Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Home Alone is on at 18:50 on E4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The Royle Family Christmas special is on now 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Finally managed to get out in some good weather yesterday. Think everyone else had the same idea, all walking places packed out our way however great to get out and get some fresh air, kids got out on their bikes as well.

Then back to reality this morning, rain, wind, floods, heavy traffic :(:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Then back to reality this morning, rain, wind, floods, heavy traffic :(:(

Yep. Same, roads are flooded, and last night the rain that feel, literally kept waking me. Lovely stuff altogether!

When is it going to get better lads? When! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ditto, our road was flooded this morning, had to go the long way round and it was holding a lot of water too. Just looking out the window now & can see the wind blowing the rain sideways :( Hope it stops later on as I've a hospital appointment and will get drowned walking over to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is the last week in the 300's!! :)

Loughc wrote: »
    This is the last week in the 300's!! :)

This is the kind of positivity I need on a wet Monday :)

Will be in double figures before we know it :D

87964737_3166312830059464_4250305361313005568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=a61e81&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=irLxHU3F_eYAX_E92sY&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=d83f14d15e7368be0211330405c7ab44&oe=5EFFFA31

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Ditto, our road was flooded this morning, had to go the long way round and it was holding a lot of water too.
    Hope all your houses and cars were okay. :(

Can't wait for a nice dry spell! I've forgotten what the sun looks like!

Posy wrote: »
    Can't wait for a nice dry spell! I've forgotten what the sun looks like!

I know, we get the odd fleeting bit here and there however a few continuous day with no rain would be a start!

• Advertisement

27972437_10156039960923340_8496054953781637074_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=a61e81&_nc_eui2=AeG_73vkAL8l2CF4hDRuhUiXBtkY8IX4tPYcyCJZFut39nUkg8jbBEpCDCHn9Bia3JiAsvAec7oFngFbMMRi8rY5B_4mSmZMV6NbX_lrMeMNzQ&_nc_ohc=jtlwBvp1fmMAX_e33x9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=287e16a5648fa6c7f7c7feb6e4162df2&oe=5EEEF155

Just going through the old chat thread (slow news day in work :P ) we had that reached 10,000 posts and I noticed a couple of things, we used to go days/weeks without posting! :O I honestly feel like how was there ever a time when I wasn't dropping in to say hello.

I vividly remember the excitement when you'd have a notification that someone posted in the Christmas Forum, back in the days when out of season posting wasn't too often. Now I'm disappointed if there isn't double figures posting each day! :P

And then I noticed so many former posters, and I wondered where are they now. The first 2 I checked, one hasn't been online since 2018 and another hasn't been online since.... 25/12/15, Christmas Day :( Christmas Day. Both accounts are still open just no longer active.

I always wonder/worry how people just stop posting when there was no hint they were ever going to log off one day and never log back on. It's such a strange thing.

Just going through the old chat thread (slow news day in work :P ) we had that reached 10,000 posts and I noticed a couple of things, we used to go days/weeks without posting! :O I honestly feel like how was there ever a time when I wasn't dropping in to say hello.

I vividly remember the excitement when you'd have a notification that someone posted in the Christmas Forum, back in the days when out of season posting wasn't too often. Now I'm disappointed if there isn't double figures posting each day! :P

And then I noticed so many former posters, and I wondered where are they now. The first 2 I checked, one hasn't been online since 2018 and another hasn't been online since.... 25/12/15, Christmas Day :( Christmas Day. Both accounts are still open just no longer active.

I always wonder/worry how people just stop posting when there was no hint they were ever going to log off one day and never log back on. It's such a strange thing.

Some interesting observations Loughc.

It's great to hear that the forum is getting bigger/more popular. In my experience when people are into/like something that is not the norm per se they tend to be really into it and like to discuss/share things with like minded people so are more likely to post.

Also I feel it's like a little community in here, you drop in to say hi and chat about general day to day things and just see what everyone is up to.

In relation to your last point, you just never know what people have going in their lives and things can change so suddenly with little or no warning. I use to post a few bit on another Irish website and then had a bad experience with another poster that totally put me off and haven't even logged back on let alone posted, pretty sure my account there is still active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

87964737_3166312830059464_4250305361313005568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=a61e81&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=irLxHU3F_eYAX_E92sY&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=d83f14d15e7368be0211330405c7ab44&oe=5EFFFA31

Oh yes. I would find the covers and use them as crowns for my Barbie s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Looking forward to being lighter for Christmas 2020. 6 weeks of Lent is a great start to cut out unnecessary foods, snacks and no alcohol now until Easter Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

There is an obvious (but sad) answer, people do die also, If one of the regulars hear for example had a horrible accident on their way home from work in reality its unlikely any of us would know so to us it would appear as if they just stopped posting.

I remember when I started posting more frequently 4 or 5 years ago though how often there were 'dry' spells with little or no posting & must say I much prefer the way we are now with regular posters & posts, for example logging on this afternoon & seeing 6 or 7 active threads gave me a little buzz of sorts!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    There is an obvious (but sad) answer, people do die also, If one of the regulars hear for example had a horrible accident on their way home from work in reality its unlikely any of us would know so to us it would appear as if they just stopped posting.

Yeah that was my fears initially :(

Sad thought really. We really do take life for granted it's so short. I like to think of a happier conclusion that they just found a happier place than here :)

If anyone does ever want to take a step away from boards please let us know so we don't think you're dead! :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

If anyone does ever want to take a step away from boards please let us know so we don't think you're dead! :-/

I've started my maternity leave unexpectedly early so will be online less often! I'll still pop by from time to time, I just don't like boards on my phone & try to limit my phone usage around the kiddos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm the opposite, finished work earlier than expected so have a few weeks leave and then taking some time out so expect I'll have more time than usual!

I've started my maternity leave unexpectedly early so will be online less often! I'll still pop by from time to time, I just don't like boards on my phone & try to limit my phone usage around the kiddos :)

All the best with the upcoming new arrival. :)

Mind yourself and try to get as much rest as you can before your due date.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, finished work earlier than expected so have a few weeks leave and then taking some time out so expect I'll have more time than usual!

Excellent :) I loves the company :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good luck with the new arrival, CheerLouth! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Good luck with the new elf CheerLouth. I have taken breaks just to stop procrastinating. I will be more Christmas week this year as I will be working it.

All the best CL, get as much rest as you can. Three is lots of fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Best of luck CL and Caranica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yeah guys, all the best & enjoy the rest while you can!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

kitten_k wrote: »
    Best of luck CL and Caranica

Sorry Caranica, meant to include you as well, best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ooopps, just realised how my post read. I'm on leave to use my outstanding leave before redundancy :D No elves here, sorry. Blame the celebratory prosecco last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Caranica wrote: »
    Ooopps, just realised how my post read. I'm on leave to use my outstanding leave before redundancy :D No elves here, sorry. Blame the celebratory prosecco last night!

Lol - well I still hope you enjoy the leave!

• Advertisement

Three storms in one month, had to be some kind of record!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement