Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I ordered it in my Tesco shop this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to buy batch bread this weekend... the cravings are real!

I should hit up Brennans for a commission LOL.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I might have to request that my parents have a fresh loaf of batch bread on standby when I get in from the airport. I will eat the end slice, of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Scarinae wrote: »
    I might have to request that my parents have a fresh loaf of batch bread on standby when I get in from the airport. I will eat the end slice, of course.

There and then. At arrivals. Dry, no butter. Whilst singing your favourite Christmas song. It's the new Christmas homecoming tradition dontchaknow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Turkey ordered today - it's getting very real now.

Ordered my 1st ever turkey this year & boy did I feel like a grown up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I haven't had batch bread in years. I don't actually think I can get it up here (Belfast) or at least I've never seen it anyway. Will have to get some for my Christmas holidays at home. I'm already salivating at the thought of a chunky ham sandwich with a dash of brown sauce (only stupid HP brown sauce up here which is rank).

21 days and counting till I hit the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Dropped into the Beech Vista garden centre /M50 CHRISTMAS SHOP this afternoon with my mam for a little ramble they had some gorgeous stuff
    The amount of lights they had I never seen so many
    They had beautiful Christmas plant arrangements too

It's not too far from me so I will drop by next week after getting the decorations down from the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

SarahLil wrote: »
    Dropped into the Beech Vista garden centre /M50 CHRISTMAS SHOP this afternoon with my mam for a little ramble they had some gorgeous stuff
    The amount of lights they had I never seen so many
    They had beautiful Christmas plant arrangements too

It's not too far from me so I will drop by next week after getting the decorations down from the attic

I was there in July and bought two lines of cluster lights for the gutters of the house. Of course I put a few pictures up of the shop and me in it on Facebook and got eaten alive by the bah humbugs :D
    As we always say here, it's Christmas all year round on this thread.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Sat down with the boss last night and planned out the next few weeks (love a good plan!) with the aim to have all the big stuff, presents bought and wrapped, big house tidy up/clean etc done by the 18th so can really enjoy the week before. Will make the next three and a bit weeks pretty full on as the calendar is choc a block with things however will be worth it, to be able to sit down and have proper family time or 'us' time in the few days before.

Going through the deep clean now alongside the last of the work on the house (painters in atm) once they're gone we'll be well placed to finish out the last of the deep clean & get stuck into the christmas decorations... dying to have it all finished & ready for us to get the decorations out.

This day week hopefully it'll all be behind us & we can sit down & watch the toy show in a clean, refurbished family home.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

First mince pie of the year. Lidl bakery one. Bit disappointed. More pastry than filling.

I had a Costa one last night - it was just ok. Not as nice as last years one.

The best I had last year was Dunnes bakery ones

Yeah, the Dunnes ones can be nice. Looking forward to trying their franzipan ones this year too!

My favourite last year were either vegan or gluten free (cant remember which) ones from Sainburys. Heading up in a couple of weeks so will definitely be getting a few boxes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Seriously, if you haven't tried them, go for the Foods of Athenry ones.

If anyone likes the normal Supervalu ones in the red box (and they're excellent), don't bother trying their luxury ones in the black starry box: they're way more expensive (more than double the cost), but the flavour is just slightly better (I'll admit that the ingredients might be better quality, though).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There and then. At arrivals. Dry, no butter. Whilst singing your favourite Christmas song. It's the new Christmas homecoming tradition dontchaknow.

I can genuinely see this becoming a viral challenge. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Have a strong suspicion that I'll be posting over in the Weddings forum come the new year :o

He told me we've to do out xmas presents 2 weeks before we normally would(Xmas Eve is the norm)- don't think it's a coincidence that we're having both families up for drinks on the 21st!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I might get my second last haircut before Christmas later.
    Generally I get one the last week or first in a month.
    However if I miss next week and end up the first weekend in December. I'll sort of be in limbo about what to do.(I'm probably overthinking things.)

Have a strong suspicion that I'll be posting over in the Weddings forum come the new year :o

He told me we've to do out xmas presents 2 weeks before we normally would(Xmas Eve is the norm)- don't think it's a coincidence that we're having both families up for drinks on the 21st!

Is it too early to say Con'grats!!?

By way of a little antidote; not saying he isn't going to pop the question however when my sister and I where younger, she had been dropping hints for ages that she wanted a puppy. One day my folks told us they had some news, my sister got all excited only be devastated when my folks said we were going to have a little brother or sister not a puppy!

• Advertisement

I might get my second last haircut before Christmas later.
    Generally I get one the last week or first in a month.
    However if I miss next week and end up the first weekend in December. I'll sort of be in limbo about what to do.(I'm probably overthinking things.)

LOL, i'm the exact same, every 4 or 5 weeks for a trim. Due one this weekend or next but next would leave me in limbo for christmas, so reckon it'll be tomorrow & then again the saturday before christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Lidl have gluten-free Christmas mince pies in, a pack of four. I saw them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,764 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I tired these and I was dissapointed!
    ProdImage_Xmas2019_Mince_Pie_Slices.png?ext=.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks for the heads up that Dunnes Bakery does mince pies, I do be in Dunnes most than other shops, last year I loved the Lidl ones from the bakery and I was always nipping into get some, Dunnes is handier so I shall defiantly seek Dunnes mince pies out

Lunchtime in Chateau CheerLouth :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Lunchtime in Chateau CheerLouth :D

Ah, the Irish classic :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I tired these and I was dissapointed!

I've been eying those up, wondering what they'd be like. Thanks for being our guinea pig. :)
    TRS30 wrote: »
    Ah, the Irish classic :)

Add crisps, and you're good to go. :pac:

By way of a little antidote; not saying he isn't going to pop the question however when my sister and I where younger, she had been dropping hints for ages that she wanted a puppy. One day my folks told us they had some news, my sister got all excited only be devastated when my folks said we were going to have a little brother or sister not a puppy!

Lol, even if he doesn't pop the question he's got a fab present-buying record so I've no doubt I'll be happy (although confused as to why we couldn't do it on xmas eve over lunch like we always do!!).

He's also said he's going to win at gifts this year...

That's right lollipops, be wary. He may well be planning to tell you all he's pregnant! :D:D

No but seriously if my partner wanted to give me my gift early, with my family there and he said things like he's gonna win at gifts this year or anything else that suggested he was about to make me the happiest woman in Ireland I would know for sure ... he'd gotten me a puppy!

• Advertisement

I would know for sure ... he'd gotten me a puppy!

He'd better not, I'm very VERY allergic :eek::(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement