Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy February everyone,

January wasnt too bad for me this year usually I dread the decorations coming down and dread work etc etc...maybe it is the walking I am doing I think having a few bits planned for January helped... prosecco brunch with a pal and the comedy gig in the 3 arena plus I have done several sessions at the salt caves for my sinus and asthma after two antibiotics and steroids between November and December

We started February off with a trip to the matinee in the Gaiety yesterday followed by a cheat day.. 3 course meal, I got out for a walk in the nice weather this afternoon just before it turned and have had a nice roast this afternoon just watched the Spurs and City match which my poor heart is not the better off with both myself and himself roaring and screaming at the TV :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

SarahLil wrote: »
    Happy February everyone,

January wasnt too bad for me this year usually I dread the decorations coming down and dread work etc etc...maybe it is the walking I am doing I think having a few bits planned for January helped... prosecco brunch with a pal and the comedy gig in the 3 arena plus I have done several sessions at the salt caves for my sinus and asthma after two antibiotics and steroids between November and December

We started February off with a trip to the matinee in the Gaiety yesterday followed by a cheat day.. 3 course meal, I got out for a walk in the nice weather this afternoon just before it turned and have had a nice roast this afternoon just watched the Spurs and City match which my poor heart is not the better off with both myself and himself roaring and screaming at the TV :D

I don’t normally suffer with sinus problems but how do the salt caves work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone watching the Super Bowl tonight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nope! :p
    Loughc wrote: »
    Wow that day turned quickly. Thankfully we got the walk in before it started raining!!
    I was a few minutes from my house when it started to drizzle. Myself and the dog were the door maybe 5 minutes when it started to downpour. Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

My OH had a bereavement last week so flew home, it hits hard as we are so far away. I have been daddying for the past four days and it's been rewarding but exhausting. My OH has missed one milestone, our 1 year old has figured out the dog flap. She was playing on the floor and I went to the next room to grab something and spotted her through the window outside in the garden. Bit of a panic.

Trying to plan a staycation in the next few weeks, just a night away with the offspring as well so nothing mad. I got asked to help crew on a boat this weekend, first time doing for this crew so a bit nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yeah.
    Some 4th Quarter that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Sorry to hear about your loss, Jude!

Glad to be in Feb finally :) Although January wasn't too bad this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Got up early to watch it as had it recorded. Speed watched the whole game in about 40 mins this morning. Was going so well till got to the last 5 mins, both Elves 1&2 where up by then so I had to relent to the non stop requests for 'Micky and the Roadester Racers' :( Will watch it later even though I know what happens!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Tell your friend, I believe 1st Mar is 298 (my math could be off though!).

Luckily I don't have to use maths much in my job!! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Yeah.
    Some 4th Quarter that.

Great finish to the game. Wasn't expecting it at all.

• Advertisement

Great finish to the game. Wasn't expecting it at all.

If someone had of told me at the end of the 3rd what was going to happen I'd have laughed at them... some turnaround. But the SB seems to bring that out in teams nowadays.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I don’t normally suffer with sinus problems but how do the salt caves work?

I have asthma all my life and sinus problems since my teens I had a wheeze on my chest and felt out of breath over the Christmas the day I went the salt cave and afterwards it disappeared

Here is some info

Salt has the following properties:
    Antibacterial
    Anti-inflammatory
    Mucolytic effects: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
    Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
    Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)
    Salt Therapy Can Significantly Help To:
    Reduce the need for inhalers and antibiotics
    Make your breathing easier after just a few sessions
    Improve lung function
    Reduce the number of hospital admissions
    Alleviate sneezing, coughing, and shortness of breath
    Clear mucus and sticky phlegm from the lungs
    Increase the resistance to respiratory tract diseases
    Strengthen your immune system
    Prolong remission times
    Improve general health and quality of life
    The treatment’s efficacy is estimated at 75-98% depending on conditions
    Enhance sport performance for professionals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I have asthma all my life and sinus problems since my teens I had a wheeze on my chest and felt out of breath over the Christmas the day I went the salt cave and afterwards it disappeared

Here is some info

Salt has the following properties:
    Antibacterial
    Anti-inflammatory
    Mucolytic effects: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
    Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
    Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)
    Salt Therapy Can Significantly Help To:
    Reduce the need for inhalers and antibiotics
    Make your breathing easier after just a few sessions
    Improve lung function
    Reduce the number of hospital admissions
    Alleviate sneezing, coughing, and shortness of breath
    Clear mucus and sticky phlegm from the lungs
    Increase the resistance to respiratory tract diseases
    Strengthen your immune system
    Prolong remission times
    Improve general health and quality of life
    The treatment’s efficacy is estimated at 75-98% depending on conditions
    Enhance sport performance for professionals

Sounds like this is what I need. I’m a long term asthmatic and the past week i’ve had to get the inhaler out which is unusual for me.
    Where do you go Sarahlil? Any recommendations? You can pm if you like.

Same. Couldn't believe the rain as we drove to my sons hurling tournament this afternoon, it was really chucking it down. Hope it's not like that tomorrow going to work.

My eldest likes playing but her pals are putting her off it, much to my annoyance. She has other activities, which she loves, that now won't allow time to play. Santa got the youngest a foam Hurl for Christmas, and being 1 and a complete nutter I am sure she will play in croke park already. She also got a half and half county jersey from Santa, santa informed me that it cost 78 bloody euro.

Jude13 wrote: »
    My eldest likes playing but her pals are putting her off it, much to my annoyance. She has other activities, which she loves, that now won't allow time to play. Santa got the youngest a foam Hurl for Christmas, and being 1 and a complete nutter I am sure she will play in croke park already. She also got a half and half county jersey from Santa, santa informed me that it cost 78 bloody euro.

My two werent mad on the hurling/camogie at the start & both preferred football, but my son has changed in the last year or so & loves the hurling, to the extent if the weather is decent he'll ask me to go over to the park with him & hit a few balls to one another. My daughter is well into the ground hurling but is struggling to get to grips with raising the ball & is getting frustrated a tad. Its a great sport IMO, far far better than Gaelic football (Apologies if that offends anyone, just my own opinion) & would love to see both of them stick with it. I stopped playing at 17 to play Hockey & despite being successful alwasy regretted giving up the hurling.

Game of gods, football is only training for hurling as we all know. This is supported by Santa bring a hurl not a football.* In saying that I gave up at 20 after losing another final and stuck with the oval ball. played hockey in my youth too till 16.

*all tongue in cheek, once they are doing any sport/ballet etc its great (sport does not include games such as darts, golf or other things you don't run during)

Jude13 wrote: »
    Game of gods, football is only training for hurling as we all know. This is supported by Santa bring a hurl not a football.* In saying that I gave up at 20 after losing another final and stuck with the oval ball. played hockey in my youth too till 16.

*all tongue in cheek, once they are doing any sport/ballet etc its great (sport does not include games such as darts, golf or other things you don't run during)

With you 100%. & a sport isnt a sport if you dont sweat doing it IMO, i.e. if you can still play it whilst having a pint its not a sport :D

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Sounds like this is what I need. I’m a long term asthmatic and the past week i’ve had to get the inhaler out which is unusual for me.
    Where do you go Sarahlil? Any recommendations? You can pm if you like.

Just sent pm :)

Oh guys if anyone has children with breathing problems or can't shake off the sickness the salt caves have separate areas for children where they can play or watch tv getting all the benefits

I'll definitely be booking in later this year so I am not sick for Christmas 2020
    I told himself to get me vouchers for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Just sent pm :)

Oh guys if anyone has children with breathing problems or can't shake off the sickness the salt caves have separate areas for children where they can play or watch tv getting all the benefits

I'll definitely be booking in later this year so I am not sick for Christmas 2020
    I told himself to get me vouchers for it :D

Could I ask for a pm from you also please SarahLil ?

Youngest son , well he's 24 , is asthmatic all his life , and one granddaughter was diagnosed before Christmas .

I'd never heard of the Salt Caves before tbh , only the Salt Lamps :)

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Could I ask for a pm from you also please SarahLil ?

Youngest son , well he's 24 , is asthmatic all his life , and one granddaughter was diagnosed before Christmas .

I'd never heard of the Salt Caves before tbh , only the Salt Lamps :)

No problem at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

No problem at all

Thank you so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I have never been but I heard there is salt rooms in Ratoath if that is of benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Six weeks ago it was Christmas Eve and in six weeks time it will be St Patrick's Day!

Six weeks ago it was Christmas Eve and in six weeks time it will be St Patrick's Day!

The no Bank Holidays really makes this time of the year seem long. I usually take a Monday or Friday off to have a long weekend to look forward to.

The no Bank Holidays really makes this time of the year seem long. I usually take a Monday or Friday off to have a long weekend to look forward to.

Taking the friday & Monday before St. Patricks day myself. Already looking forward to the break from work madness.

Taking the friday & Monday before St. Patricks day myself. Already looking forward to the break from work madness.

yea, will probably take that Monday as well or at worst work from home. No major holiday, time off plans for this year so don't mind using a couple of odd days early in the year.

I'm the opposite, I actually find that this is the one time of the year that I can manage without a holiday or time off. I normally find that once you are through January, February flies past and before you know it, it's St. Patrick's Day. And then you are into the Easter & May Bank Holidays. I usually find the stretch from the August Bank Hol to Hallowe'en the longest stretch!

That said, for the first time ever, I do have a long weekend booked for the end of this month.

Never really thought about the bank holidays like that TBH, always really just considered January/February as a 'get through as quick as possible' phase before the nicer parts of the year start around Easter.
    Similar to what was said above, I always find once Jan & Feb are gone the year seems to start moving at an increased pace... dont get the August-Oct one myself as once the kids go back to school at the end of August the weeks seem to fly by.
    Amazing how we all precieve time differently isnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, I actually find that this is the one time of the year that I can manage without a holiday or time off. I normally find that once you are through January, February flies past and before you know it, it's St. Patrick's Day. And then you are into the Easter & May Bank Holidays. I usually find the stretch from the August Bank Hol to Hallowe'en the longest stretch!

That said, for the first time ever, I do have a long weekend booked for the end of this month.

Spare a thought for us poor fcukers in the north who don't get the October BH at all. We get the 2 days over the 12th July instead which is nice but that period from the end of August to December 25th is really tough! :(

• Advertisement

Yeah that is rough alright - I couldn't manage it I don't think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement