Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Try being out on site in it guys, trust me when I say its miserable. February has been a dreary miserable month, way worse than January IMO. My mood hasnt been helped by my planned night out on Saturday being postponed because our babysitter cancelled either... roll on March, the clocks going forward & hopefully some brighter sunnier weather.

It's days like these that I'm glad I work in an office. Now ask me again on a sunny summers days and I'll be cursing it. Swings and roundabouts as they say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    It's days like these that I'm glad I work in an office. Now ask me again on a sunny summers days and I'll be cursing it. Swings and roundabouts as they say :)

Sods law will have me stuck in the office with no projects on site when/if the good weather arrives... its always the way!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Was looking through the Christmas forum at lunch and see there is 81 pages of threads, going back to 2007. We are 12 years old :)

Was looking for anyone who is still posting and first two I came across was Posy & Totowolfcastle.

So my question is when (year) did you start posting regularly in here?

Was looking through the Christmas forum at lunch and see there is 81 pages of threads, going back to 2007. We are 12 years old :)

Was looking for anyone who is still posting and first two I came across was Posy & Totowolfcastle.

My first post in here was 19/11/14 though it was nearly a year before I posted again. I was a lurker for a good bit & then started posting regularly about 3, 3 and a half years ago.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »
    Same. It’s just dreadful. I spend most evenings now looking for a gap in the rain to bring the doggo out for a walk.

^^ my life!!!

I was watching the good doctor yesterday. The episode was set during Christmas. Even though it's only a couple of months ago, I felt myself getting all giddy and excited at the thought of it. This dull, wet crappy weather is only acceptable with Christmas on the horizon. This side of Christmas and it's a bloody nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My first post was 06-12-2012, have been in and out since, sometimes more than others, usually depends on how busy work is.

My first post in here was 19/11/14 though it was nearly a year before I posted again. I was a lurker for a good bit & then started posting regularly about 3, 3 and a half years ago.

Mine was 29/05/18 however had been lurking for good while before then. Still don't know why it took me so long to get involved!

kitten_k wrote: »
    My first post was 06-12-2012, have been in and out since, sometimes more than others, usually depends on how busy work is.

An old timer :D

I'm just a blow in!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

November 2012 was my first post in the Christmas forum :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Mine was October 2017 :) Think I'd just gone back to work after having our second baby & happened upon the forum :)

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Mine was October 2017 :) Think I'd just gone back to work after having our second baby & happened upon the forum :)

I found it by pure chance, saw it referenced in a post on the front page on boards and down that wormhole went I. Wasnt even aware it existed. My first couple of posts were responses to front page posts and I'd never been aware at the time that a whole forum was there to explore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My first post in the Christmas forum was 11/10/10. Celebrating 10 years of posts this year :pac:

Really interesting to see when everyone came on board the hohoho train.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I found it by pure chance, saw it referenced in a post on the front page on boards and down that wormhole went I. Wasnt even aware it existed. My first couple of posts were responses to front page posts and I'd never been aware at the time that a whole forum was there to explore.

You know what I just stumbled across the Christmas forum too my mind was blown that I wasn’t the only one who loved Christmas so much and I’ve essentially have been spamming the forum since :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My first post in the Christmas forum was 3rd July 2011. I genuinely did not think it was that long ago - just shows hoe time flies when you’re having fun :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My first post in this forum was 13th December 2012, I don't remember what drew me in originally!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I lurked around the forum around 2009, and my first post was on 03-01-2010.

EDIT: Way way back in the day, the plan was actually for the forum to be locked outside of season, so people couldn't post during the year. Mad! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 300's!

Posy wrote: »
    EDIT: Way way back in the day, the plan was actually for the forum to be locked outside of season, so people couldn't post during the year. Mad! :pac:

I still remember that. Shudder. They literally use to box up the Christmas forum and put it back up into the attic.

Then one year someone I actually can’t remember who started a countdown right after Christmas and the thread got locked. Then an uprising started a few more threads started and locked and then the mod at the time was like hey if people want to countdown to Christmas and chat about the upcoming Christmas in January let them.

I think they thought it would die off and go back to seasonal but that never happened :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

7 years and three months ago I posted on the Christmas Eve tradition thread though I was a lurker prior to that.

I still remember that. Shudder. They literally use to box up the Christmas forum and put it back up into the attic.

They one year someone I actually can’t remember who started a countdown right after Christmas and the thread got locked. Then an uprising started a few more threads started and locked and then the mod at the time was like hey if people want to countdown to Christmas and chat about the upcoming Christmas in January let them.

I think they thought it would die off and go back to seasonal but that never happened :D

Wow, really interesting back story! Love to hear stuff like that.

As things have quietened down a bit I started to look at threads that I had never really noticed before. Will probably go back through old threads and read any that stick out.

Any particular threads from yesteryear that you remember fondly that would be worth a read??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Without this forum I would not be on boards. Thanks again to all the Mods sticking up for Christmas, having a chilled out forum which accepts weirdo's like us who talk about real v fake tress in February without falling out. Also without it getting railroaded in to a 'holidays' or 'what about X holiday in December'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Wow, really interesting back story! Love to hear stuff like that.

As things have quietened down a bit I started to look at threads that I had never really noticed before. Will probably go back through old threads and read any that stick out.

Any particular threads from yesteryear that you remember fondly that would be worth a read??

Have you read the one where one of the posters got tickets to the toy show?

They one year someone I actually can’t remember who started a countdown right after Christmas and the thread got locked. Then an uprising started a few more threads started and locked and then the mod at the time was like hey if people want to countdown to Christmas and chat about the upcoming Christmas in January let them.

And look at us now... I honestly reckon I'd have deleted my boards account if it wasnt for this forum. I spend 99% of my boards time in here & when theres no posts have a look in about 3 or 4 others, mostly football, american football & after hours... but my post count in here is a giveaway.

I've done that a few times. Usually on a day when I'm WFH & don't have a million calls & emails to reply to. I've found it can really give you a sense of excitement about the coming build up (remember its never more than a few months away :D)

Love going through the old adverts threads myself... I just get drawn to those ones with them being my personal favourite's in the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think my first post was in Christmas retro, about 4 years ago but have to check. I started following the forum about 2 years ago and love the atmosphere. I'm not a huge poster but read all the time. I follow about 10 fora on boards but this is the only one that feels like a community and a safe place.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Have you read the one where one of the posters got tickets to the toy show?

Not yet. Sounds like a lunch time search and read mission :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It’s been a tough week, two weeks! Thinking of planning something nice for Rudolph day. Any suggestions?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    It’s been a tough week, two weeks! Thinking of planning something nice for Rudolph day. Any suggestions?

Well don't know about anyone else but I'll be having birthday cake!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

27 September 2010 was my first post here. Have enjoyed every moment on it since.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »

Treat yourself to your favourite Christmas desert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement