Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wtaf is with this horrible weather this morning? A few showers were forecast but it's been like a horrible storm this morning. It really is a morning for still being on holidays and pulling the duvet up tight and going back to sleep. Even the dog followed me into the kitchen, grabbed a mouthful of his breakfast and brought it straight back to the bedroom to eat it in bed. I just want to get back in too and have a nap, instead I have to get dressed in a minute and wake poor S up. I'm not looking forward to any of today now!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's fairly bleak alright. 5 more minutes and then I will get up...

Happy Nollaig na mBan to all the lovely ladies on here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    Wtaf is with this horrible weather this morning? A few showers were forecast but it's been like a horrible storm this morning. It really is a morning for still being on holidays and pulling the duvet up tight and going back to sleep. Even the dog followed me into the kitchen, grabbed a mouthful of his breakfast and brought it straight back to the bedroom to eat it in bed. I just want to get back in too and have a nap, instead I have to get dressed in a minute and wake poor S up. I'm not looking forward to any of today now!!!!!!

The weather is dreadful, My dog brought his blanket into the kitchen and slept on that while I got his breakfast ready, he barely touched his I think he wanted to go back to bed too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Actually the weather forum did issue a wind warning last night, I didnt read it tho as I assumed we were only getting showers for a couple of hours as that what the weather app on Apple was telling me, wish I read it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back to the grindstone today but actually, I'm quite happy to be back in the routine and the kids were too. They are so small that two weeks off seems like a lifetime!

I've a feeling January will be quick enough this year - next week will already be the middle of the month! We have a few things on this month too and we've booked CentreParcs for the end of Feb so I've a feeling the weeks will fly by. Looking at the school calendar, this term is going to go so fast, they'll be out of school more than they are in! :pac: They have only 6.5 weeks until the mid-term, then they've two days for St. Patricks Day in March & then the Easter Hols start on April 3rd!

And I've only approx 10 weeks left before I start maternity leave as I will finish up a bit earlier than the two weeks beforehand I think!

• Advertisement

It’s fine out now. Just wasn’t fun walking the dog in the rain then having to turn my car lights on full as it was still dark at 8.30. Looking forward to the brighter mornings now. I sometimes wish Christmas was at the end of January so it could genuinely feel like spring was coming when Christmas ends. I’m really ready to be done with winter now!

I sometimes wish Christmas was at the end of January so it could genuinely feel like spring was coming when Christmas ends. I’m really ready to be done with winter now!

My mother has been known to take out a small Christmas tree either at Easter or in the middle of July because she hates Christmas being in the winter when it's cold and miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Well that's it until October

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Back to the grind today like many. Been easing myself in the last hour on here :)

Had a nice, if slightly more hectic,couple of weeks off. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New Year. Starting back to work seemed like the right time to come out my online break.

To be honest has been a manic few days so needed to come on here for some cheering up. Woke up to some bad news on Saturday, that my uncle had fallen down the stairs during the night and was in A&E (seems to be ok thank God). My wife's brother ended up in A&E as well on Saturday so we were in with him most of the evening till 1am (very sad story that wouldn't bring everyone down with). Then when we were in there Elf2 feel off a kitchen chair so ended up in Temple Street with him Sunday morning (fractured elbow). These things always happen in threes ah!! All will be fine, which is the most important thing.

Taking down of decoration has been delayed so will start tonight with Christmas FM on the app to help get through it.

Anyway, better check the emails and do a bit of work!

Ps. is great to be back :)

Acosta wrote: »
    Well that's it until October

More end of August really... that's when I feel it really creeps back in.
    It’s fine out now. Just wasn’t fun walking the dog in the rain then having to turn my car lights on full as it was still dark at 8.30. Looking forward to the brighter mornings now. I sometimes wish Christmas was at the end of January so it could genuinely feel like spring was coming when Christmas ends. I’m really ready to be done with winter now!

Yea I hate the dark mornings and evenings without the tree lights, I was only thinking this morning if given the option to keep the tree up all year I'd still have it gone by Spring as sun and Christmas tree doesn't go hand in hand.

• Advertisement

I’m such a big baba today guys. I can’t believe it’s only half 11. I feel like I’ve been at work for 10 hours and I want to go home!

I’m such a big baba today guys. I can’t believe it’s only half 11. I feel like I’ve been at work for 10 hours and I want to go home!

I think the whole country is feeling that way today, including me and I was back in work last week, just remember this feeling will pass and better days are coming! :)

I think it’s because I was up 4 hours earlier than I have been for nearly 2 weeks. So to my body it’s nearly 4pm.

TRS30 wrote: »

Ps. is great to be back :)

I assume you mean here and not work! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Back a half day & feels like I was never away!

A big welcome back to all those who took a sabbatical from the forum BTW!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »
    I assume you mean here and not work! :P

Definitely :D

DvB wrote: »

A big welcome back to all those who took a sabbatical from the forum BTW!!

I know that feeling!

Hope you had a nice break DvB.

Any preferences for your new HC??

I know that feeling!

Hope you had a nice break DvB.

Any preferences for your new HC??

Havent really thought about it too much TBH, but not McCarthy anyway! His time at GB tells me he'd be a terrible fit for the cowboys.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Always the way, the idea of going back to work is always worse than the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Happy New Year to you all!

First day back to work for me too but tbh I'm not minding it too much! Have an interview next week for a promotion so it's something to concentrate on now for the next week and put my mind off Christmas being over....waaaaahhh!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy New Year everyone I hope everyone is well and had a lovely Christmas
    Nollaig na mBan Happy Little Women’s Christmas 🎄

I haven’t been on the forum since the run up to Christmas I got to read some threads but really looking forward to catching up on everything here and sticking around on here this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I posted this over in After Hours also.
    I had a dream last night I had just returned back to school after the Christmas holidays in 6th year.
    My Irish teacher had a go at me saying they'd be keeping an eye on me over the next few weeks.(Things may have got a little heated.)
    I then opened my bag and all I had in it was a maths book, the bag for the Christmas tree and news papers that were in the way at home.
    I then had to say I left all my books in my locker over Christmas.
    I'm so happy not to be going back to school this week.

Havent really thought about it too much TBH, but not McCarthy anyway! His time at GB tells me he'd be a terrible fit for the cowboys.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All tidied away and Christmas is officially over in this house, as of half past three.

Although I'll be having pudding and custard desserts and pudding with my morning coffee until, probably, the end of February.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news........

Dont want to derail this thread so will discuss over in the AF forum.

Although I'll be having pudding and custard desserts and pudding with my morning coffee until, probably, the end of February.

Ditto - we have 1.5 puddings left and half a Christmas Cake! Not to mention the unopened boxes of biscuits, sweets and selection boxes! We have about 10 selection boxes! Why do people buy other people's children selection boxes? It actually drives me demented! Rant over :o

Dont want to derail this thread so will discuss over in the AF forum.

Throws yellow flag onto the thread....

Ruling on the thread... I'll allow it :pac:

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Ditto - we have 1.5 puddings left and half a Christmas Cake! Not to mention the unopened boxes of biscuits, sweets and selection boxes! We have about 10 selection boxes! Why do people buy other people's children selection boxes? It actually drives me demented! Rant over :o

We have very little left over this year, we purposely held off over buying as we did previous years, now I only have 5 snowballs left, 5 packets of King Crisps and 2 small selection boxes.

I will gladly accept any selection boxes :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've just remembered we have an entire cheese gift box with crackers and chutney left :eek: holy moly. Nothing else, thankfully, I will try and hold on to that until we are going to someone's house in the near future (they are all cheddars so they should be fine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I made it through day 1. Took until 3.30am to fall asleep so I wasn’t ready for my 7am alarm call. In fact I was convincing myself that it wasn’t an alarm going off but a fault in my phone. Couldn’t understand why it was so dark out either. Now to chill on the couch and get an early night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement