Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    One of the downsides of having a work laptop, I'd be expected to still work while self isolating!

Same, I still rather WFH though!

Although your job couldn't expect you to work if you were sick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just moved some posts from the TV Thread to here as it's more chat related.

So Coronavirus... discuss. Anyone concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Just moved some posts from the TV Thread to here as it's more chat related.

So Coronavirus... discuss. Anyone concerned?

I flip flop from being concerned to not worrying about it at all. Obviously having a confirmed case close to home rises the concern levels. Then this morning someone in work said that the kid who'd school is closed was in Swords at the weekend at a family birthday. That is very close to us so a bit more concerned then I was, also Elf one has history of respiratory issues and is currently on an inhaler.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Then this morning someone in work said that the kid who'd school is closed was in Swords at the weekend at a family birthday

I imagine that didn't happen and your work colleague became a victim of a Chinese whisper. People need to remember that, that school only has one confirmed case and that student has been in hospital since Friday so he is now contained.

There will likely be a case or two extra from that school but I can't imagine too many others.

Personally I think it's social media/scaremongers going into hyperdrive. If you keep washing hands,etc you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I work with many nationalities and travel quite frequently so I am hearing many rumors. I am concerned in so far as I have a young child and how that would affect it should I get the virus, though with flying, and driving in this region I am sure the odds are scarier for those activities than getting the virus. I have seen a couple of force majeure filings by some firms citing supply chain issues from China so that's my main concern.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have seen a couple of force majeure filings by some firms citing supply chain issues from China so that's my main concern.

Yes we are having similar issues, stock shortages, delay in getting stock from China, etc, going to damage our profits and sales for the year. Real risk of going into a global recession if this continues to escalates.

I imagine that didn't happen and your work colleague became a victim of a Chinese whisper. People need to remember that, that school only has one confirmed case and that student has been in hospital since Friday so he is now contained.

There will likely be a case or two extra from that school but I can't imagine too many others.

Personally I think it's social media/scaremongers going into hyperdrive. If you keep washing hands,etc you'll be fine.

I half suspected this so not going too over board on the concern levels. Hopefully we wouldn't see an outbreak like northern Italy and as you said the majority people follow the guidance and will be few cases here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

. Real risk of going into a global recession if this continues to escalates.

I'd wager this is 50:50 at the moment.

If the panic I'm hearing from loads of people I'd consider to normally be well grounded is anything to go by this is going to force action at government levels just to stop the panic moreso than the virus itself.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

The airlines are already muting that as of this week, if there was no additional loss of revenue it would take until Christmas break even. Staff being put on enforced leave so any leave/holidays this summer or Christmas are out the window.

The airlines are already muting that as of this week, if there was no additional loss of revenue it would take until Christmas break even. Staff being put on enforced leave so any leave/holidays this summer or Christmas are out the window.

That's actually shocking...

Schools teaching English to foreign students are set to lose €8million as well as travel plans are all being cancelled at the moment.

I am willing to fly to the State for €100 each way if that helps the travel industry! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm due to go to Northern Italy in just under 3 weeks and I'm not at all worried. I'm younger than the high risk groups and don't have health issues. Flight and hotel are non refundable and I've been looking forward to this trip for years.

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm due to go to Northern Italy in just under 3 weeks and I'm not at all worried. I'm younger than the high risk groups and don't have health issues. Flight and hotel are non refundable and I've been looking forward to this trip for years.

Again plenty of hand sanitzer gel and washing of hands and you'll be grand. Enjoy your trip! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,861 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just flagging that you may have to self-isolate on your return - if you have at risk relations or if you have an employer and they deem you a risk.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Was out for dinner on Friday night with parents of daughters class. Ended up sitting beside a guy who works in Aer Lingus management. Said they are already running into trouble and had a weekend ahead of meetings with bankers etc. Said they are one of the best positioned airline finance wise and other will be seriously struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We have our summer holidays in July booked & paid for in full, if the airlines are still flying we'll be going, we'll add some hand sanitiser to the lugagge and bring some more with us in our carry on but theres no way I'll be cancelling it, someone else will need to do that for us to not go.

We have travel insurance but i dont think its been clarified if flights are cancelled etc if they'll pay out or not, act of god & all that jazz. Hence, we'll be travelling unless the airlines are grounded and hotels are in lockdown in the canaries.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

See, my concern isn't as much for my own health (I'm healthy-ish and strongish and relatively young) as much as for that of those around me who are frail and/or seriously ill. If I catch it I could pass it on to them and they'd be in serious, serious, serious trouble, they would be at high risk of losing their lives.

Even among the younger people, think of those who have to deal with CF on a daily basis. Can you imagine what something like this would do to them if they caught it? I'm not saying that we should panic, but things should be taken more seriously than they've been, especially considering that infected people can be asymptomatic and still be contagious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Pun intended? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I understand this trip is important to you but although catching it might not harm you, you could infect many vulnerable people that it would harm. I would think twice.

New Home wrote: »
    See, my concern isn't as much for my own health (I'm healthish and strongish and relatively young) as much as for that of those around me who are frail and/or seriously ill. If I catch it I could pass it on to them and they'd be in serious, serious, serious trouble, they would be at high risk of losing their lives.

Even among the younger people, think of those who have to deal with CF on a daily basis. Can you imagine what something like this would do to them if they caught it? I'm not saying that we should panic, but things should be taken more seriously than they've been, especially considering that infected people can be asymptomatic and still be contagious.

Bingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Classic Coronation Street from 1994 is on now and the Christmas decorations are up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

False alarm!!!!

He's taking me to New York to see a Broadway show in Feb :o:o:o

Still over the moon with my present though :D:D:D

Extra false alarm....he proposed the night we saw the show :o

(side note: see it whenever it comes here, it's fab!!)

Congratulations!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bingo

Do I win a crown? :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Congrats Lolly!!

Congrats!! :D What show did you go and see?

Con'grats. Us guys can get it right the odd time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Congratulations Lollipops23!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congrats, Lolli! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Congratulations !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I’m a teacher . I don’t feel like hand hygiene is happening. Some classrooms would have on average 300 students /teachers/caretakers touching door handles and surfaces in a day. I don’t trust the kids to wash their hands properly at all. I’m Dettol wiping everything before I touch keyboards/tables. Hot water taps are not even hot. I’m worrying about the students with weakened immune systems. It’s not good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement