Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

thanks Jude and Cheerlouth

Yes Jude I agree with Cheerlouth we need to hear this story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ah I've told it before. We had a manger (crib) given my to us by a Gran who was mad for lordes and knock, and would go to Jerusalem once a year. I decided it was boring and replaced the figures with army men and he-man etc. My mum went mental as it was no joke to her mum (the holy gran). Sadly no matter how many times the wooden spoon came out I couldn't remember where the baby jesus went. He was a green toy solider for a long time.

Brilliant Jude thats a cracker :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    On happier things, I'm on my sixth box of mince pies. :D

I think I'm on my 9th box... and I bought two more today...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SarahLil wrote: »
    Brilliant Jude thats a cracker :)

It really is a Christmas cracker, I'm cracking up at the idea of a green army solider in the crib in lieu of baby Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think I'm on my 9th box... and I bought two more today...

I really don't like Mince Pies, I love everything about the concept except the filling :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Aaaaawh. :(

Oh well, more for me! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I am shocked and disgusted the Christmas moderator doesn't like mince pies!

I am shocked and disgusted the Christmas moderator doesn't like mince pies!

I don't like Cinnamon either :pac: :D

Motion to have the Mod banned!

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    I must be on a go slow this year. I've been abstaining as much as possible in a vain attempt to not get fat so have done pretty much nothing in terms of christmas foodstuffs.... must make a greater effort from Dec. 1st

I'm the same DVB a mince pie has not crossed my lips we won't have to a wait much longer though, I'm thinking of getting myself a Galaxy selection box for the Toyshow

Can you actually believe Christmas fm is Thursday week and the Toyshow the next day

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't like mince pies either, or in fact anything with dried fruit really (Christmas cake, Christmas pudding etc)

I could murder some batch bread though after reading this morning's posts!

*faints*

We will have to Ad Christmas batch to the lists, since a lot of us can agree on it :)

I'm the same DVB a mince pie has not crossed my lips we won't have to a wait much longer though, I'm thinking of getting myself a Galaxy selection box for the Toyshow

Can you actually believe Christmas fm is Thursday week and the Toyshow the next day

ChristmasFM next Thursday is just brilliant I love listening to it in the mornings on the way into work.
    Scarinae wrote: »
    I don't like mince pies either, or in fact anything with dried fruit really (Christmas cake, Christmas pudding etc)

I could murder some batch bread though after reading this morning's posts!

Same as you, all dried fruit, Christmas Cake and Puddings I just can't stand.

Yule logs on the other hand...

And I would also murder for batch bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

Same as you, all dried fruit, Christmas Cake and Puddings I just can't stand.

Yule logs on the other hand...

And I would also murder for batch bread.

I'm another one who doesn't like mince pies, puddings etc :pac: A yule log is very tasty though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What!!??

So many forum folk dont like fruit cake, pudding and mince pies!!??! Thats outrageous!!

I love fruit cakes of every description, even fruit scones are the business, but mince pies are the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned, I love the things & they really are the single most identifiable christmas foodstuff IMO.

Them & batch :D (so glad I got the love of batch bread going here today!!)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Ok, I'll have to admit it - Tesco's Finest Mince Pies are just about meh. I can't believe I'm actually typing that. In my defence, I never had one of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I will try (no guarantee of success!) to hold off on the really bad (good) stuff till at least mid December and then flood gates open for about three weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yeah they aren't great now in fairness. The cheaper ones are actually nice from the Tesco range.

I think I might bake something for the Toy Show! I've been thinking of cake baking for the last wee while but we haven't really had an excuse for a cake - I think the Toy Show might do it! :D

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll have to admit it - Tesco's Finest Mince Pies are just about meh. I can't believe I'm actually typing that. In my defence, I never had one of them before.

Last year the tesco cheaper ones tasted better. The dunnes stores ones I tend to find quite nice, especially their gourmet ones... :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're currently planning our pudding recipe. We can't remember if it's double or tripled!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The M&S puff pastry mince pies warmed up with a blob of cream are the business!

DvB I am like you I love fruit cakes, fruit scones.... I love freshly baked fruit soda from SuperValu I nearly eat the whole loaf :)

DvB I am like you I love fruit cakes, fruit scones.... I love freshly baked fruit soda from SuperValu I nearly eat the whole loaf :)

Fruit soda is the business as well, I've had to stop buying them recently though as I was going through a full one in 2 or 3 days...

Would murder a fruitcake or mince pie now:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    I don't like Cinnamon either :pac: :D

Don’t start that debate again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I'm another one who doesn't like mince pies, puddings etc :pac: A yule log is very tasty though!

And again here :p

Geez , I always thought I was the odd one not liking any of them , but no , there's more like me here woohoo :D

I've ordered about 12 boxes of The Foods of Athenry's ones. They are THE best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Another here who doesn’t like Christmas cake, pudding or mince pies.
    I was thinking of Yule logs earlier today. Any recommendations or will you be baking your own?

OMG the talk of batch loaf, home cooked ham.... I cannot wait until Christmas Eve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My biggest decision when it comes to mince pies is what to have on them, ice cream, pouring cream or whipped cream. Normally ends up being all 3!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement