Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I’m off Tuesday and Wednesday next week so short week for me too :)

And then onto a 4 day weekend for Paddy’s day. :)

Same, taking the monday 16th off to make it a nice little 4 day break.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Same, taking the monday 16th off to make it a nice little 4 day break.

I think most of the country will be :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just had a thunder hailstorm here in D13 so random. The weather is just mad lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah, wanted to get out and hoover the car today but that's not going to happen.

Must be the cold windy weather but I'm missing the Christmas cooking shows lately, when it's wintery you crave hot comfort food :)

Yeah, wanted to get out and hoover the car today but that's not going to happen.

Must be the cold windy weather but I'm missing the Christmas cooking shows lately, when it's wintery you crave hot comfort food :)

Craving a few pints myself if I'm honest LOL.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Random thing popped into my head What non Christmassy smell reminds you of Christmas?

There’s two for me the smell of fresh paint as my parents would always be doing touch ups and that before Christmas.

And 2 stuffing. Goes without saying. :)

I just did a touch up to a bannister and the smell immediately brought me back to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Dusty cardboard from the boxes my folks used to store the decorations. A very small joy is that brief memory as I stand inside a just opened porta cabin full of cardboard boxes, in some desert, which my team need to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Random thing popped into my head What non Christmassy smell reminds you of Christmas?

There’s two for me the smell of fresh paint as my parents would always be doing touch ups and that before Christmas.

And 2 stuffing. Goes without saying. :)

I just did a touch up to a bannister and the smell immediately brought me back to Christmas.

Burning logs- we only really light the fire around Christmas time for some reason, even when its cold other times of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I make a red onion, red wine and redcurrant jelly sauce, that sets almost chutney like. Got the recipe in a barbecue cook book but it's excellent with every meat. Smells like Christmas when it's reducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Caranica wrote: »
    I make a red onion, red wine and redcurrant jelly sauce, that sets almost chutney like. Got the recipe in a barbecue cook book but it's excellent with every meat. Smells like Christmas when it's reducing.

This just made me realise that I missed a trick for lunch today and should have brought a leftover chicken and cranberry sauce sambo with me to the office. Instead I took a yogurt :( Devo!

• Advertisement

Ok, going to have a rant here and I know it's something we talk about every year.

But Easter is still 8 weeks away, almost two months, and already there is eggs and other Easter products starting to pop up all over the place and are the Bah Humbugs giving out all over the place? Saying it's too early?
    Are they hell!

Now I have nothing against celebrations and I certainly love getting a bank holiday so not attacking Easter or Halloween for that matter but how come they get a free pass from the vitriol that we get when we have the cheek to mention Christmas before Dec the 1st?

Easter and Halloween are small potatoes compared to Christmas as far as I'm concerned but woo betide you mention the C word too early in front of some people.

Thanks, rant over

p.s Happy Christmas everyone :)

There was actually Easter eggs on sale since st.stephens day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There was actually Easter eggs on sale since st.stephens day.

I think I saw them before it!

I want a easter egg now. I still haven't followed through with my childhood dream of using half an easter egg as a bowl and filling it with chocolate milk and cocopops. I know now as a adult that it just will not taste as good as I think it will.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I want a easter egg now. I still haven't followed through with my childhood dream of using half an easter egg as a bowl and filling it with chocolate milk and cocopops. I know now as a adult that it just will not taste as good as I think it will.

I'm getting diabetes just reading this post:D
    A few things are going through my head here, if the milk is cold then the chocolate bowl won't make any difference. If the milk is warm then you might get the extra chocolate effect.
    But if the milk is too warm? :confused::)

You eat the bowl after! Allowances would have to be made for the wonkyness of the bowl of course. Ah the dream of kids.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If the chocolate shell gets soft enough you can stick a bendy-twisty kind of crazy straw in it and drink the milk through it!! Can you imagine??

You’ll need one of these Jude :)

Xbl0kZY.png?1

^^if you posted a pic I cannot see it for some reason.

^^if you posted a pic I cannot see it for some reason.

Oh, I can see it!

Anyone else??
    it is a chocolate spoon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I can see it :)

It's most likely a work issue. We have a strict policy here. Damn easter eggs/chocolate on my mind and I am trying to be good. Day 3 of my return to training.

Damn easter eggs/chocolate on my mind and I am trying to be good. Day 3 of my return to training.

I wouldn't go out of my way to try and see the picture then :D

I'm so over this weather. Really hoping that March might bring some sunny spring days. We have daffodils and some crocuses and snowdrops sticking their heads out of the ground but no flowers yet - think they need some sun to bring them to life. Think I need some sun to bring me to life lol!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm so over this weather. Really hoping that March might bring some sunny spring days. We have daffodils and some crocuses and snowdrops sticking their heads out of the ground but no flowers yet - think they need some sun to bring them to life. Think I need some sun to bring me to life lol!

Same. It’s just dreadful. I spend most evenings now looking for a gap in the rain to bring the doggo out for a walk.

Yeah I just said that to Mr. CL the other night - it's grand seeing the stretch in the evenings but I'm so ready for it to be weather we can actually go out in. It feels like at the minute we just collect the kids, do homework, have dinner & then it's bedtime. I miss being able to do something outdoors with the kids after work.

It feels like at the minute we just collect the kids, do homework, have dinner & then it's bedtime. I miss being able to do something outdoors with the kids after work.

I know that feeling. Like groundhog day the last couple of weeks :( Next few days don't look any better either!

Try being out on site in it guys, trust me when I say its miserable. February has been a dreary miserable month, way worse than January IMO. My mood hasnt been helped by my planned night out on Saturday being postponed because our babysitter cancelled either... roll on March, the clocks going forward & hopefully some brighter sunnier weather.

Ugh, hope you have your flask with you, DVB and dry clothes in the car!

• Advertisement

Ugh, hope you have your flask with you, DVB and dry clothes in the car!

Thankfully not all the inspections are outdoors, but walking around a new 'unheated' large building at this time of year is no fun either.

Our roof inspections were no fun this week though, whatever about the wind at ground level, go up 17/18 metres & its a lot worse!! Thank santa ;) for fall arrest systems or there's no way I'd have went up some of those ladders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement