Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Now go to bed! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Now go to bed! :p

Can’t sleep. Fear will eat me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ugh reading this reminded me I have to go back on Monday. Boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Happy new year to everyone!!! I am envious of those who have not gone back to work. day four for me, though its the last day of the week for me also.

Vague new years resolutions. I am just trying to get through January as there is a massive deadline which will not be hit and an equally massive (for me) exams which span 12th to the 25th whilst having both sets of family over visiting.

After that I want to complete my sailing qualifications and get down to below 85kg. But basically all what DvB said. I need to live in the moment more and stop wishing it away. If I pass my exams I will have my weekends back for the first time in about 4 years so I want to put them to some use. I am flirting with the idea of starting yoga to chill out, we will see.

Taking down the decs this weekend as it is the only one free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just booked our family holiday flights there a few minutes ago... Time to start looking forward for when dreary January and February get going in earnest and I'm exercising, dieting and avoiding Guinness!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm back in work in the morning. I've my alarm set for 06:30. :D It's nice going in on a Friday and on Sunday we're doing a full Christmas dinner for Small Christmas. Really looking forward to it! I got sick on the Monday night before Christmas Eve and my Mam got sick on Christmas Eve morning so we had no Christmas dinner this year. We had some ham a few days ago but really missed Christmas Day and St Stephen's Day this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just had a roast chicken dinner with Mash, Roast
    potatoes, carrots, stuffing and gravy while listening to ChristmasFM on Alexa. Nice way to take the edge off going back to work.

It’s all about easing yourself back to normal life haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was inspired by the hasselback potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread so made them for dinner tonight. Mrs H was thrilled to get a fancy dinner after her first day back in work.
    Starting to get back into the routine now. Spent the evening working on an assignment for the last module of my diploma next Friday. Urgh, I should have started it sooner

81091644_2511351732520766_5870623383372169216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=NeE-Wyh-PagAQk-TVVAQz_y3gXuTKSlXn5_gmjJtsr67P3Y41zyECewFw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=23d95885b7e52e2f69ba4babaacacfa4&oe=5EAD7DED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Used up last of the Christmas cheese last night in a fondue, himself thought it was a waste of the aged Comté but he was forced to eat his words, went down a treat with a glass of vino, I know fondues are considered naff in certain quarters but I think it will be making a regular appearance in Chez Seamai in future, just the thing on cold winter's evening when time isn't on your side.

So how has everyone’s week been?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Short. :D

Posy wrote: »
    Short. :D

And the fear has been eradicated :) win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’m going back on Monday to what will be a busy week having been off for 2 weeks. Heading to Spain for a week on the 12th though so only back for a week. - I think I’ll manage :D

I have a chest infection so feeling crappy BUT my Christmas tree is still up and everytime I look at it I feel so happy. It's the most beautiful tree we've ever had. A little over 7 feet tall and almost as wide! But mostly I love all our decorations. The newbridge ones we add to each year, all the lovely gifted ones, the ones I took from my mums tree and mostly the couple I took from my mums tree that she had taken from her mum's. Those last couple are the plainest on it but the most meaningful. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    And the fear has been eradicated :) win win

Not for me it hasn't, only back on monday and not sure if I'm dreading it or glad to be getting back to normal. To be fair its felt like a long break and with the mrs back in work yesterday its been a bit of an anti climactic end to the break so theres a part of me quite happy to get back to it ( I'm sure I'll regret that last sentence in no time LOL)

I know I've 2 projects with deliverables for the end of the week so will be busy which is probably a good thing to jump straight back in.

I just hope January goes as fast as last year and doesnt drag like it did in 2018... whatever way it fell it seemed to last forever!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Not for me it hasn't, only back on monday and not sure if I'm dreading it or glad to be getting back to normal. To be fair its felt like a long break and with the mrs back in work yesterday its been a bit of an anti climactic end to the break so theres a part of me quite happy to get back to it ( I'm sure I'll regret that last sentence in no time LOL)

I know I've 2 projects with deliverables for the end of the week so will be busy which is probably a good thing to jump straight back in.

I just hope January goes as fast as last year and doesnt drag like it did in 2018... whatever way it fell it seemed to last forever!

We’re in peak in work so it’s mental in there at the moment. January in theory should go quick but it will be tiring. I am enjoying having some structure in my life and not consuming 40,000 calories a day. Still wish I’d win the euromillions thought :pac:

The newbridge ones we add to each year, all the lovely gifted ones, the ones I took from my mums tree and mostly the couple I took from my mums tree that she had taken from her mum's. Those last couple are the plainest on it but the most meaningful. :)

That’s lovey BuileBeag. A lovely way to carry on family traditions.

I am enjoying having some structure in my life and not consuming 40,000 calories a day. Still wish I’d win the euromillions thought :pac:

With you there, I always had an open attitude to food and drink over Christmas and fell back on the 'sod it, its Christmas' excuse but this year I took the p*ss a bit and way over indulged. Some basic lunches in work and not having constant access to sugar and saturated fats will be a welcome change.

• Advertisement

That’s lovey BuileBeag. A lovely way to carry on family traditions.

Thanks. I didn't ask, I just took them but I think she just nicked them from her mam too when she moved out, so it's sort of a tradition in itself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My vital organs are starting to fail after the last three weeks. Too much sugar, starch, beer, wine etc... My body needs a break. Back to running on Monday and no snacks during the week.
    I actually think the kids need the routine again. They've been feral for the last few days.
    Took a load of the decorations down earlier and aim to just have the tree to take down on Sunday. We still have a load of Christmas treats left over including the gingerbread reindeer we bought for the kids to assemble but you just can't do everything!
    In case anyone is interested, Christmas Starz is still broadcasting music on the satellite channels :D

Back to work Monday and have a couple of busy evenings this week too so expect myself to collapse by Friday. First week back is always the worst. I’ve got lots of little things to get done by Monday so busy Saturday and Sunday ahead. Also need to start going to bed earlier so i’ll get up earlier. I bet I won’t sleep Sunday night.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Back to work Monday and have a couple of busy evenings this week too so expect myself to collapse by Friday. First week back is always the worst. I’ve got lots of little things to get done by Monday so busy Saturday and Sunday ahead. Also need to start going to bed earlier so i’ll get up earlier. I bet I won’t sleep Sunday night.

I slept only 4.5 hours on Wednesday night it was so hard to rest. Paranoid i would sleep it out. I didn’t. :P

Your body will get back into the routines soon enough :)

81034221_2646976408743974_5799623253232189440_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=yemeHS2uQpUAQmFwt2EtXaEGUuqJ2rQycI9Lcht0FWwK6jX8C2ExM79ew&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=0c047d551f89e8a27a34d1863b973ed8&oe=5EB28A1C

Love this it’s so true!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I never take down any decorations before 7th January because of tradition and as I didn`t put anything up until mid December this time I think I will leave them up for another full week. I live on my own so I suppose I could leave them up all year round if I wanted to. (I won`t though). On that subject I knew a woman who always had her Christmas tree and decorations up by the 1st December and left them up until at least 1st February and sometimes even later than that.

I’m thinking of putting mine up earlier next year. Maybe Dec 1 instead of the 8th. I haven’t had it up long enough to enjoy it this year at all.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’m thinking of putting mine up earlier next year. Maybe Dec 1 instead of the 8th. I haven’t had it up long enough to enjoy it this year at all.

Good idea. The earlier the better imo. I put mine up last Friday of November every year and it never gets old.

• Advertisement

We used to put ours up the 2nd weekend in December or on the 8th whichever came first, the last few years that's changed to the first saturday in December or the weekend of the toy show as the kids are pushing for it then. As we always take ours down on new years day its always plenty of time up they're up for us especially as we like to have everything back to normal before going back to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement