Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Ah lads, I'm seriously questioning how you can call yourselves elves when you don't like so many Christmas treats!!:P

I just had smoked ham for dinner. Twas delish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Minced Pies and pudding are my staples but I don't like fruit cake.

As a family we have a plethora of events leading up to Christmas, so advent is going to be a form of celebration in preparation for the arrival of the Baby Jesus. We used to observe an almost Lenten fast in Advent but this year we've decided it's going be a joyous lead up to the big day while keeping cognisant of the real meaning of Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Don’t start that debate again :D

You picked up on that haha :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Love mince pies and pudding

Hate Christmas cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    You picked up on that haha :P

Oh yes who can forget the great cinnamon debate!!

Just took all the decorations out of the attic, the bedroom part of the attic looks like a bomb hit it!

Have my Christmas duvets in the wash to freshen them up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ordered these for the toy show

attachment.php?attachmentid=495659&d=1574201017

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

How cool is this 'real' 7ft fake tree from Littlewoods? It is even fir scented! :pac:

P3DRX_SQ1_0000000088_NO_COLOR_SLf?$266x354_standard$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

EJusN7hX0AAt0V1?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Those cupcakes look unbelievable. Great idea. I'd just love if I got tickets. It'd be a great experience. Here's hoping I won't be on the couch in my pj's with a bottle of wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I wasn't a fan of Christmas cake/pudding until last year. I think I just had a link between them making me sick as a kid. But last year I got an amazing gluten free hamper full of stuff like Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies and now I'm a convert. Not crazy about them though I am more a savory person anyway but a nice treat once a year.

Since my gran passed when I was a young kid we now a few decades later laugh at G.I. baby jesus. My mum still doesn;t see the funny side of my bro eating the nice glazed part of a ham on christmas eve. He also has a worse Christmas eve story that I may save till closer to the day.

P.s. Cinnamon is evil.

• Advertisement

I'm good enough with mist Christmas cake, puddings, mince pies. However I avoid currants.
    Yule logs are okay once they aren't to heavy.

I was never a big fan of those pantone, Italian cakes, etc.

Marzipan is also awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jude13 wrote: »
    Marzipan is also awful.

You should be thread banned for saying that.......:D

I looooovvvve marzipan :)

Makes me have that liquid at the back of my mouth feeling that Im about to puke thinking about it.

All rainy and stormy here so it feels Christmasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just about to leave for a site meeting and its miserable out, have mtv christmas on in the background and it would be so tempting to grab a blanket and stay here with Christmas tunes and movies for the day, alas, responsibilities take over... have a good day folks, 5 weeks to go!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Just about to leave for a site meeting and its miserable out, have mtv christmas on in the background and it would be so tempting to grab a blanket and stay here with Christmas tunes and movies for the day, alas, responsibilities take over... have a good day folks, 5 weeks to go!

Yes, was a tough one getting out of bed this morning. Elf 2 has a bad cough had him in one ear and Elf 3 is teething so had her in the other ear so down on sleep on top of the lovely weather.

This is my 10 mins of peace sitting at my desk, cup of tea checking the Christmas forum before getting stuck into the list of things I have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

I just keep reminding myself, 4 more Monday mornings of 2019 to battle & it all seems so do-able :D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just keep reminding myself, 4 more Monday mornings of 2019 to battle & it all seems so do-able :D:D:D

LOVE that way of looking at it!

Monday's are the worse so 4 left is VERY do-able.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jude13 wrote: »
    Marzipan is also awful.
    Cork Lass wrote: »
    You should be thread banned for saying that.......:D

I looooovvvve marzipan :)

Good marzipan is goooood, but bad marzipan, with that fake bitter almond/cyanidey flavor is awful. AWFUL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys none of you have lived until you’ve had the Christmas Chocolate Brownies from The Cupcake Bloke. He puts a layer of amazing mince pie filling on top of his fudgy brownies before baking and they are something else.

• Advertisement

Guys none of you have lived until you’ve had the Christmas Chocolate Brownies from The Cupcake Bloke. He puts a layer of amazing mince pie filling on top of his fudgy brownies before baking and they are something else.

You had me until mince pie filling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So what you're saying is that The Cupcake Bloke has ruined both Christmas and brownies? I used to like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

I think I need to retry a Christmas cake.

I have definite tarnished my taste buds with dodge marzipan! :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So what you're saying is that The Cupcake Bloke has ruined both Christmas and brownies? I used to like him.

You don’t understand. They’re AMAZING. I was skeptical too but they blew my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ignore the heathens above b&c that sounds amazing... would love to try them.... nom nom!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Love Christmas cake and mince pies. I have never tried Christmas pudding or panettone cake. I am tempted to try panettone cake this year. Would anyone recommend where to get nicest one. Has to be good since it a first try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

newmem wrote: »
    Love Christmas cake and mince pies. I have never tried Christmas pudding or panettone cake. I am tempted to try panettone cake this year. Would anyone recommend where to get nicest one. Has to be good since it a first try.

The shop in Carluccio's on Dawson street are suppose to have very nice ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

newmem wrote: »
    TRS30 wrote: »
    The shop in Carluccio's on Dawson street are suppose to have very nice ones.

As good as the boxed ones can be (and let's face it, a lot of those are like cardboard), if you can get your hands on a patisserie/bakery-made one, you'll be in heaven. Sometimes TK Maxx has them (or something very close to them), they're usually wrapped in fabric or in fancy wrapping. If they aren't as soft as a cloud, then they're not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went to Lidl at lunchtime to get some cheese and apples. Came out with them and also a tin of Afternoon Tea and Chocolate Kimberley. Sure they were €9.99 each.
    It would have been rude not to...

• Advertisement

An issue I find with Christmas cakes, puddings and mince pies is often the shop ones can be disappointing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement