Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Just heard a UK radio dj say she’s taking her tree down today since Christmas is over!! Queue floods of complaints. She shouldn’t have bothered putting it up if it was such an inconvenience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I have promised the dog a long walk today and fear that she will hold me to it! :pac:

Keep your voice down my dog will hear you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I work with someone who used to take the tree down in the 26th and said "oh I just couldn't bear to be looking at it once Christmas Day is finished".
    Talk about needing a smidgeon of resilience.
    Anyway I wonder if they still do this now that they have two young kids! :D

I think it all loses some of its lustre after the 25th but we leave everything up until the 5th or 6th.
    The winter is long and dark enough. The decorations really brighten up the mood for those few weeks. January is such a grim month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love my tree more after the 25th. I have more time to admire it and relax by the glow of the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Heroditas wrote: »
    I work with someone who used to take the tree down in the 26th and said "oh I just couldn't bear to be looking at it once Christmas Day is finished".
    Talk about needing a smidgeon of resilience.
    Anyway I wonder if they still do this now that they have two young kids! :D

I think it all loses some of its lustre after the 25th but we leave everything up until the 5th or 6th.
    The winter is long and dark enough. The decorations really brighten up the mood for those few weeks. January is such a grim month.

Mine will come down the 2nd or 3rd, its up since late November so I think that is long enough and it actually depresses me seeing it up thinking christmas is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We begin to take stuff down on the 7th of January. I couldn't imagine New Years without the decorations up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Once everyone is back in work on the 2nd there is no way people still want to celebrate Christmas.

It’s over.

I know tradition is the 6th but that doesn’t make it fun!

Just forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hope everyone had an amazing Christmas. I’ve really enjoyed my self so far. I finished on the 19th, so my break started early.

I’m back to work on the 2nd. I’m looking forward to it, but also hope it doesn’t come as fast I think it will.

Once everyone is back in work on the 2nd there is no way people still want to celebrate Christmas.

It’s over.

I know tradition is the 6th but that doesn’t make it fun!

Just forced.

I enjoy it after the 2nd. Nothing forced. The lights in the dark evenings cheer me up on the way home after a long day work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Me too!

Although I'll probably take the bulk of the decorations down on 4th and 5th.
    Monday 6th will be depressing enough without having to take everything down. :pac:

• Advertisement

Me too!

Although I'll probably take the bulk of the decorations down on 4th and 5th.
    Monday 6th will be depressing enough without having to take everything down. :pac:

Same for convenience I will take most of it down on the 5th. But leave as many lights up as I can.

Mine will stay up until after the 6th. Only got it up on the 10th of December so it’ll only have been up under the 4 week mark. It’s not in the way and I love sitting beside it reading a book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I normally would put my Christmas tree and decorations up around the 8th December but due to circumstances it was the weekend before last before anything went up this year. I might leave them up until the weekend of 11th/12th January to compensate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Father is milking his annual cold. Repeatedly postpones taking medication. Can’t stand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We take ours down before heading back to work, this time the mrs is back on the 2nd so we'll probably take them down on new years day, which has been the case for the last few years. I've said it here loads of times that whilst we appreciate the season doesnt end until jan 6th for us we prefer to get back to normal asap rather than drag it out and have to take them down some evening after coming home from work.
    We had ours up the 30th November so they've been up a full month which is enough for us.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just to add, we'll take them down on the 5th. Don't mind leaving them up until then because we're both off work and the kids love them.
    Take them down on the 5th and get ready for the new series of Dancing With the Stars.
    The in-laws are leaving them up until the weekend of the 11th/12th because the brother in law is coming home from the US for a few days so we'll be having a mini Christmas with turkey & ham and all the trimmings that weekend for his benefit. He doesn't get that where he lives now :D

I know I say this every year but I really need to appreciate the November build up to Christmas. It’s the perfect time to take more of the season in before things get too crazy.

December in work is crazy as is your off time due to shopping and organising etc. And I’m sorry but we ARE doing a forum meet-up in 2020. I don’t care if I have to personally call to each of ye and bring ye I will do it :P

We need to think of a good off season month to have it in to give us all something to look forward to and to breakup the countdown in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    I know I say this every year but I really need to appreciate the November build up to Christmas. It’s the perfect time to take more of the season in before things get too crazy.

December in work is crazy as is your off time due to shopping and organising etc. And I’m sorry but we ARE doing a forum meet-up in 2020. I don’t care if I have to personally call to each of ye and bring ye I will do it :P

We need to think of a good off season month to have it in to give us all something to look forward to and to breakup the countdown in 2020.

I would be up for it :D

100% this. It simply goes too fast and I'm always ultimately left with the feeling I haven't had enough 'Christmas '
    As I said in a post about a week or so ago the build up seems to peak around the end of November, then its into crazytime and before you know it, its over!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

kitten_k wrote: »
    I would be up for it :D

Excellent :D

What month do you think works best?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

September/October or very early November? I think all the Brrr months are good build up wise.

Any time after mid August if we meet up in Brown Thomas. :p

September/October or very early November?

Any time after mid August if we meet up in Brown Thomas. :p

Yeah I’m liking the idea of September/October myself. Places will be quieter as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Sounds good with me. Thursdays or Fridays would suit me best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what does Willy Wonka say to Charlie at the end of the movie, when charlie leaves the gobstopper on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

I think he says
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world"
    :)

Yeah I’m liking the idea of September/October myself. Places will be quieter as well.

Depending on numbers venue will be important also.
    Either way if I've nothing else on for whenever suits most I'd be up for putting faces to internet names :-)

What would we talk about though? ;-)

DvB wrote: »
    Depending on numbers venue will be important also.
    Either way if I've nothing else on for whenever suits most I'd be up for putting faces to internet names :-)

What would we talk about though? ;-)

We’ll explore all ideas dates venues etc in a thread in the new year. We can start with a list of people interested then they can post any dates that don’t suit and we can narrow it down from there. :)

We’ll explore all ideas dates venues etc in a thread in the new year. We can start with a list of people interested then they can post any dates that don’t suit and we can narrow it down from there. :)

Sounds like a plan!

Yes ! Something to look forward to.

• Advertisement

Just reading the crappy presents thread. I didn't get a single present I didn't love. I don't think I ever do. We all usually give each other lists, but there's always surprises thrown in here and there and I don't know if I'm very easy to please but I'm always thrilled with everything I get.

I always put things on my list that I want but I won't ever buy for myself because I guilt myself out of it :D Or else just semi vague things like... A book! Or tickets to a show. And I'm always given a book that I really enjoy or tickets to something they know I'm into.

I feel sad when people aren't happy with what they get. I'd be happy with a thousand candles. You can't have too many candles. And don't get me started on socks. I'd love to have a different pair for everyday of the year!

Anywho, sorry for the ramblings.

Btw are seasonal blow ins invited to the meet up? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement