Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

No Harry Potter on RTE over the Christmas ��

They have been showing them on TV for the past month or so, maybe even around Halloween time. I remember seeing them listed on tvguide.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

80253716_2936385499727016_5358068308459388928_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=VkNgvoaLDVsAQlK1CtrUKEd-o5tj6_TD64KjFN38ZOVjPVzkJl3s5uPyg&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=c139a00530d221052245d46f3f6f395d&oe=5E85F1D0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

DenMan wrote: »
    Today is my birthday. The weather is nice and cold. Only 10 days to go now until Christmas Eve. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭antimatterx

DenMan wrote: »
    They have been showing them on TV for the past month or so, maybe even around Halloween time. I remember seeing them listed on tvguide.co.uk

I love watching them on rte over my Christmas break though. Slightly disappointed, but there are some great films on that will make up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Disney's/Jim Carrey's version of A Christmas Carol was on last night, did anyone else watch it?
    I really enjoyed it but was wondering why it's not on nearer Christmas, some of the stuff being put on around Christmas particularly by RTE is rubbish in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Daisy78

First round of mince pies made, more to come later today :)

Had my first mince pie. along with a cappuccino sachet coffee.. wish I could remember who gave them to me to say thank you. Just hit the spot in an otherwise bad day!

Just everything going awry...Fire refused to light as there is no wind. … Sorted the box of Christmas decorations out and while I have the Baby Jesus and the Wise Men and even a shepherd, Mary and Joseph have gone awol.. Seeking a new Holy Family!

On the plus side. found a missing set of white lights that work AND a very small artificial tree I had forgotten I had last year... Oh and finally unboxed the new LED battery lights and they are grand and easy to work... will put them up properly as it is getting dark... so pretty and sparkly..

When I saw the snowy mountains behind the dark fields, I went walky with camera and cat to have the camera battery die on me...

Sorted THAT too as the recharging cable had come loose.

Just a day of draining pettifogging stuff... Know what I mean?

All quiet now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Where is the time going it is going so quickly I wish it would slow down?

I was in Limerick Thursday for shopping with an overnight stay I enjoyed it then Cork for some shopping Friday nipped in to Saint Peter & Paul’s Church lit some candles it’s a lovely place, enjoyed both counties for my flying visits I will be back

I had my Christmas night with the girls last night with an overnight stay great night, we had my mam today for dinner we watched a Christmas movie while himself did a roast which was gorgeous

A pizza is on the way needs must after last night :)

Glad to see you back Grace missed you for a few days I was hoping all was ok with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ahhhh, nearly on the wind down now.
    Had the Christmas party on Friday and was dying yesterday but had to soldier on - we brought the kids to the Leinster match. They had an amazing evening.
    They even had a lie in this morning and no pressure to do anything all day because all their various sports and activities are finished until January
    They spent the day doing Christmas activity books and making decorations and herself made biscuits for them to bring into school tomorrow.
    4 more days of work. Just 4 to go. Nearly there ... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Spent all day Christmas present shopping. Pretty much done bar 2 or 3 small things. Also got some wrapped as well while listening to ChristmasFM. Also only 5 days of work left before the holidays.

All is right in the world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,454 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tree only went up today due to how awful my schedules been. Doing a final check of what I need to buy and why its nearly all food, I need to go to a homewares store for a few final bits and pieces which is going to be HORRENDOUS.

Going to try get a day off and everything, bar the fresh food, done next week.

Anyway, got a fire on and virtually all the decorations on so its starting to feel properly Christmas now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last time I'm doing this for Christmas 2019!
    We're into single digits!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Stooooooop it!

SarahLil wrote: »
    Where is the time going it is going so quickly I wish it would slow down?

Glad to see you back Grace missed you for a few days I was hoping all was ok with you

Thanks. running on fumes as SAD is at its worst.. So keep having to dive... Just doing essentials. ie Christmas stuff ! lol

Enjoying my tiny tree! It came from the excellent charity shop that funds the Meals on Wheels and Lunch Club in W estport. Great place which I miss .. it is dripping with gold baubles.. Still need Mary and Joseph!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Stooooooop it!

I know right!!

I had it in my head it was like 13 days to go... but no it's only 9.... 9!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Last working week of the year! :D I'm literally counting down to Friday. Bring. It. On! It's going to be a mental week though both at home and at work!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Last working week of the year! :D I'm literally counting down to Friday. Bring. It. On! It's going to be a mental week though both at home and at work!

Samies, we have something on every night after work as well as trying to squeeze 2 weeks of work into 5 days.

Oops posted this in the Christmas tree thread by mistake!

Finally getting around to my decorating and found a box full of Christmas hats etc including a bunch of dog related Christmas paraphernalia. Very amused to discover my elderly golden retriever is totally fine wearing stuff. I put a
    dog Christmas scarf, Christmas dog socks and an elf hat on her and she was happy out, she just seemed to enjoy the attention of it all! :D

This is her first Christmas with us and I usually take a quick pic of my other two dogs in something Christmassy at this time of year. Delighted she'll be able to join in.

My husky mix doesn't mind at all, cause she knows it means treats but she wouldn't keep them on all day. My terrier absolutely loves clothes. He seems to really feel the cold, shivers dramatically if he feels the slightest breeze and will not stay in the garden on a cold day. I used to think only mad people dressed their dogs but I have a few little jumpers and coats for him now cause they genuinely make him happy and comfortable. If I get a decent photo of the three of them I'll post here for your amusement.

Oh and bonus.. the Christmas socks have little grips and actually seem to help my retriever walk a little steadier on the tiles. She has arthritis in her back legs and can be a bit unsteady at times.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

So tired today after the weekend I need an early night but still so much to do!!
    I am going straight to my butchers in the morning to order my turkey and ham I'm slightly panicked
    Ordered 3 gifts online today, I am hoping to get the remaining two gifts ticked off my list tomorrow, I need a trip to Dealz too to pick up a few bits
    I have nothing wrapped and no cards wrote I am hoping himself will write the cards its normally his job, himself only started his shopping today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In today's news

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50811266

I wonder had the driver a problem with the bad wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

You'll get there SarahLil :)

We're bringing our little boy to visit Santa on Friday. So excited! He's only 4 months old but the picture will be lovely!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We had Mr Scarinae’s family over for a pre-Christmas dinner yesterday, it was too early for turkey so we did a roast beef. They’d never had Yorkshire puddings before, I’m not sure how authentic my attempt was though because our oven runs a bit hot so they were crunchier than I would have liked. They’d never done Christmas crackers before either so I was trying to explain why we put on these hats and read out the terrible jokes.

After dinner we swapped presents and watched A Christmas Story with glasses of Baileys. We sent them home with all the leftovers, including another batch of gingerbread, as we’re on our way to Ireland today. We’re currently in Hartford in Connecticut, I’d never heard of it but it’s a nice airport to switch flights in, not too busy! I’m delighted to be going home but more emotional than I expected about leaving my cat for two weeks, we have a sitter coming to visit her in the house though and she’ll send us pictures and videos on WhatsApp.

In today's news

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-50811266

I wonder had the driver a problem with the bad wind.

That's a Christmas horror movie!!!

Hectic day in work but got through it so hopefully on the wind-down now.
    Wrote a "hape" of Christmas cards this evening so posting them tomorrow along with attending the Christmas concerts in our girls' school. They were so excited this evening.
    Still a couple of presents left to get but no huge rush

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had flu and sinus infection for a week now. Just over it but was so bad was bed-bound. No Christmas fun for me. Watched a few movies but everything else on hold.

Had flu and sinus infection for a week now. Just over it but was so bad was bed-bound. No Christmas fun for me. Watched a few movies but everything else on hold.

Fingers crossed you'll be over it in a day or two and at least then you definitely won't be sick for Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,454 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cards - all domestic - written finally. Well, not by me - my handwriting is completely illegible due to dyspraxia and a decade of not writing anything. Partner forced in to it :D Sending 17 which is deliberately more than previous years.

Posted in the morning. So far I've received cards from a local politician, a newspaper I subscribe to and Glanbia (upselling cream deliveries via the milkman) but nobody else... so hopefully everyone else is as late as me. The Dublin Inquirer one came with the paper, the other two were dropped in by hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've sent no cards this year. Got sick of sending cards and not receiving any (I know that's not the point, but still...) so this year, if I do get one, I'll just send one back. Otherwise, feck it!!
    Very amused to discover my elderly golden retriever is totally fine wearing stuff. I put a dog Christmas scarf, Christmas dog socks and an elf hat on her and she was happy out, she just seemed to enjoy the attention of it all! :D

This is her first Christmas with us and I usually take a quick pic of my other two dogs in something Christmassy at this time of year.
    Aaaaw, is she is rescue doggie? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have until the 20th to send cards. Have told all that am not doing it anymore, but to be fair if someone goes to the trouble of sending a card and paying for the stamp, I will reciprocate.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

An Post will be bricking it, but they should know that it is mostly over now for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement