Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    ^ no need to apologies, I am not with it today. Im the worst without sleep. The drive to work was struggle.

Timing is a pain in the bum. I use the fact that the oven heats the kitchen too much to partake in refreshments which eases my anxiety about the cooking timings.

This time we have 2 brand new ovens & a large induction hob so timing in theory should be less stressful simply through having more space to cook different things concurrently. Fingers crossed it goes to plan now!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jeez you know it's getting close when Jude is talking about checking into his flight!! :D

The excitement is real.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was always useless on Christmas morning.
    They used have to pull out of bed at 11am.
    I was a bad child to go to bed tough.
    Sounds like me! If I was very excited as a child, I'd be up about 10!

I'm still the same. Only reason I drag myself out of bed on Christmas morning now is to get the turkey in the oven!

Sheesh, went out to get the RTE guide there at lunch and everywhere up my end of Baggot Street just has the Dec 14th - 20th edition. Just have to keep looking methinks!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm thinking my kids will be up very early this year! Eldest is nearly 5 and she is all about Christmas this year! Plus she is ordinarily an early riser - 6.30 wouldn't be unusual of a morning. Once she is not up before then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm thinking my kids will be up very early this year! Eldest is nearly 5 and she is all about Christmas this year! Plus she is ordinarily an early riser - 6.30 wouldn't be unusual of a morning. Once she is not up before then!

I would take 6.30 if I could however have a feeling will be earlier and that's just the wife :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    I would take 6.30 if I could however have a feeling will be earlier and that's just the wife :D

Our normal mon-fri has us at 5.45am with us getting the kids up for 6.30am, at weekends they tend to wake up around 7ish by themselves anyway, but for christmas depending on the levels of excitement they could rock into our room at any time from 5am onwards... anytime before 7 they'll be sent back to bed though & told to wait :D especially if mu & dad have a drink or two the night before!

DvB wrote: »
    Our normal mon-fri has us at 5.45am with us getting the kids up for 6.30am, at weekends they tend to wake up around 7ish by themselves anyway, but for christmas depending on the levels of excitement they could rock into our room at any time from 5am onwards... anytime before 7 they'll be sent back to bed though & told to wait :D especially if mu & dad have a drink or two the night before!

We would be much the same. Weekends in general are a bit of lottery however as Christmas Day falls mid week and we are all off the few days before hand, we are going to keep them up late for a few days so hopefully will not have too early a start on the big day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Our 7yo and 4 yo are typically wide awake at 7 on the weekends yet I need a cattle prod to drag them out of bed at 7.30 during the week.
    I'm hoping for the usual weekday routine this Christmas although to be fair they usually seem to sleep until 8 on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I see there's a Christmas Market in Dublin Castle from tomorrow, I wonder if it will be any good... If anybody makes it there maybe you could let us know what it's like? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

+1

Dying to hear what people think of this! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What time does it open at? If it’s open at lunchtime I’ll take a wander up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wasnt sure where to post this, but I thought it should be posted somewhere so as there's a Christmas vibe to it...
    https://twitter.com/garius/status/1204795961731629058?s=19

I wasnt sure where to post this, but I thought it should be posted somewhere so as there's a Christmas vibe to it...
    https://twitter.com/garius/status/1204795961731629058?s=19

Ah jaysus. Bawling after reading that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What time does it open at? If it’s open at lunchtime I’ll take a wander up.

12-8 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Booked my uber for a 4am pick up. just another 8-10 hours work and I'm done for Christmas!!! (excluding all the calls, and work I will have to do on my leave)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Safe journey Jude :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I made my own wreath!! My aunty is a floral art instructor and had a bunch of us over last night to make our own wreaths, we had a blast!

view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

That sounds like so much fun! I bought one of those polystyrene rings to make something but I haven’t a clue were to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    That sounds like so much fun! I bought one of those polystyrene rings to make something but I haven’t a clue were to start.

Get some Christmas ribbon and wrap it around it - then a glue gun and stick whatever you like on it - leaves, acorns, more ribbons. If you are handy with a crochet hook, there are some lovely patterns out there for snowflakes and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Postgrad10 wrote: »

We used oasis set in a plastic ring (that we can use again next year!) and she had a variety of foliage for us to use.

I added differing sized baubles in gold and red (some shiney, so matte, some glittery) and acorns, topped off with a big gold bow at the top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out now at JC's supermarket!
    78844536_1441453379354873_6541138189971619840_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=u31kr-f8Nl4AQk4iCGHIT6r8nRQsfLjS2I2HzFaOz0-owZcwA3US3Oy8Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=1fff59f89efcc6b6a2389e33fc85dc09&oe=5E6C4B4B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Jude13 wrote: »
    Booked my uber for a 4am pick up. just another 8-10 hours work and I'm done for Christmas!!! (excluding all the calls, and work I will have to do on my leave)

Safe journey Jude. Tears at the airport!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

jellybear wrote: »

Closer to home we have ALONE. It costs nothing to,think of those who have so little....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Eleysian wrote: »
    Closer to home we have ALONE. It costs nothing to,think of those who have so little....

So true! My sister has volunteered with ALONE and it has such a positive impact on everyone involved!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Out now at JC's supermarket!

Honestly boils my blood, I know they do it as a cheap marketing trick but still pisses me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

My Christmas rte guide is missing page 82 to page 99.. Christmas day and Stephen's day... has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mystic86 wrote: »
    I see there's a Christmas Market in Dublin Castle from tomorrow, I wonder if it will be any good... If anybody makes it there maybe you could let us know what it's like? :)

Popped in for a quick visit this evening. Lovely atmosphere even in the rain and good food options. Didn’t get a good look at the stuff for sale but the whole place had a lovely Christmas market feel that I haven’t experienced in Dublin before. Oh and you can get beer there as well as mulled wine.

• Advertisement

Eleysian wrote: »
    Safe journey Jude. Tears at the airport!!!

Yes, safe travels Jude to you and the family. Hopefully you’ll get some downtime when you’re here and it’s not all go, go, go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement