Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I remember those Sweets with the Santa on them :)

Just booked afternoon tea at the Westin as a present for my pal for the 21/12/19 I hope it will be really festive and a nice way to start the holidays from work we both finish the 20th

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Having a christmas party next Monday evening. I live abroad so a tonne of friends will be heading home for christmas, including myself. So my wonderful girlfriend decided to organise a christmas dinner/party before everyone leaves, which quickly got out of hand...16 people :pac: (she needs to stop doing this).

Anyways, I've got a menu sorted and most things have been sourced, but any tips/recipes on cooking veg for that many people? Due to limitations on space, I'll probably have to roast some and boil some. Potatoes are fine, it's just the other veg I'm not sure what to do with.

Do as much as you can the night before, chop, peel, parboil, etc and you should be grand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My gang are off to Lapland on Wednesday. My friend asked the 6 year old what she was looking forward to most. She said a spin up in the sky with the sleigh and reindeer. Man is she going to be disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tell them the sleigh is in for last minute repairs/service before the big day and the reindeer are on bed rest.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Tell them the sleigh is in for last minute repairs/service before the big day and the reindeer are on bed rest.

Tis a bit like telling them to go to bed early, they look at you like you've 10 heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SarahLil wrote: »
    I find these good Echinacea drops put them in Luke warm water about 20 drops a couple of times a day you will get them in boots and vitamin C drinks too, when you are under the weather you can take 2000mg vitamin C I hope you feel better soon
    Snap, I swear by Echinacea, too !
    Not fond of the tincture's taste, so I take the tablets instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »

It is the busy season for them. They need to rest up before the big day sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    It is the busy season for them. They need to rest up before the big day sure.

You missed the advent question today! Don't worry me and Toto are repping the forum :P

kitten_k wrote: »
    You missed the advent question today! Don't worry me and Toto are repping the forum :P

I know I only thought of it now :(

Awfully busy day in work. And awful one to miss. 31 fecking points. I’ll never catch up now.

kitten_k wrote: »

And Posy is repping too :)

• Advertisement

Awfully busy day in work. And awful one to miss. 31 fecking points. I’ll never catch up now.

Yea a massive sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

And Posy is repping too :)

And me three ahem :o

otnomart wrote: »
    Snap, I swear by Echinacea, too !
    Not fond of the tincture's taste, so I take the tablets instead.

The tablets are great I find them hard to come by, I’ll be taking the drops or if I can get the tablets in the run up to Christmas I am not taking any chances :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I do love a nice Christmas Rose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

aELnKqU.jpg

Were these the ones??

That's them. Good God they were awful

leahyl wrote: »
    I do love a nice Christmas Rose!

Aww me too. Toxic to the pets though so I have a fake one. It's not Christmas without one around the house but I kinda hate the fake one! :(

:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=497230&d=1575924192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That's brilliant. One more Monday at work. Bring it on!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

After tomorrow, there will only be ONE Tuesday left, because Christmas Eve is Christmas Eve! :D

You have to do it first thing, like on your way to work, or at breakfast time, or you'll forget!

Can't believe you're putting work that high on your priority list. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm excited because this is my last week in work, and this day next week we're going to Ireland for Christmas! :) Now I'm getting to the stage of gathering the things I need to pack, making sure clothes are clean, looking for my Leap card etc.

We went to a light show at the weekend and it was so Christmassy. They had a European style Christmas market and a huge area with different themed lights, for example one was themed around the Earth's poles so it was filled with polar bears, reindeer, penguins and igloos you could walk into, all made out of lights. It was so cold though as it was night time and the temperature dropped to -17 with wind chill, it made the hot chocolate extra glorious. I'm definitely adjusting to the Canadian weather though - I found myself commenting that it was a warm day today because it was above zero degrees :pac:
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Watched Home Alone 2 last night, amazing as always but now I notice more plot holes than before.
    I watched it either last year or the year before, and was struck by how violent it is even compared to the first one. I mean at one point he is hurling bricks off the top of a building onto their heads, how is Marv not brain damaged? (I'm definitely getting old!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^I was thinking the same thing, lets not get in to the parenting skills either.

Did some packing last night and really hope that I have left some jumpers in folks house. They may have not survived the move to our new house here which will mean I am will be in a t-shirt in Ireland.

Check in opens in 20 hours!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,458 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some doctors claimed that both Wet Bandits would be dead from their injuries quite quickly in to both films. Think it's on youtube somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Watched Holiday Inn last night as part of my effort to do the Christmas Movie Advent Calendar. I'd never seen it before so was more than a little shocked about the blackface scene. It was the 40's so I assume more acceptable then but oof it was pretty distasteful. And I wasn't too impressed with the movie at all. Everyone in it was a terrible friend and it made the women out to be fickle and flighty. Hurrah for the golden era of Hollywood!!!

I'd give the sound of music a miss then

Still doesn't feel like Christmas yet, it's 15 degrees in Dublin.

I thought Holiday Inn was pretty well known for it's blackface scene.

Tbh, they should probably just cut it out at this stage, it's not exactly integral to the plot! :pac:

Not really in to censoring things historically.

Anywho, though I keep wanting a white Christmas each time I am home I get sick because I am soft. Anything under 10 degrees and I am a shadow of myself so the weather forums predictions of a Christmas in the teens suits me.

Has anyone been to the hole in the wall or the gingerman? I need a really christmasy pub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Not really in to censoring things historically.

Anywho, though I keep wanting a white Christmas each time I am home I get sick because I am soft. Anything under 10 degrees and I am a shadow of myself so the weather forums predictions of a Christmas in the teens suits me.

Has anyone been to the hole in the wall or the gingerman? I need a really christmasy pub

Haven’t been in the Gingerman since the summer however looks amazing outside.

• Advertisement

Watched Get Santa last night I really enjoyed it, I had my first mince pie too

I haven't been the Hole in The Wall yet Jude but look at their Facebook it looks fab, anyone been to Strawberry Hall near the Phoenix Park apparently you can get pizza there and its all decked out in Christmas decorations too I only heard of it online this morning

I went to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre this morning I got a good bit off my list

Anyone play golf here and go to spectate golf? I am looking for advise on binoculars for spectating at golf, I want to get them as a surprise he is already going on a golf trip as his present, his pal said go to Currys but the staff were really bad they didn't careless just trying to push the dearest pair at me any advise welcome thanks, they had none on display only in boxes so you couldn't judge what size they were or anything I might try the camera shop in Blanchardstown Shopping centre altough trying to avoid going there again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement