Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

All over tomorrow so. Kinda normal service resumes, or no one gives a hoot anymore and are knackered and too full!

Ahh no, it'll roll on here for the week, until we're in the new year anyway.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All over tomorrow so. Kinda normal service resumes, or no one gives a hoot anymore and are knackered and too full!

That's awful.

Baby we’re just getting started ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nice. I’m in the same boat. We have a few lazy tv days planned soon. So they’ll be used for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I haven't eaten as much as other years. I wasn't fit for dessert on Christmas Day and couldn't finish St Stephen's dinner either. Had a slice of cake last night and it was pretty much just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I haven't eaten as much as other years. I wasn't fit for dessert on Christmas Day and couldn't finish St Stephen's dinner either. Had a slice of cake last night and it was pretty much just for the sake of it.

I’ve cut down a lot too. I think it’s natural as one gets a bit older. I’m mid 30s and I simply cannot eat the amount of food at Christmas that I used to. My stomach gets angry if I do. :P And it just gets harder to shift the weight if you overindulge. I’m glad I took advantage of my teens and early 20s in this regard! :pac:

2119nhh.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The concept of Wednesday/Thursday etc just doesn't exist this time of year!

I love Christmas but I felt like it was rushed through this year. I suppose the negativity of others impacted on me too. Thinking I should book myself a break away from everyone next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Finished work! Back Jan 2 for 1.5 days

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I love Christmas but I felt like it was rushed through this year. I suppose the negativity of others impacted on me too. Thinking I should book myself a break away from everyone next year.
    There are a few people I work with who are very negative (just generally!) and people at work moaning about Christmas 'It's too early' 'Ugh who turned on Christmas FM' etc got on my nerves this year. We were also very shortstaffed lately, which didn't help matters.

Hopefully next year I'll have some more elves on my team, to help with the Christmas spirit in the workplace.

Today, I'm in my pyjamas watching 'Taskmaster Champion of Champions' and working my way through a box of Raffaello. The negative nellies can't take that away from me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Posy wrote: »
    The concept of Wednesday/Thursday etc just doesn't exist this time of year!

Haha yeah. One of the best parts of the Christmas for me. Everyone is just chilled out :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

iguana wrote: »
    I heard it featured a cover of Fairytale of New York. That sounds even worse than Ronan Keating's cover.

You "heard". Rrrriiiiiiight....
    Come on, admit it. You watched it, didn't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Haha, Loghc and Posy, you're spot on!

I had to ask three times today already what day it was?!
    And about, 10,000 times yesterday.
    It's so true though, here's to the non-existant concept of weekdays at Christmas!

The cats are in heat around here. Will be switching up the Christmas music to block them out !!

Was leaving the parents house earlier packing up the car while two other people on the street were doing the same thing.

It’s funny and lovely that everyone visits family at Christmas and we always end up bringing home more stuff we brought down with us!! It’s like the bag and treats multiply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Had to get out today, while it was lovely having some time in the house cabin fever had set in big time! Went for a walk on the beach with the kids and then out for a run when we got back as I needed some kid free time, well some sick kid free time

Brought the kids to the zoo this morning to alleviate the cabin fever. Lovely weather and the place was absolutely deserted. Ideal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

As I was back in work today, is it too early to take down the Xmas decs? I’m bored of them

As I was back in work today, is it too early to take down the Xmas decs? I’m bored of them

I'd be the same if I was back in work.
    I'm back in the 3rd and will be keen to rip them down that evening.

• Advertisement

I'm in work tomorrow, but will have my decorations up until the traditional January 6th. This is only the 3rd day of Christmas, after all. :)

Each to their own, though!

Posy wrote: »
    I'm in work tomorrow, but will have my decorations up until the traditional January 6th. This is only the 3rd day of Christmas, after all. :)

Each to their own, though!

I’m not back in until the 2nd but mine are also staying up until the 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm thinking of taking mine down tomorrow. The little fella got two large items and I'd like him to be able to play with them in the sitting room. But one of his play corners is being taken up by a tree with lights that now don't work! Usually leave it up for a long as possible but I'm not feeling the tree love this year. It is much smaller than usual. We got it when I was overdue 3 years ago and couldn't face decorating a nice size tree.

Saying that, I just had my best Christmas ever. Stayed home for the big day and had a fab fab day. Big dinner. Short walk with the family. Laziness for the evening with sambos, cake, toys and films. Then yesterday we packed up and went to my parents to repeat.

The only glitch was when my husband twice declared Stephens day dinner (not cooked by me) as better than the Christmas dinner (cooked by me). I wouldn't mind if it slipped out or was said in passing but he said it then to drive the point home said it again. Easily solved, I'm just not doing Christmas dinner next year. Simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

6th for us too, couldn’t do it any earlier. Great that it’s a weekend so we can give the place a good clean and dust. I hate how bare it is though once the decorations are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We always leave everything up until the 6th and on the 7th we take down the window stuff and icicles. We then take everything down over the next few days in phase and dust/put thing away carefully. It makes it a lot easier when putting things up again. We never had had to deal with tangled lights. We light the tree a few days after the 6th in the evening when the curtains are closed. When I was a kid it used always get me through school knowing I'd be able to light the tree when I go home and I'm still the same now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I hate how bare it is though once the decorations are down.

I'm the opposite. I love my decorations but I have so many that I do really enjoy the fresh, clean, enormous feel of my house when they are put away. After 6 weeks of having them up the whole place feels so new without them. It's bittersweet as it's sad but also really whole and renewed. I have big plans for a hygge style Jan/Feb. I'm going to get lots of winter bouquets, more candles than usual, light huge fires, keep the place tidy and enjoy lots of nice food at home. I'm going to experiment with traditional festive winter foods that I don't associate with Christmas like fondue and make a point of inviting friends to eat with us at least every couple of weeks. From now on I'm determined to make the back end of winter just as lovely as November and December, though in the opposite way and have a focus on chilling and cosiness rather than excitement and sparkle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That sounds lovely iguana. I do have a mountain of candles so they will be burned as I don’t want to be storing anything that’s not necessary. I have a fresh garland on my mantelpiece so I might rearrange that too. I had to google hygge but know that I know what it is I like the sound of it :)

When I was a kid it used always get me through school knowing I'd be able to light the tree when I go home and I'm still the same now.

Yep same. Even now it makes going back to work more bare able knowing I get to go home to the glow of the tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,758 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This time last week I was up wrapping my presents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Loughc wrote: »
    Yep same. Even now it makes going back to work more bare able knowing I get to go home to the glow of the tree.

Yes for me it's all about the lights.

Iguana I love the idea. There is a candle in penneys at the moment called hygge and the smell is beautiful. I went back for a few more after trying the first.

I read the word is pronounced hoo-geh but in my head it is higgy. We now say "gettin' higgy with it" al la Will Smith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement