Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I was in fifth year in secondary school. I remember coming home from school and my dad telling me and being in disbelief. We spent the rest of the evening glued to the telly. It was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The 11th September 2001 was the day of my debs. I was down town with my best friend getting some final bits and pieces and saw it on the tv's in the shopping centre. I remember sitting on the wall outside my house with her talking about it. But we were so busy that day we just didn't have time to take it all in.

It's sad how every generation nearly has a defining moment like that that they'll always remember. VE day, JFK, moon landings, berlin wall, Chernobyl, twin towers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    The 11th September 2001 was the day of my debs. I was down town with my best friend getting some final bits and pieces and saw it on the tv's in the shopping centre. I remember sitting on the wall outside my house with her talking about it. But we were so busy that day we just didn't have time to take it all in.

It's sad how every generation nearly has a defining moment like that that they'll always remember. VE day, JFK, moon landings, berlin wall, Chernobyl, twin towers.

To be fair the last 3 all happened within a relatively short amount of time. I'd actually argue Chernobyl was a far bigger event, the main difference being the media coverage of both events being the difference in the way people compare the two. Chernobyl had the potential (& still does) to kill 100,000's of people and the problem still persists to this day with ongoing projects being developed to insulate us from the catastrophic damage to the environent that could still happen. I suppose it boils down to one being an act of terrorism carried out with deliberation, the other being an accident through human error, incompetence and arrogance.

p.s. Not a very Christmassy read this thread ATM..
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, it's the off topic thread in February... we can talk about anything! :pac:

I'd actually love to visit the abandoned city of Pripyat where the Chernobyl workers lived. It looks fascinating and spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

I'd actually love to visit the abandoned city of Pripyat where the Chernobyl workers lived. It looks fascinating and spooky.

We can share a taxi so, would love to visit it as well.
    Remember seeing some fantastic online photo surveys of it & I found it fascinating.

I guy I used to work with went a few years ago & said it was a weird experience, couldn't quite describe how eerie it felt.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Finally.
    We have decided on a location for the Christmas forum meet-up. :D

Finally.
    We have decided on a location for the Christmas forum meet-up. :D

Might need some time to organise lead lined christmas jumpers though!!;)

Count me in - somewhere that I'd like to see too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm not one to post in here outside the festive period, but I have to tell you something. My friend was away in Thailand for 3 weeks. Sent me a pic yesterday and his tree was still up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Count me in - somewhere that I'd like to see too.

And me! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads what a week that’s been. All work and no play makes loughc..... a sad elf :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There, there, LoughC. *gently pats LoughC on the head*

Do you need me to sing you "Soft Kitty"?

New Home wrote: »
    There, there, LoughC. *gently pats LoughC on the head*

Do you need me to sing you "Soft Kitty"?

Finally!! :D

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah lads what a week that’s been. All work and no play makes loughc..... a sad elf :(

Know the feeling. Just under 60 hours this week as I had a tender to get out by 4pm today... am shattered. Another week just like it to come too... roll on the kids midterm and a few days off.

Tell you what, the 6 nations is always a welcome sign spring is here and summers on the way. What a great tournament... win or lose the passion it generates is fantastic.

DvB wrote: »
    Tell you what, the 6 nations is always a welcome sign spring is here and summers on the way. What a great tournament... win or lose the passion it generates is fantastic.

And I’m loving the results the way it’s going so far. It’s a great tournament and always a good day out. Yes Im pub drunk now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I hear that, had a mental week last week which spilled in to late Thursday night due to a Client's whim, so very little sleep or weekend.

That lego village posted on the last page is unreal. Took me a moment to realise the 'slopes' were just white bricks.

Had a dream last night that I had bought and wrapped all of my Christmas 2020 presents. Man it felt good to be that organised. Even if it was just a dream.

Also a random thought but why is Christmas pronounced more like Chris-Miss than Christ-Mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Damn you, I have said it both ways too many times and now neither makes sense.

Also a random thought but why is Christmas pronounced more like Chris-Miss than Christ-Mass?

Said it a few times there and my trend seems to be chriss-miss

Why is the 14th February called Valentine's Day and 17th March Patrick's Day, but the 26th December is Stephenss'ss Day?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Accents?
    Why is the 14th February called Valentine's Day and 17th March Patrick's Day, but the 26th December is Stephenss'ss Day?

'cause you're weird. :P:D:pac:

And it's Patty's Day. :D:D:D

*runs away before getting bludgeoned to death*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Had a dream last night that I had bought and wrapped all of my Christmas 2020 presents. Man it felt good to be that organised. Even if it was just a dream.

Good to be organised but wrapped presents this early would drive me mad because it would be long to wait to give them to people :)

Also, threw out the last empty box of Quality Street yesterday so the only Christmas things floating about are a few ornaments and mugs in the press.

Hope everyone is ok with these high winds.

Hope everyone is ok with these high winds.
    My road had flash flooding this morning- both sets of neighbours had their cars ruined.

My road had flash flooding this morning- both sets of neighbours had their cars ruined.

Good bit of flooding around here too. Shocking day out there. Be safe everyone if ye have to travel.

Good bit of flooding around here too. Shocking day out there. Be safe everyone if ye have to travel.

We had to go up to Gormanston (just beyond balbriggan) this afternoon, other than some light showers weather was surprisingly okay. Its meant to get really cold tonight though so the roads could be fun in the morning.

Yes DVB double decker. That’s a great choice!

• Advertisement

Driving the kids to creche this morning & suddenly realised that the "muck" I was driving through was actually a small bit of slush. It better not snow!

In other news, my 2 year old has started saying "I'll keep it for Christmas". For example, he didn't want to finish his breakfast this morning, so he said "I just want to keep it for Christmas". I often wonder what goes through their little heads :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement