Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I used to be like a Christmas vacuum - I couldn’t get enough of it but in the last few years I’ve found that I’m done by about 28th December. Maybe it’s the earlier start each year or maybe Its just a part of getting older. I took 2 full weeks off this year but actually found it very long. Whilst I’m not really looking forward to going back to work I’m definitely looking forward to getting back to normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I feel like I've missed Christmas in a way. Well in my own home anyway. Did a week with family down the country then 5 days away for New Year. Yesterday was the first full day of Christmas I've had in my own home and it's almost time to go back to work. Starting to think I might actually leave the tree up until next weekend now rather than take it down on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The tree is down until November.

My puppy was not impressed :P

aGPXjfY.jpg

Aww your puppy is so cute Loughc!

About to start taking our tree and decorations down. :(:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah thanks. He’s cute but he gets away with murder cause of it.

My house now looks like Christmas never even happened :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah thanks. He’s cute but he gets away with murder cause of it.

My house now looks like Christmas never even happened :(

Goldies do that!!

Bet the house looks huge.... and empty too!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was going to take them down today, but will leave it till tomorrow, will turn off outside lights off for last time tomorrow night, but will take down at weekend as it will be too dark when i get home from work, back to work after 2 weeks off, not a good feeling.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    back to work after 2 weeks off, not a good feeling.

Take it from me you’ll be fine. After 5 minutes of being back it’ll be like you were never away.

The idea of going back is always worse versus the reality of being back.

Finishing up the last few hours of the holidays this evening, brought the kids to the cinema to see the new jumanji film (v.good btw) and had a roast chicken dinner with sprouts, carrots and roast potatoes to finish it off.
    Have one mince pie left that hadn't been frozen for future consumption and will have that later tonight with a cup of tea to officially close our family christmas for 2019/20.
    Dreading what I might be facing in to with work but at least most of our clients were off for the same 2 weeks so the chances of nasty surprises are low. I've a heavy workload but if I'm left to it should be grand.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just one question, is it bad luck to take down the decos before 6 January or not.

I need to know because no one can tell me. Not that I care much, but I like to observe tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Epiphany is the 6th, traditionally that's when the Three Wise Men brought gifts. Imagine if they turned up and found nobody home... :eek: I'd leave them on, just in case.

On an entirely different matter, all the mince pies were gone from the shop. :(

DvB wrote: »
    Finishing up the last few hours of the holidays this evening, brought the kids to the cinema to see the new jumanji film (v.good btw)

I watched the first one recently out of sheer boredom and lack of other options. Really surprised myself by properly laughing out loud a good few times! Looking forward to seeing the second one now!

Just one question, is it bad luck to take down the decos before 6 January or not.

I need to know because no one can tell me. Not that I care much, but I like to observe tradition.

Yes I’ve heard it’s bad luck to take them down before the 6th. But I’m hoping that’s an old wives tale mixed with catholic tradition as I’ve taken them down before the 6th almost every year.

I watched the first one recently out of sheer boredom and lack of other options. Really surprised myself by properly laughing out loud a good few times! Looking forward to seeing the second one now!

Haven't actually seen the first one with the rock, but the kids loved it, as did my mrs, they all said the 2nd one today was better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The tradition was to leave them up until the 6th bitt that's also because people put them up a lot later too.
    I'm in the "there's no such thing as luck" camp but I do think it's nice to have them up until the 4th/5th/6th and take them down then.

Personally I'm a firm believer in Christmas bring whatever you want it to be, and the putting up and taking down of decorations completely at your own discretion with no right or wrong time for either. I would hate for anyone to feel they were pressured into leaving them up longer than they'd like just to fit in with someone else's preferences and likewise for putting them up early or late.
    Do whatever suits your beliefs and no less importantly, lifestyle. Many lead busy lives and will do what suits, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that, just like theres nothing wrong with leaving them up until February if that's your bag.

Live and let live!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was always told it was bad luck. So my tree is staying up tomorrow. :)
    I have to leave the crib up for the Epiphany- wise men and all that jazz.

I will put a few things away gradually throughout the week, and do the big tidy/boxing/attic sorting next weekend. Ease the house back into looking 'normal' again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Myself and the wife were talking earlier in the week too about cleaning the attic, we have so much Christmas decorations at this stage that I'd say we only take down about a third of what's up there.
    Find it very hard to throw out Christmas stuff though :)

Myself and the wife were talking earlier in the week too about cleaning the attic, we have so much Christmas decorations at this stage that I'd say we only take down about a third of what's up there.
    Find it very hard to throw out Christmas stuff though :)

I’m the very same. There’s too much sentimental value connected to the Christmas stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We had Christmas dinner today - it was even nicer than on the day itself, as it always is! We’re off on a little break next week so January blues will have to wait - I was back at work last week

• Advertisement

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the posts this weekend. Putting a close to the Christmas period this weekend was particularly tough this year with some personal things going on but I found the chats on here hugely helpful for keeping the spirits up so thank you all for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

If memory serves, i seem to remember when i was in school even the schools remained closed on the 6th with us returning the day after, don't know if anyone else remembers being off that day as well.

Nobody in my family's ever done anything for the 6th, i feel quite envious of those that use the day do something to acknowledge "Women's Christmas".

First day back to work for me tomorrow too, due to annual leave left over, so was nice to have the extra few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh guys I really feel for you all heading back to work tomorrow :( I'm currently on maternity leave so don't have those Sunday night blues. I hope you all have a nice takeaway planned for tomorrow evening :D
    Oh and January isn't all that bad, it's my birthday month :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gidget wrote: »
    If memory serves, i seem to remember when i was in school even the schools remained closed on the 6th with us returning the day after, don't know if anyone else remembers being off that day as well.

Nobody in my family's ever done anything for the 6th, i feel quite envious of those that use the day do something to acknowledge "Women's Christmas".

First day back to work for me tomorrow too, due to annual leave left over, so was nice to have the extra few days.

Yes I do. In fact I remember having 3 full weeks Christmas school holidays though there was a shorter Easter break than nowadays and only 1 mid term break so I suppose it all evens out.

My mam used to have to wait until we were back in school to take down the decorations or there would be awful tantrums. Can still remember the disappointment, walking in the front door and seeing the tree was gone. :(

Miss mine already. I shook his branch and thanked him for his service! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Would normally try to do something for Nollaig na mBan but tomorrow is back to work day. Getting my nails done, will have a nice dinner, a glass of wine, light all my Christmas candles and toast all the wonderful women in my life. That'll have to do.

Short week back as it's my birthday on Friday and I gave up working my birthday a long time ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Countdown 2020!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058043144

Happy January by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Love reading the posts on the Christmas threads throughout the year. Lovely people altogether. Hope you all enjoyed Christmas 2019.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Love reading the posts on the Christmas threads throughout the year. Lovely people altogether. Hope you all enjoyed Christmas 2019.

Thank you. Hope you stick around for all the madness year round :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

And both trees are down and back in the attic. I have to say keeping the radio on really kept me upbeat for the packing away. I really hadn’t wanted to take them down but I couldn’t see myself having the energy after work tomorrow. Good luck to everyone going back in the morning. Plan a nice lunch or snack for break. It’ll fly by :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement