Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Nah I can't. Usually take a few days around the husband's birthday at the start of November. Otherwise I'd lose the plot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for us poor fcukers in the north who don't get the October BH at all. We get the 2 days over the 12th July instead which is nice but that period from the end of August to December 25th is really tough! :(

Jesus that is rough.

As everyone says once paddy’s day kicks in the months really start flying by.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for us poor fcukers in the north who don't get the October BH at all. We get the 2 days over the 12th July instead which is nice but that period from the end of August to December 25th is really tough! :(
    That is a nasty stretch!
    And it's not like Christmas/New Year is really a bank holiday, in the sense we usually think of it, so there is nothing from August until Easter if you're in mainland Britain, or August until Paddy's Day if you're up north.

I've always thought it was weird to have two Bank Holidays in May, and for the 'summer' bank holiday to be the last Monday in August, at the very very end of the summer.

A July bank holiday would be lovely though. :D

Patrick's Day falls on a Tuesday this year, so our spell of three day weekends for it is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    Patrick's Day falls on a Tuesday this year, so our spell of three day weekends for it is ruined.

It isn't great is it, more I think about it defo taking the Monday off. Four days off for 1 days leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    It isn't great is it, more I think about it defo taking the Monday off. Four days off for 1 days leave.

I'm taking the Friday before off as well, though thats only because we're going to see Rhod Gilbet the night before & plan on making a night of it :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Posy wrote: »

I think a lot of people with school going children will have to take the Monday as a lot of the schools seem to be taking the Monday as a school holiday - even though they have midterm three weeks beforehand and Easter three weeks after.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think a lot of people with school going children will have to take the Monday as a lot of the schools seem to be taking the Monday as a school holiday - even though they have midterm three weeks beforehand and Easter three weeks after.

Dont start me on schools and their holidays. Ours were back after Christmas 3 days and then were off for a days teacher 'training'... then we have the usual spring medley of mid term, paddy's day and Easter followed by another mid term in may... crazy trying to organise work around it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Stop! This is our first year but I thought ours were really good up until Christmas - they had only the mid term at Hallowe'en and one In-Service Day. But it seems that this side of Christmas, they are going to be off nearly every three weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Second the stop. I live with a teacher and its has the longest hours, shortest holidays, lowest pay, worst conditions and under valued staff. It's cruel how they were forced in to this profession and not allowed leave.

Cost of flights at the school holidays make my blood pressure go through the roof.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cost of flights at the school holidays make my blood pressure go through the roof.

Cost of anything during the school holidays! We are going to CentreParcs at the end of the month and it was about 600euro I think. To go for the same length of time during the Easter Hols is nearly 1200euro! For three nights!

• Advertisement

Yup, we looked at centre parcs and it was cheaper to go to Tuscany, so thats what we did.

DvB wrote: »
    Dont start me on schools and their holidays. Ours were back after Christmas 3 days and then were off for a days teacher 'training'... then we have the usual spring medley of mid term, paddy's day and Easter followed by another mid term in may... crazy trying to organise work around it.

A training day, the Tuesday after Halloween mid term. Seriously, are you taking the p!ss :mad: My wife wouldn't let me near the school for a few weeks in fear I was going to have a Michael Douglas moment :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Those no good time wasting teachers were probably just having a mindfulness training day.!! In all seriousness , the majority of teachers would rather carry on teaching their classes than sit through some of the rubbish training they get. Mind numbing stuff. You wouldn’t believe it.

I think that is across all professions. I would have loved as a kid if they thought mindfulness and meditation as a class. Would have diven me some time to day dream about Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Second the stop. I live with a teacher

I also live with a teacher and I can second this about school holidays holidays away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭jellybear

Ah guys as a teacher, I'm a bit disappointed with the negativity on what's usually the happiest and friendliest thread! Just so you know, we generally don't have any say in in-service days and when they're run. Yes, we as a staff, in most schools, have a vote on holidays but in-service days are not chosen by us. And sure you know there's a shortage of teachers these days so plenty of space for anyone who wants to join us :P :D

jellybear wrote: »
    Ah guys as a teacher, I'm a bit disappointed with the negativity on what's usually the happiest and friendliest thread! Just so you know, we generally don't have any say in in-service days and when they're run. Yes, we as a staff, in most schools, have a vote on holidays but in-service days are not chosen by us. And sure you know there's a shortage of teachers these days so plenty of space for anyone who wants to join us :P :D

I can completely agree with this. My wife is a teacher and I was astounded by the work she has to do outside of school hours, every handout a child received is designed by a teacher, every internal exam designed by a teacher, homework, essay, exams all corrected by teachers at home in their own hours.

Everytime I joke about her holidays she always says to me go back to college and get your education degree and come join me, and to be honest I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be prepared to take the paycut and go back on a starter teachers salary. It's shocking pay for the important work they do.

Loughc wrote: »
    I can completely agree with this. My wife is a teacher and I was astounded by the work she has to do outside of school hours, every handout a child received is designed by a teacher, every internal exam designed by a teacher, homework, essay, exams all corrected by teachers at home in their own hours.

Everytime I joke about her holidays she always says to me go back to college and get your education degree and come join me, and to be honest I couldn't do it, I wouldn't be prepared to take the paycut and go back on a starter teachers salary. It's shocking pay for the important work they do.

Just to be clear my anger was directed at the Dept of Ed, not teachers themselves. It was more a case of 'don't shoot the messenger'!

I do realise it must be very difficult organising childcare around holidays, training days etc but I suppose it's just part of having kids. Much like standing pitch side on a rainy Saturday morning (I'm dreading that in a few years!!)

Apologies JellyBear! Not directed at teachers themselves! I know plenty of teachers and understand full well the stress on them and how much hours they put in!

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »

Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Not to disturb the Red Robin game but that is a GREAT Question, it really was one of those events you certainly will remember what you were doing when it happened.

I had registered for college that morning and I was on the way back home on the bus listening to my digital walkman (remember them) and 2FM was interrupted with the news that a plane had hit one of the twin towers.

I got home and was glued to Sky News for the rest of the day.

My student card forever had the registration date of 11/09/2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Not to disturb the Red Robin game but that is a GREAT Question, it really was one of those events you certainly will remember what you were doing when it happened.

Working in a tour operators at the time, only 3 months in the job! Sitting at the desk with 5 other girls and a guy who was the office gossip strides past the desk ever so casually saying a plane had hit the World Trade Centre. Hate to admit it but I wasn’t really familiar with them at that time and by the way he said it, I taught it was something small and stupidly ask “Oh are they all dead”, then he started coming past again and again with more updates. I remember all the Big Suits in the office all gathered around a tv in one of the managers office watching it all, while the rest of us were left to continue on working, so by the time I was finished for the day I still hadn’t seen any of the footage or grasped what was really happening until I got home and watched all the events of the day at home with my family. I also remember travelling home on the bus that evening and the bus being deathly quiet, like everyone knew what had happened & was in a sombre silence. Oh and I got laid off from my job a month later, due to business taking a nose dive due to people being afraid to travel.

Oh lads, no need to apologise! I'm just a hormonal, sleep deprived mammy of a 5 month old having a moment :D oh and a teacher too!!:D

9/11, I was in 2nd year in secondary school. I remember my dad picking us up from school and telling us. We watched it all unfold on the TV. Was such a shocking moment. Felt like time stood still.

gidget wrote: »
    Oh and I got laid off from my job a month later, due to business taking a nose dive due to people being afraid to travel.

The travel industry took a long long time to recover from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I was on holidays at the time. Switched on the news and mum came in to the room and asked what film had I on? Had to ring the grandparents and assure them we were not in the US.

I was in work on Merrion Square, shared a room in our office with 3 others and we had the news on through radio on the PC's. The whole firm ended up in the meeting room watching the news unfold on tv though. We ended up staying there until it was time to leave for the day.
    My boss at the time had her son living in NY and worked next to the WTC, she was going out of her mind trying to contact him. She eventually got him on the phone at about 10pm...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    I wouldn't be prepared to take the paycut and go back on a starter teachers salary. It's shocking pay for the important work they do.
    In terms of being a tough and demanding job, with a lack of resources and way too many kids crammed into classes, I do understand that.
    The starting salary is more than a lot of people, and a lot of my colleagues, are on! We were only laughing today at how they won't get any sympathy from a lot of folks... pay-wise at least. :pac:
    The creche workers today who were protesting are on an average of a tenner an hour, now I have sympathy with them money wise!

I was in college for 9/11, but had that day off. When I first heard what had happened, I just thought it was an accident, like a light aircraft or something had hit the building. I figured it must happen all the time in places with such tall buildings. :pac:
    I had Sky News on in the background, and at some stage looked up and the breaking news had changed to TWO planes have hit BOTH towers of the World Trade Centre. I thought 'wtf?!' turned the volume up and the rest is history as they say.

My family got our first ever widescreen TV (remember the huge things, weighed about 5 stone!) on September 10th 2001, so the first day of the big telly was spent with us all glued to it!
    I actually had bad dreams for a good while afterwards after seeing the people falling/jumping from the towers. Literally the stuff nightmares are made of. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

SarahLil wrote: »
    Just sent pm :)

Oh guys if anyone has children with breathing problems or can't shake off the sickness the salt caves have separate areas for children where they can play or watch tv getting all the benefits

I'll definitely be booking in later this year so I am not sick for Christmas 2020
    I told himself to get me vouchers for it :D

Hi Sarahlil, could you please pm some info on this as my OH is suffering badly with asthma this last couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was in work. My housemate was a journalist and rang me after the first plane hit, told me to find a TV. Tried to get on to the news websites but everything had crashed. Management were away at a conference so we went and turned the TV on in the conference room just before the second plane hit. The entire office spent the afternoon glued to the TV in tears.

One of my strongest memories was being on the bus home that evening, stopped on Dawson Street. Some of the big insurance companies had offices with TVs in the windows. There were people walking happily down the street but watching them see the TV and realise what happened was like slow motion. Happiness to horror in seconds. Like something from a film happening in front of me.

• Advertisement

Not having a go at the holidays, not your decision I agree. I have seriously thought about becoming a teacher when the rat race gets to me and it may become a reality in a few years. I miss job security, I am sure I'd miss current aspects of my work but with a family job security is big for me. So I am considering trying to get a job in the public sector. My wife is a teacher whom I meet whilst she was on a fantastic career break. I think its a very important job and would also give me summers to sail and Christmas off each year! I echo LoughC that sometimes there is a lot of work brought home, same as most jobs I guess, as I help out with it.

I was in a greasy spoon cafe as, I was labouring for the summer to pay for school, and Sky was on in the background. When the second plane hit I thought it was replay, also thought 'what had driven them to do that'. Changed my viewing of home alone 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement