Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaah, Loughc, I'm sorry to hear that. What rotten timing. You must be disappointed, as well as worried. :(

I hope your mam recovers soon... you'll just have to have a second slap up Christmas dinner when she's all better. ;) xx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    Sorry about the wine post, LoughC, I didn't mean to sound callous...
    :(

Ah stop I didn’t think that at all. This place is the distraction I need right about now :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Loughc, hope your mam has a speedy recovery and it's a good excuse for keeping festive celebrations going for longer :)

Can't believe it's Christmas Eve tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Wishing a speedy recovery to your mum LoughC xxxx

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas Eve, folks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Posy wrote: »
    Happy Christmas Eve, folks! :)

And to all here...

Hoping to do all I have planned and needful today; been "hors de combat" all this week. Dratted illness... Still. all that was needful is done somehow..

Dismembered the turkey...did it at 6.30 am one day then crawled back to bed! I had an amazing "audience" of course!
    All the food etc arrived... reading posts here made me feel very blessed Although I am missing a few things . mea culpa... But nothing will mar the feast.

Today will prepare and parboil potatoes, carrots, parsnips, make the stuffing, concoct the trifle; oh and VERY IMPORTANT! Make the Irish cream liqueur with the recipe the head chef at the Dingle Skellig gave me..

And put the lights up; Advent ended so now it is Christmas. And decorations can go up! Before the Carols from Kings at 3 pm..

But as darkness falls, this small dwelling will shine out over the dark island and mighty ocean.

Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kitten_k

attachment.php?attachmentid=498344&d=1577172605

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

So sorry to hear about your mum Loughc, though to be fair some things are more important than Christmas and I'm sure everyone in here would agree family is one of those things. Fingers crossed she'll be grand and will be all sorted to enjoy loads more Christmases with you all.

Take care and try not to get too down, your mum will be well looked after.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Donated blood areir in Naas. They always get a huge turn out at this time of year.

Don't think I'll be home till about 4 today, which is also the time of the mass we said we'd go to. Ooops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Loughc wrote: »
    My poor mam was just sent into hospital for the second time this month over her heart. It looks like she’s gonna be kept a while and will miss Christmas. :(

It’ll be the first Christmas she’ll miss.

So sorry to read your post this morning Loughc, hope your keeping well and can still enjoy Christmas a little bit with the family.
    My own mother has been diagnosed with a lung disease in the last two weeks which unfortunately will get progressively worse, average life expectancy is 3 to 5 years so at the moment I'm wondering how many Christmas's we will have with her.

Sorry for the morbid post everyone, at the moment she is fine so i would like to wish each and everyone of you A Very Merry Christmas!
    This thread is a joy to visit all year and does the spirit good.

My poor mam was just sent into hospital for the second time this month over her heart. It looks like she’s gonna be kept a while and will miss Christmas. :(

It’ll be the first Christmas she’ll miss.

It’s a Christmas miracle. Despite being told 3 times she yesterday and even up until 3am that she was being kept. They’re releasing her this morning until after Christmas.

She’s by no means better but it beats spending Christmas on a trolley in a hospital ward. Thank you all for your kind words.

Happy Christmas Eve everyone.

It’s a Christmas miracle. Despite being told 3 times she yesterday and even up until 3am that she was being kept. They’re releasing her this morning until after Christmas.

She’s by no means better but it beats spending Christmas on a trolley in a hospital ward. Thank you all for your kind words.

wonderful news! really wonderful!

(((HUGS)))

Pardon my French but Fan-Fooking-Tastic... having those closest to you around you at Christmas is the best present of all, hope you all have a great Christmas!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh such great news LoughC!! Enjoy every minute of the festivities with your Mam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That’s made my day Loughc!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Santa has arrived!

Just went outside for air.. I keep a small old chair on the drive for parcels and LO! It had moved over the gate and sitting thereon a TUB of CADBURY ROSES! I did a double take as I walked away then realised it was real!.

Odd thing is that the one thing missing off my shopping list was.. Cadbury Roses! I am delighted! lol.... sitting here grinning ! lol!

It will be from the small Community Association here; last year it was Milk Tray... rather than put on a party for us old wans.

Someone has very quietly snuck in, ,bless them!

• Advertisement

That's brilliant news, Loughc... happy Christmas eve!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Glad she's home, hospitals try REALLY hard to get people home for Christmas, often doesn't work but they honestly do their best to have people at home Christmas Day.

I'd add those who are stuck in hospital, the staff try their best to make it a bit festive too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Thanks again everyone. She’s in great form loads of visitors and my seven and a half month old puppy is certainly keeping her spirits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks again everyone. She’s in great form loads of visitors and my seven and a half month old puppy is certainly keeping her spirits up.

That's good news that she'll be home for Christmas. She has something in common with Prince Philip now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brought the kids to the Phoenix Park earlier and watched people chase deer around the park. The poor animals.
    The two of them are wound up to 90 at this stage. There's been constant threats of Santa not coming but nothing seems to be calling them down! Anyway, bedtime in an hour and then we can sit and relax watching TV.
    Everything wrapped and under the tree. I can't help but think I've forgotten to do something!

Just finished prepping the veg for tomorrows dinner... man the sprouts took an age... ham going into the oven in the next hour or so too.
    The Mrs is in the middle of making the baileys cheesecake which is one of the desserts and I'm already salivating at the thoughts of tomorrows dinner!!!

After that it's a bit of tv with the family, get the kids to bed, stick on 'Its a wonderful life' and have a Jameson black barrel or two before getting santas delivery sorted before bed... I really do love the madness of christmas eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The smell of Birds jelly powder has a far stronger memory impact than I was expecting - was very briefly 9 again there.

Jelly setting, ham boiling, wine chilling. Off to the pub as soon as I can drain the ham :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My mother said she spent 5 hours prepping the veg this morning! She may have exaggerated, I said nothing.

Nibbles prepped for the night, a few crackers with pate and green. And the kids decorated a plate for Santa and the reindeer. Sliced carrots are easier to digest, according to to elves in Lapland.

Would it be cruel to put the clocks back an hour, so we'd get a lie on in the morning? I wasn't the only one thinking that, was i?

498392.jpg

• Advertisement

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-is-when-santa-is-expected-to-fly-over-ireland-972205.html

Approximately midnight tonight lads he’s coming :)

After the 24 hours I’ve had all I can say is Christmas Eve had delivered. The magic of Christmas Eve is just amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement