Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Safe flight home! Don't forget to bring us all a duty free Toblerone :D
    Some of my neighbours still have lights and trees up. They were nice to see on our walk this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just back from Disney store (Grafton street) and 70% off on their remaining Christmas stuff. Some stuff still v expensive however wrapping paper for 50c and a few other cheap things as well.

Just in case anyone wants to start stocking up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Made it to Friday. Already in my pjs !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Taking stock... Knew it was going to be three weeks between shopping deliveries so planned accordingly !

I did well; still have one box of mince pies and a Christmas pudding left... Oh and the melon and pineapple await attention... Would have loved more sprouts and they had none ;eft BUT I froze some..

I did well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 340's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Has anyone else noticed a tiny stretch in the evenings?
    Hopefully January tips along nicely for everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

January has been moving alright. I think it’s gonna be a quick month.

The weather has been so bad lately I haven’t noticed any chance in the earlier nights :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes, I have for about a week now. The lengthening days will be really noticeable by the end of this month especially if we get a few days with clear skies. (I know that`s asking for a lot in our climate).:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Its been raining here all weekend making roads impassible and general chaos. Seems like the right time to watch some Christmas things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Preoccupied with stormy weather out here; offshore Atlantic island... Tomorrow, Brendan lands and already strong winds out here.

The bowl of huge blue hyacinths in full fragrant bloom is SPRING so let the past be past here. No regrets..... They just came out ( good planning as I forced them ) when the small table top tree went into storage... Perfect transition.

• Advertisement

Trying to get my chores done early so I can sit and unwind this week. Exactly where I went wrong last week. The house doesn’t half fall apart when i’m at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My denuded and unlit tree is still sitting in a corner of the kitchen awaiting a trip to the council depot. Tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

We've done an incredible job holding the artificially high tidiness level of the public rooms of the house together, but I doubt it'll last til Easter. And we're not hosting for 2020 - going to the OHs parents - there's zero chance it'll hold. But I'm enjoying the clear coffee table top and no piles of paperwork or clothes anywhere while it lasts!

I need to pick what the next decoration victim is for next year after adding the staircase bannisters this year. Outdoor lighting is probably the most sensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

God I hate when it's over. Bleeeeedin ages till Christmas now.

'Sake.

Gonna have some mince pies & cream in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Serious Debbie Downer Alert!!!!!!!

I want to go back to Christmas please. Last week at work turned out to be just horrible and more stressful than I can quite comprehend. And I'm not sure when it's going to get any better because it's made me really look at some stuff I'd been putting up with and reevaluating massively. I've slept about 3 hours a night since Wednesday. I have a lot of outlets to deal with stress and get me through it, but I'm feeling close to breaking point now. And to make matters worse, I think I'm going to have several hours of unexpected free time today and the crappy storm means extra dangerous driving for me instead of a chance to go get some fresh air in the park or something else nice and restorative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

That sounds horrible, Iguana. Mind yourself. Sometimes when it all gets too much, it's nearly better to take a sick day from work and just have some time to be nice to yourself. And there is nothing worse than sleep deprivation. There's a reason why they use it as a form of torture :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »

I want to go back to Christmas please. Last week at work turned out to be just horrible and more stressful than I can quite comprehend. And I'm not sure when it's going to get any better because it's made me really look at some stuff I'd been putting up with and reevaluating massively. I've slept about 3 hours a night since Wednesday. I have a lot of outlets to deal with stress and get me through it, but I'm feeling close to breaking point now. And to make matters worse, I think I'm going to have several hours of unexpected free time today and the crappy storm means extra dangerous driving for me instead of a chance to go get some fresh air in the park or something else nice and restorative.

I think it's important to remember we can't be happy 24/7, feeling down and stressed is normal and ok. I feel your pain I'm struggling in work at the moment it's only the second full week back and already I feel wiped. I'm up early on the weekends as well so I don't even get the luxury of a lie on anymore.

I've completely lost all Christmas magic and I am finding it hard to get any of it back and I'm struggling to eat good as well. I'm finding it hard to snap out of this funk but I have to accept sometimes these feelings and times of stress happen and it can't all be good.

I know it will pass, and I know it will pass for you too, don't ever feel bad for posting stuff like this on here, writing things down or saying them outloud sometimes help get them off your chest and feel better. And we are always here to listen to good and bad!

iguana wrote: »

Not a downer at all. As the saying goes 'It's ok not to be ok'. If venting/sharing or whatever helps then please do.

Some recent close to home mental health issues have made me realise that we send a lot of time thinking about our physical health and not enough on our mental health.

Try not to let things get on top of you and reach out for help if needed, either professionally, family & friends or anonymously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Apologies to Brendan for calling his storm crappy. It’s now the lovely storm that has genuinely made it unsafe for me to travel. I’m going to tidy my house as it’s honestly still a bit of a post Christmas mess and start my year over tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I think it's important to remember we can't be happy 24/7, feeling down and stressed is normal and ok. I feel your pain I'm struggling in work at the moment it's only the second full week back and already I feel wiped. I'm up early on the weekends as well so I don't even get the luxury of a lie on anymore.

I've completely lost all Christmas magic and I am finding it hard to get any of it back and I'm struggling to eat good as well. I'm finding it hard to snap out of this funk but I have to accept sometimes these feelings and times of stress happen and it can't all be good.

I know it will pass, and I know it will pass for you too, don't ever feel bad for posting stuff like this on here, writing things down or saying them outloud sometimes help get them off your chest and feel better. And we are always here to listen to good and bad!

Good post.

Its important that we realise that life isn't all fun & games, twinkly lights, presents & quality street. There are times when life is hard, we get stressed & upset and dont feel in control of every element of our lives & its scary. But whats more important is that we realise that its perfectly okay to feel like that, there will be times when we need help, even if its just a friendly ear to vent to & have someone listen to us, and never ever be afraid to ask for that help, trust me there is no shame in doing so & i wish more would as the world would be a far nicer place if we did. You'd be amazed how many nice people are out there and are more than happy to help.

We are all human afterall, we're not robots who can turn our feelings off & on as we choose, there'll be lows, but remember, its the lows that make the highs so good & remember, they good times will come around again, but for now please dont bottle it all up & let the stress win, as someone who struggles with it I know all too well how overwhelming it can be at times, panic inducing in fact, but always have been fortunate enough like yourself to find an avenue to relieve that stress, so if talking here helps, you fire away, theres no shortage of great people on here who will be more than happy to advise, of if needs be just listen with a sympathetic ear.

Take care of yourself Iguana & remember, nothing lasts forever.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I often find a night of Karaoke with friends mid-January always cheers up the post Christmas blues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DvB wrote: »
    Good post.

Its important that we realise that life isn't all fun & games, twinkly lights, presents & quality street.
    100%.

This forum isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.

We are hear for all the good and bad- and if you can't vent in January, when can you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ye are all a lovely bunch, it's nice to have somewhere to come when you're feeling a bit down and know you'll have a kind word in return :) I know, generally, this forum is about Christmas but I think it's a good idea to get the point across that it can also be a place where we can "talk" if we are having a tough time, while also talking about everything to do with our favourite time of year!

It’s not surprising my work emailed us a list of supports for our wellbeing this week. It’s so hard after the highs of Christmas to come straight away black and dismal days. Take care of yourself and do use a day to concentrate on your mental wellbeing if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hope it all perks up Iguana. I am channeling the Christmas spirit as I have a strep throat and a nice little cough to aggravate it. I can't take any time off, I think its stress induced this month.

Have my folks visiting this weekend so looking forward to that and hoping they bring over some pork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Jude13 wrote: »
    Hope it all perks up Iguana. I am channeling the Christmas spirit as I have a strep throat and a nice little cough to aggravate it. I can't take any time off, I think its stress induced this month.

Have my folks visiting this weekend so looking forward to that and hoping they bring over some pork.

Oh no. Hope you feel better soon. Surprised you're allowed to work with strep as it's contagious. I used to get it a lot and my doctor was adamant I went straight home and didn't go back to work until I'd finished the antibiotics. *Not medical advice*

• Site Banned Posts: 7 King Mog

January is dragging more than I thought it would. Christmas seems so long ago but it’s only the 14th

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, this time last month it was still all stretching ahead of us!

King Mog wrote: »
    January is dragging more than I thought it would. Christmas seems so long ago but it’s only the 14th

I think it’s moving along nicely. But I’m up the walls here in work and my spare time is flying by.

Loughc wrote: »
    I think it’s moving along nicely. But I’m up the walls here in work and my spare time is flying by.

Same. While work itself hasn't been too hectic there has been lots of stuff outside work that taken up a lot of my time and effort and made the time fly by. The worst part of the week is over for me, I have an irrational hatred of Tuesday mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    The worst part of the week is over for me, I have an irrational hatred of Tuesday mornings!

Same. Hate Tuesdays, my least favourite day of the week by some margin.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement