Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I put half tub of quality street into tin of roses..... But yeah it is not quite right at all.

What is everyone doing for NYE?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I put half tub of quality street into tin of roses..... But yeah it is not quite right at all.

Separating sweets. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Few quite drinks at home. Hate NYE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd willingly have an early night on NYE but some of the family who live within walking distance pop around for a few civilized drinks, I'm sleeping 9 to 10 hours a night at the moment, it's almost like hibernation for me. Wild horses wouldn't drag me outside the door on NYE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seamai wrote: »
    Wild horses wouldn't drag me outside the door on NYE.

Same. It would require a large sum of money. And even then.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Loughc wrote: »
    Same. It would require a large sum of money. And even then.....

I think I'd need some drugs as well as the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

New Home wrote: »
    Separating sweets. :D

Haha love it!!!

We always have been going to his parents for NYE- they'd have a buffet spread around 8pm and then just have some banter. But this year I'd like to spend it and ring the new year in at our own house having bought it few months ago but Mr Disney don't want to let his parents down so hopefully next year especially when we will have two kids under 2.

May have our own Christmas too.
    How did yas find the transition from going to parents to staying at your own house for Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We are heading to the panto and then for dinner. Then home for a few drinks for the countdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Out for a nice lunch then home to let the kids watch a film. Get them to bed and then watch some TV before turning in to Jools.
    I'd rather remove some of my body parts with a rusty blade than head out on NYE

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A couple of years' back I went out for dinner (Indian restaurant) with some friends and their kids. We left around half nine. Party poppers were deployed (way too early, but it was fun). A brilliant night. Might repeat it, if they're free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So I’m just back from a friends house and I was wondering what ye all make of this. In a dish he had roses, quality street, jellies and Ferreo Roche’s all in the same dish.

What ye think? Pick and mix style yay or nah?

Personally I think he’s a manic.
    You need to cut this person out of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

My mother in law had celebrations, QS, and Roses mixed. I thought it must be something that they do outside the pale.

Yup back at work with a massive deadline at the end of the month which is completely achievable. Prior to that, mid month, I have exams which are the culmination of a few years work, both inlaws visiting and my little ones first b-day. I had little sleep due to the impending work deadlines. Yet Im on here!! First and last post today.

I also massively missed the mark on my suprise gift so Im confined to the dog house. NYE will be a quiet one I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We'll be heading to my sisters this NYE, she lives a 5 minute walk away so is handy in terms of travel. They're doing a big curry for all the family then we'll have a few drinks without going crazy and then we'll walk home after the clock hits midnight... herself is back in work on the 2nd so NYD will be taken very handily I suspect.

On the subject of mixing the sweets, never did it ourselves (they never last that long) but in theory have no issue with the chocs, but jellies as well? That's abnormal!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back to work today - although I haven't done any work as I've been catching up on 10+ pages on this thread alone!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and that everyone who was ill is now on the mend. I'm sorry to hear about your OH's grandfather, Jude. It's so hard when they are getting older & start to get ill, more particularly I'd imagine when you are far away from them.

We've had a lovely Christmas but hectic. I'm sorry I volunteered to work today :( We had a lovely Christmas Day with my parents, then to the inlaws for a drink on Christmas night. Stephen's Day, we went out for a walk at the pier in Clogherhead and had a car picnic before heading to my parents for Christmas dinner no. 2. Then on the 27th, our eldest had her birthday so had the house full of kids, then on the 28th, a shindig at our friends who just got married recently and then yesterday, it was my Grandad's anniversary. I declined the family activities after mass though as I had no more energy left. I'm glad, that once today is over, I won't be back to work until the 6th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Watch Hogmanay on bcc2 with some snacks. Nice relaxing dinner on New Year’s Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think we are having the inlaws for dinner on NYD - don't mind this year for once as I'm not back in work on the 2nd. I've always hated that horrid feeling of panic that comes over me once the dinner is over on New Year's Day. I'm hoping to be able to enjoy it a bit more this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

63891520407c9de01e43610c31748b0f.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched almost all of the BBC Christmas carol last night, we have half the last one to go. I really didn't think it was going to be that dark. We have a one of my OH's friends visiting from another city tonight. She is heading out on the town so we don't have to entertain, I am cool with it but have politely as possible (still in the dog house) ask my OH to remind her that we have an 11 month old who will be asleep when she comes home trashed after midnight.

We are planning an early bird somewhere and then chilling at home, which is pretty much my dream NYE.

We have people calling into us for NYE, last year that happened it was 5.30am before I went to bed, let's hope it's not a repeat this year! :P

So the final stat update for 2019, will do one either tomorrow or the next day, hangover depending. :P

So remember last year and we smashed the 8k posts mark for the first time ever. We we are currently sitting at 10.5k posts this year!!

We've completely smashed last years target. This month alone we broke the 2k mark for posts and are 800 posts up on last year!

Good luck beating these records next year in 2020 :P

Once again November was the busiest month with 2.4k posts which is again 382 ahead of last year.

Jan-Aug saw us getting 4k posts and Sept-Dec was 6.5k. No surprises for when the season starts for us so :P

Well done on everyone's contribution this forum is literally nothing without our wonderful posters. Ye all have no idea what the forum means to me and how happy reading all of yer posts make me, it's a great way to unwind from the stresses of work and life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've changed the outdoor projection from Christmas to New Year images. I don't really like New Years myself - a lot of hype and I find it quite lonely, as it always makes me think of loved ones no longer with us. It'll be bed before midnight here (unless someone calls like happened the last two years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

So the final stat update for 2019, will do one either tomorrow or the next day, hangover depending. :P

So remember last year and we smashed the 8k posts mark for the first time ever. We we are currently sitting at 10.5k posts this year!!

We've completely smashed last years target. This month alone we broke the 2k mark for posts and are 800 posts up on last year!

Once again November was the busiest month with 2.4k posts which is again 382 ahead of last year.

Jan-Aug saw us getting 4k posts and Sept-Dec was 6.5k. No surprises for when the season starts for us so :P

Well done on everyone's contribution this forum is literally nothing without our wonderful posters. Ye all have no idea what the forum means to me and how happy reading all of yer posts make me, it's a great way to unwind from the stresses of work and life.

Yay to us all for those figures, quite impressive growth by any standard!

Thanks again to yourself and posy for the excellent modding, place wouldn't be the same without ye both.

On that note, a happy new year to all who contribute or lurk on the Christmas forum, fingers crossed it's kind to us all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

There great figures. I'm more of a lurker. I love the happiness of the thread. Lots of you work hard at keeping it a happy place and thank you. I'm heading out for dinner with my family and will be home in my pj's by 9. Wishing all of you a Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

First time online since few days before Christmas. Was a nice break away from social media and Boards even if I did miss at times what was going on in here and seeing what everyone is up to, I look forward to catching up on posts when back in work (will be hard to be motived for first few days!). Just a brief appearance to wish everyone a Happy New Year so a nice bonus to get a stat update! Thanks both to you and posy for the excellent running of things :D

Happy New Year all, hope 2020 bring peace and prosperity to you and yours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy New Year everyone!

Roll on Christmas 2020. :pac:

Happy new year everyone. I hope 2020 brings ye all exactly what ye desire.

And remember we all can’t win the euromillions so wish for something else :P

Happy new year everyone. I hope 2020 brings ye all exactly what ye desire.

And remember we all can’t win the euromillions so wish for something else :P

Millionaire raffle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I bought two Christmas jumpers in next for next year !! I’m in the spirit already.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I bought two Christmas jumpers in next for next year !! I’m in the spirit already.

In 5 and half hours it will be for this Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Woke up feeling absolutely rotten today. Looks like I caught one of the bugs going around over the last few weeks.
    Anyway, spent the morning in bed but perked up a bit and the 4 of us went out for a lovely lunch. Parked on the sofa now with some of the M&S party food. Hope everyone has a great night tonight spending it the way that they enjoy the most.
    HNY everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement