Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

jr86 wrote: »
    This - the first 3 months of the year are definitely my least favourite!

The fact they're the furthest from Christmas is probably a major factor ( :p ) but I get fed up of the dark evenings and extremely changeable weather, once December passes (when it is nice and seasonal)!

I always love it when April comes around and the days are getting brighter and the evenings longer, with the weather much more settled generally. I find the year just whizzes by after that!

Yes, you get me! We're on the same wavelength. We need to campaign for this!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DvB wrote: »
    But, but, but, it opens earlier & earlier every year :D
    I hear it already opened last August for Christmas 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    I hear it already opened last August for Christmas 2021.

Wouldn't surprise me. Sure some of the neighbours around here had their decorations up in january, a bit early that....
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I was in The Range today. Loads of Christmas decorations still on sale. :( I miss you Christmas!!!

I was in The Range today. Loads of Christmas decorations still on sale. :( I miss you Christmas!!!

A great time of year to pick up some bits n Bob's. We replaced a load of lights last year in the clearance sales.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

kitten_k wrote: »
    The lovely twinkly lights on my commute home have been replaced by horrible election posters :(

They should have put twinkly lights on the posters!

That would* get my vote!! :D

*still probably wouldn't really- they're all as bad as each other

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They should have put twinkly lights on the posters!

OMG I love that idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Excellent. I know where I'm going tomorrow in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

So cold today, really feels like Christmas should be arriving not departing. I am at my desk with my suit jacket on and I am freezing. This time of year is usually shorts and t-shirts. This weekend particularly we usually go to Abu Dhabi catch up with friends and watch the golf, sitting on the grass boozing. The cold is coming through the floor through the soles of my shoes. It was 14c when i got to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The 50 weeks to go are gone until next year. Onto the 40’s now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Glad January is moving along, will be better now to get brighter evenings and get the year moving.
    With the frosty weather the last few nights I think I have been getting a bit of post Christmas blues, have been out with the dog the last few evenings and no more lights on the houses and the cheer has worn off.
    Anyway, stay positive, have joined a gym and time to lose the winter/middle age spread weight :)

Had that dream last night that most of the neighbours had their Christmas decorations up again. I literally have that dream at least once a year.

I've just arrived in my mams house and on the drive over here I saw a Christmas tree all lit up in someone's front room. Just the pick me up I needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭kitten_k

The hole in the wall still have their deccies up according to someone on Instagram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Sorry for moaning earlier about no Christmas lights up, drove out the N2 past the M50 Christmas shop and they still are lit up advertising the shop, it really does lift the spirits!
    Imagine Winter without Christmas? shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kitten_k wrote: »
    The hole in the wall still have their deccies up according to someone on Instagram

Strawberry Hall always has theirs up until at least February!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Nothing too much Christmasy this weekend however brought the last of the mince pies to the nieces birthday party yesterday and went down a treat.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Nothing too much Christmasy this weekend however brought the last of the mince pies to the nieces birthday party yesterday and went down a treat.

Still have a box of 6 frozen at home... a nice little treat every weekend with a coffee to stretch into the new year.

Though we bought hot cross buns when doing our grocery shopping at the weekend, always associated them with Easter but happy enough to see them out early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We bought hot cross buns this week too. Treat for during the week for the parents. Anyone know what to do with ponsiettas? I have three of them still alive here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A relative of mine who lived in Indonesia for a while told me they had pointsettias outside in their garden. They were actual trees. Ok, the climate is different, but... treeeeees!!!

My pointsettia lived for a week, then died. :(

My Christmas cactus survived the festive period though at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 330's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still have a box of 6 frozen at home...

I have one mince pie left....oh and a whole Christmas pudding..

Graces7 wrote: »

We have a pudding as well. In date until 2021 too so we're in no rush to eat it either :)

We have a pudding as well. In date until 2021 too so we're in no rush to eat it either :)

That box mince pies was the last 'Christmas food' in the house however lots of chocolate and tins of biscuits still around to tempt me!

That box mince pies was the last 'Christmas food' in the house however lots of chocolate and tins of biscuits still around to tempt me!

We had the twins birthday party last weekend with all their friends at a local leisureplex/activity centre = cake.

This weekend the older members of their wider family get their chance to celebrate their birthday at our house = more cake!

We've been doing really well in terms of getting rid of excess Christmas biscuits/cakes/choccy treats & not buying anymore and hopefully now with the birthday celebrations done for a bit we can just concentrate on all the pringes, doritos & peanuts etc. we still have left over from Christmas :)

The gas thing is, I was always a demon for the crisp/tortillas/peanut snacks and nowadays I barely touch them unless I'm having a drink at home with people around or suchlike. Theres a decent chance of them going out of date before we get around to using them in fact.

We had the twins birthday party last weekend with all their friends at a local leisureplex/activity centre = cake.

This weekend the older members of their wider family get their chance to celebrate their birthday at our house = more cake!

We've been doing really well in terms of getting rid of excess Christmas biscuits/cakes/choccy treats & not buying anymore and hopefully now with the birthday celebrations done for a bit we can just concentrate on all the pringes, doritos & peanuts etc. we still have left over from Christmas :)

The gas thing is, I was always a demon for the crisp/tortillas/peanut snacks and nowadays I barely touch them unless I'm having a drink at home with people around or suchlike. Theres a decent chance of them going out of date before we get around to using them in fact.

For some reason, the 'snacks' crisps, peanuts, pringles, nachos etc seem to be the one thing we always but way too much of and have tons left over after Christmas. I suppose it's like Christmas lights and you buy way more that need, just in case you run out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On LIDL Ireland's Twitter they have a post saying that

In the month of December, our customers bought...
    46,500 bottles of prosecco
    1,200,000 tubs of chocolate sweets
    60,000 Christmas puddings
    1,000,000 mince pies

and then 1,600,000 bags of Tayto... in ONE DAY.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement