner before she left. Now there are too many people to fit in my little apartment so we have generally gone to my parents. This year my sister and her husband are hosting so it will probably be more of a group effort than when we go to Mam and Dads - Mam likes us to keep out from under her feet :D but it will be nice for her to be able to relax (she won't, but she'll have the option)
    I'd love to host a big family dinner, maybe next year if we've managed to move house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

miamee wrote: »
    This year my sister and her husband are hosting so it will probably be more of a group effort than when we go to Mam and Dads - Mam likes us to keep out from under her feet :D but it will be nice for her to be able to relax (she won't, but she'll have the option)

This is such a common trait amongst mothers, isn't it? It used to annoy me but I've come to realise that there's no point in fighting it! It's almost an annual tradition at this stage that we all shout at my mother-in-law to sit down and stop hovering around the table while we're stuffing our faces.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

:D Yes! "Does anyone want more potatoes?" "Does anyone want more gravy?" "Does anyone want more..."

"Mam will you sit down and eat your dinner!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

This sounds like heaven!

It was lovely, helped me to beat my blues that I find I get when the clocks go back! Just nice to feel some heat! But back to reality now & heading full steam ahead in to Christmas prep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

:D Yes! "Does anyone want more potatoes?" "Does anyone want more gravy?" "Does anyone want more..."

Add to this...
    "Are you sure it's okay?....Was the veg done alright?...Was it all hot enough?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My mam cooks Christmas dinner, every year we offer to help, she says no and then gives out after dinner about being left to do everything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A house down my lane had Christmas lights up, really cheer me up as had a bad day at work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is literally spot on!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    A house down my lane had Christmas lights up, really cheer me up as had a bad day at work.

Sorry to hear you had a bad day in work. I love how Christmas cheer can wash away bad feelings :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We got our first snow yesterday, most of it has gone but the temperature is below freezing so it feels like proper winter now. We’re forecast to be getting 5-10cm of snow on Monday so I’d say that will stay put.

I went for a walk around our neighbourhood as the sun was setting, a few people have got their houses decorated with outdoor lights which is lovely to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

I am going to spend tomorrow sorting through Christmas trees, lights and decorations. I might even listen to a great audio that I have of the Christmas Carol. I am beyond excited for Christmas!

Where would I get thick tinsel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

kitten_k wrote: »

I have gotten thick tinsel in Dunnes before, it was about 5euro a piece, I use it on my banisters with lights over it and its lasted well, we are in our house 5 years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kitten_k wrote: »

I saw very very very very thick tinsel in a local hardware/homeware shop that traded under one of the topline stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I saw very very very very thick tinsel in a local hardware/homeware shop that traded under one of the topline stores.

Or plait. braid three strands of the ordinary tinsel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    DRAT! lol!

Supervalu have a limited off of 2 for E10, what runs out on Weds; my order gets put up on Thursday...

Will wait now until December. lol....I never usually shop until then except that Dunnes always have small cheaper frozen turkeys around now. We shall see! Far too early for me..SV will match the other shops at some stage. If not will just buy less..fine!

All will be well!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Or plait. braid three strands of the ordinary tinsel?

I'd describe it as the same thickness as a garland !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched 'Better Watch Out' over the weekend as it's a scary movie so it fitted in not long after Halloween. It is very Christmassy so it gets me in the spirit.

We have selected a number of movies that span the period between 15th Nov(when we put up out tree, less than a month from flying home) until the 12th Dec. We have put the name of each movie on a post it and mixed them up and put them in an advent style calendar.

We went to the hardware store which has loads of decs to get ideas. I need more garland and wreaths for outside. I am not buying anymore outdoor lights as it's a bit mad already.

In relation to cooking for coeliacs it's really just the gravy and the stuffing. (and packaged Roasites, so if you were planning on using them you may have to make your own). For the stuffing I just sweat onions, finely chopped sage and thyme them put gluten free bread, gluten free sausages (cooked) in a blender with the sweated mix and blend. Then put it in a bread baking tin and bake. Its very nice.

• Advertisement

70176906_1263677303804450_1140872746952032256_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=106&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQmwtKjvnOavQBgNXSMaGIIdOhqXW5dFOTqKRm67wTXknicS5e04J4oB8W3yuzg5bkk&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=911395db8cc77700e98c5cd32c0f6daf&oe=5E4EC5DF

These are one of the things I'd say I miss most about school.
    75356957_2923274047705474_2552784559078899712_o.png.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQmeEcN_LwGv61esBr_IRDBKf7c3mqLtNUQsT4AW7VhfMuc-oETWZCoZVt30ln7pPZE&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=db0991a1a0103097f5b7b7754e4b037e&oe=5E4FDF01

Now that is a blast from the past!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Just drove past a house across the road from me and they have their tree up after a trying afternoon it did lift me now home for the evening roast dinner soon

Was in Homestore today and the girl said the text about the half price Christmas lights text will be going out on Friday and they will then be on general sale on Monday.

I don’t think I’m on the text list so if anyone gets the text and doesn’t mind sharing it send me a PM please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Saw the new Aldi Kevin the Carrot ad yesterday. It was very good but what have they got against Brussel Sprouts? Making them out to be the Christmas bad guy! :(

DenMan wrote: »
    Saw the new Aldi Kevin the Carrot ad yesterday. It was very good but what have they got against Brussel Sprouts? Making them out to be the Christmas bad guy! :(

Last hear parsnips were evil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

75356957_2923274047705474_2552784559078899712_o.png.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQmeEcN_LwGv61esBr_IRDBKf7c3mqLtNUQsT4AW7VhfMuc-oETWZCoZVt30ln7pPZE&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=db0991a1a0103097f5b7b7754e4b037e&oe=5E4FDF01

All those annuals are available in my child's school. They don't get how sentimental I am when I see them. They bring me right back. They haven't changed a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just seen this and love it.
    Too early for wine but not too early for: Wine Bottle Christmas Trees
    I would see it well in either a garden or in the right room

christmas-tree-wine-rack-1572035046.jpg

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/a13148815/wine-bottle-christmas-tree-ideas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Showed this to my wife last night and it started a good reminiscing chat about our school days :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement