Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’m a teacher . I don’t feel like hand hygiene is happening. Some classrooms would have on average 300 students /teachers/caretakers touching door handles and surfaces in a day. I don’t trust the kids to wash their hands properly at all. I’m Dettol wiping everything before I touch keyboards/tables. Hot water taps are not even hot. I’m worrying about the students with weakened immune systems. It’s not good enough.

I remember back in about 2009 when we had swine flu everybody used be sneezing or trying to sneeze to have a squirt of the hand gel mainly annoy the teacher and to try and get high off the smell of it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Or they’d use the hand gel to soak each other. Then it would inevitably get in someone’s eyes !! And yes , this was in secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Loughc wrote: »
    Again plenty of hand sanitzer gel and washing of hands and you'll be grand. Enjoy your trip! :)

Thank you.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just flagging that you may have to self-isolate on your return - if you have at risk relations or if you have an employer and they deem you a risk.

I travel on the day I become redundant so no work issue and I plan to spend time at home on my return doing a lot of diy and decluttering so in effect I'll be self quarantining anyway.
    New Home wrote: »
    See, my concern isn't as much for my own health (I'm healthish and strongish and relatively young) as much as for that of those around me who are frail and/or seriously ill. If I catch it I could pass it on to them and they'd be in serious, serious, serious trouble, they would be at high risk of losing their lives.

Even among the younger people, think of those who have to deal with CF on a daily basis. Can you imagine what something like this would do to them if they caught it? I'm not saying that we should panic, but things should be taken more seriously than they've been, especially considering that infected people can be asymptomatic and still be contagious.

This is precisely why I get the flu vaccine and why I'll be staying out of public places on my return.
    I understand this trip is important to you but although catching it might not harm you, you could infect many vulnerable people that it would harm. I would think twice.

As above, I'll be taking care. It's possible to go and still take precautions when I get home.

Don't forget, this weekend will see hundreds if not thousands of Italians arriving in Dublin. The rugby may not be happening but not many people will forfeit travel costs already paid. It's much safer for them to come here anyway. The government has not limited incoming flights and 5,000 tickets went to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Congrats!! :D What show did you go and see?

Thanks everyone!

We saw Mean Girls- I'm obsessed with the movie, and the show is definitely as good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Schools here have been told to shut for four weeks, they are considering moving the mid-term. We have flights and accommodation booked ahhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Schools here have been told to shut for four weeks, they are considering moving the mid-term. We have flights and accommodation booked ahhhh

Bummer. Assume you have one in school? Do they expect one parent to be at home for 4 weeks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

My OH is a teacher so she will be off, sounds good however they are now instructing remote teaching via specific apps so she will need to be online (visually) for the school day at home whilst our mad dog and youngest will be roaming the house. Strange times.

Let's hope the airlines have a nice sale to get people moving after this all (hopefully) blows over so we can get cheap Christmas flights.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Let's hope the airlines have a nice sale to get people moving after this all (hopefully) blows over so we can get cheap Christmas flights.

Silver lining and all that!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jaysus guys the coronavirus is fairly Ramping up now. Be safe everyone. Hope ye all avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Yea 7 new cases is a big leap!

• Advertisement

We've a 7kg Christmas ham in the freezer. So, least we've something in to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Jaysus guys the coronavirus is fairly Ramping up now. Be safe everyone. Hope ye all avoid it.

It is,but it is miniscule in relation to a population of 4.8 million people in the Republic and 6.6 million on the whole island.I know that is no consultation to the people who are infected,but it is still a tiny percentage of the population and hopefully we will as you say all avoid it and it disappears very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Trying to cancel North Italy trip. Ryanair not budging. Might have to look at flying in and flying straight out to somewhere safer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It is,but it is miniscule in relation to a population of 4.8 million people in the Republic and 6.6 million on the whole island.I know that is no consultation to the people who are infected,but it is still a tiny percentage of the population and hopefully we will as you say all avoid it and it disappears very soon.

But we’re only 5 days since the first case was announced and now we are at 13. It will continue to grow and grow :(

Caranica wrote: »
    Trying to cancel North Italy trip. Ryanair not budging. Might have to look at flying in and flying straight out to somewhere safer

Sorry to hear that. I know it will cost Ryanair however government should step in and cover the cost so people who cancel get their money back.

Hopefully you get something sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

But we’re only 5 days since the first case was announced and now we are at 13. It will continue to grow and grow :(

It will. I expect we'll end up with cases in the realm of four figures or so.
    I'm still not dipping my toe into the river of panic that seems to be developing though. Not yet anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    It will. I expect we'll end up with cases in the realm of four figures or so.
    I'm still not dipping my toe into the river of panic that seems to be developing though. Not yet anyway.

PANIC!!!! Everyone panic. I’m selling bags of pasta for €100 serious offers only :pac:

PANIC!!!! Everyone panic. I’m selling bags of pasta for €100 serious offers only :pac:

I'm off to get our weekly grocery shop after work this evening... & be warned I'll be buying ALL the shop, ALL of it! Just for me & mine!! :cool:

Scary thing is there may actually be folk out there genuinely freaked out by all this contempalting zombie apocalypse levels of hoarding... As long as they wait until tomorrow though thats fine :pac:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'll swap you for some loo roll :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'll swap you for some loo roll :D

I Stockpiled that aaaaages ago :P

• Advertisement

I can confirm that there was no shortage of pasta, pasta sauces, tinned foods and loo roll in our local dunnes stores last night. Only thing really unavailable was handwash.

I went to the Tesco, SuperValu, Lidl and Aldi last night and I was hoping to have a Christmas Eve rush but it was basically a Friday Evening!
    Only shortages was hand gel really!

I went to the Tesco, SuperValu, Lidl and Aldi last night and I was hoping to have a Christmas Eve rush but it was basically a Friday Evening!
    Only shortages was hand gel really!

Was in LIDL this evening and the freezers are bare. The stockpiling of frozen items is actually clever. But completely unnecessary :)

19 is such a low number for the population we have. There’s no need to panic :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

19 cases!? That's one more than before.

PANIC! PANIC NOW!!

I've still
    A tin of USA.
    3 tins of Chocolate Kimberley.
    Box of Victoria.
    1 tub of Rose's.
    2 tubs of Quality Street
    1tub of Heroes.
    3 tubs of Celebrations.
    1 box of Black Magic.
    1 box of Emerlads.
    2 boxes of Christmas crackers.

So, If I had to self isolate I could have a mini Christmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I have to self-isolate, I'm going to freshpopcorn's house. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    If I have to self-isolate, I'm going to freshpopcorn's house. :pac:

I’m already on the way there. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Too much stress on the words "box" and "tub". I bet it's a boobie trap. I bet they're AAAAAAAAAALL sewing kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I've still
    A tin of USA.
    3 tins of Chocolate Kimberley.
    Box of Victoria.
    1 tub of Rose's.
    2 tubs of Quality Street
    1tub of Heroes.
    3 tubs of Celebrations.
    1 box of Black Magic.
    1 box of Emerlads.
    2 boxes of Christmas crackers.

So, If I had to self isolate I could have a mini Christmas

Ha ha, just how much stuff did you buy at Christmas?? :eek::D

• Advertisement

Ha ha, just how much stuff did you buy at Christmas?? :eek::D

A good bit we generally end up with about 4 to 6 tubs of type of sweet and a few tins of biscuits. That's between what we bought and gifts.
    The dates are good on most of them.
    Quality Street is has an August Best Before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement