Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Heading out to get wrapping paper...lots to wrap!! Busy weekend ahead, meeting my new nephew tomorrow and heading over to my bestie on Sunday to exchange pressies! It's all about the get togethers this time of year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    That is actually making me feel a bit stressy sick...

Hear hear.
    The days are going by so quickly that it feels like I'll miss christmas in the blink of an eye at this rate. I don't feel like i've had time to stop & take anything of it in the last couple of weeks.

This working for a living lark is not what its cracked up to be.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »

Hear hear!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Seriously, it's ridiculous. My job is gone absolutely flipping mental in the last two weeks. It's like everyone suddenly realised that there are two working weeks of the year left & they need to squeeze a full years work into them :confused::(

I regret that my grand plan of marrying into money did not work out :(:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hear hear.
    The days are going by so quickly that it feels like I'll miss christmas in the blink of an eye at this rate. I don't feel like i've had time to stop & take anything of it in the last couple of weeks.

This has happened to us the last few years so we are determine to make sure we get some good family time and time on our own over the next couple of weeks. Tonight is pencilled in for 'date/Christmas night' get the kids asleep, sit down and either watch a Christmas movie with some popcorn or a glass of wine, chat and admire the decorations.
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I regret that my grand plan of marrying into money did not work out :(:P:pac:

So is my wife! I drove a BMW when I met her and I'm sure she thought she was on to a good thing. Little did she know :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

This is a cafe/bakery near me. What do ye make of the prices?
    78222150_951783481861384_4560713492587347968_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_eui2=AeG9VliPABygA5Vz8zvGc-fNCj7iYQYV2-WmEHvWsGh5C3_BnHroISbsEaBtod3_nbDH16BE7rxnrkLObfecZvPb-O7teMQ2wLVckbUdHnzYqA&_nc_ohc=2HY8o3U3Ro8AQlKWegM7Y-MMfCDDAZeDEF5_fDa5qOwovZBJoOKCZxRIA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=e8498eab34d9feebbc104d99edabb4a3&oe=5E8059C8

Scandalous! €18.00 for a 9" apple crumble is a complete rip off, it's one of the easiest desserts to make, you don't need to be to be a Nigella Lawson to turn out a half decent one, (I do a mean one with rum soaked raisins added to the apple), everything else is accordingly expensive, fools and their money....I'm guessing this is in some well heeled part of Dublin?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think it's in Cark, boi!

Posy wrote: »
    I think it's in Cark, boi!

I think I found it, is it in Mitchelstown? Not a million miles from me. That makes it even more shocking, bet it's full of painful yummy mummies blocking the road outside with their milfwagons. If people are willing to shell out this sort of money for cakes they have no right to whinge about being strapped for cash. €15 for a 10" empty pavlova shell!! They're having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Those prices are completely off the wall.

It does seems expensive to me also.
    Especially with some of the 6 inch cakes. I'd nearly eat that by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Seamai wrote: »
    I think I found it, is it in Mitchelstown? Not a million miles from me. That makes it even more shocking, bet it's full of painful yummy mummies blocking the road outside with their milfwagons. If people are willing to shell out this sort of money for cakes they have no right to whinge about being strapped for cash. €15 for a 10" empty pavlova shell!! They're having a laugh.

Your correct.
    I've always being unsure weather or not to try it but it always seems a tad expensive. The blackforrests are very expensive.

• Advertisement

Your correct.
    I've always being unsure weather or not to try it but it always seems a tad expensive. The blackforrests are very expensive.

Everything is more than a tad expensive, I reckon the ingredients required for a 10" pavlova would cost me around €1.40 plus another 10 to15c to cook it, that's some mark up going on there, like I said fools and their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The tree and all the decorations have made it out of the attic ! Between tomorrow evening or Sunday they should get put up !
    Although one crib is already out set up , and aglow in the porch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Almost 18 days left and my other half hasn't even started shopping he joked the other day that he had nothing bought then said come to think of it if he had anything bought he would be ahead of himself
    He wasn't big into Christmas till I came along, Christmas has grown on him :D

I have been so busy in work this week I didn't get much time to post, is anyone up to anything Festive this weekend, work parties, Santa?

We are planning on heading to town in the morning to get some gifts, some bits we need for hosting Christmas, birthday presents and a new baby gift, I need to write a list

Can anyone recommend somewhere festive in town for a nice coffee and mince pie? (I have had a mince pie since last Christmas)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

christmas tree and door wreath up.
    thats the extent of our decorations- love Christmas but not too bothered about the decs:(

working christmas eve/christmas day and st stephens day nights so we're having our christmas dinner on christmas eve this year:)

This day two weeks most of us will be finished work for holidays and Jude will be home in Ireland :)

SarahLil wrote: »
    This day two weeks most of us will be finished work for holidays and Jude will be home in Ireland :)

I have two days annual leave next week and three day trainings course week after so only 5 more days in the office :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    I have two days annual leave next week and three day trainings course week after so only 5 more days in the office :)

Wow it will go so quickly!

Going to visit some family up the country for the weekend and bringing the Christmas gifts etc.

Then visiting my best friend next week, she lives a bit away from me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,458 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tiger have some handmade (well, hand finished anyway) stitched tree decorations in. Got a snowman that has a particular eye and mouth stitching that makes him look like he's more than a little tiddly at the snowman Christmas party. All the others were far less funny looking and that's probably why it was still there but I consider that perfectly apt for the time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Love the Cadbury ad

Simple and heartwarming.

Good job Cadbury’s !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I love seeing all the lights going up, especially outdoor lights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm going mad. Haven't seen any dunnes bakery mince pies! They were my favourite by a mile last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kitten_k

:D:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=497089&d=1575741614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The yellow bit begins for most of us hardcore posters in November! :D

Maybe it's just me but it seems a little quiet this year in town. I was in Dublin City centre on Thursday night and thought it seemed a bit quiet.
    We brought the kids to see Frozen in Liffey Valley at lunchtime and got parking there no problem and it didn't seem particular nuts when we left at 3.30ish. I've seen it busier during the year.
    I could very well be wrong though ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What was Frozen like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What was Frozen like?

The four of us loved absolutely every minute of it, despite the 30mins of trailers and ads beforehand.

I actually preferred it to the original!

Heroditas wrote: »
    I actually preferred it to the original!

You’re the second person to say that. And I’ve only asked 2 people haha. Good sign.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ordered four star pizza earlier, now I'm watching the third Christmas Prince film and eating chocolate truffles. :)

What was Frozen like?

Our all liked it for the most part. Elf 2 (3 in a few weeks) was a bit scare in a couple places. Over all I thought it was a bit darker than the original however still excellent and highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

As we had visitors over the last few weeks I have been goring on mince pies, mulled wine, stuffing, baileys chocolate fudge, and pork sandwiches. I lost 5kg in October hoping to get another 5kg gone by the time Christmas came. I have put on the 5kg I lost and am back at square 1 with five days till I fly home. I am going to try and run each day this week.

Watched Home Alone 2 last night, amazing as always but now I notice more plot holes than before. Anyway last year we planned on watching all the Christmas movies Christmas week but never had the time so we got them done early. Also watched polar express which I used to dislike but not like.

We also went to a tree lighting ceremony in a desert resort called Bab Al Shams. They had Santa arrive on a camel and nice firework display.

Hope all is well in the Christmas forum. I see from the weather forum that its going to be a manky Christmas with no snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement