Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This saw is on sale at Lidl on Thursday. Fair play to the woman for keeping her tree up!
    322850_08.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And she appears to live in a winter wonderland if you look out the window :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Must be all that sawdust...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Amazing Hotels Christmas is on RTE 2 tonight @8pm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Went for a run with the mutt this morning and it was pitch black, spotted a back garden with blue flashing lights, thought of getting a pic but was too tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Went for a run with the mutt this morning and it was pitch black, spotted a back garden with blue flashing lights, thought of getting a pic but was too tired.

A lost police car?!? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How’s everyone holding up? All doing ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Still alive. :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    Still alive. :D :pac:

Same. For now anyway. Haven't seen a zombie yet.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »

Hoping they don't cancel Christmas!

• Advertisement

Hoping they don't cancel Christmas!

Well Paddy’s day is done. But remember they can never cancel what’s in the heart, so Christmas is safe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Just about hanging in here. Family member had an incident today. All is ok, minor injury but yeah we need to be very careful and mindful of ourselves. It’s very easy to get distracted.

P10, hope the family member is okay.

It's tough here, I have staff and other firms asking me what's the plan, until the government tell us we can do nothing. Spreading rumors about covid-19 now has a minimum sentence of 3 years. I have the inlaws arriving tonight, wondering will they be able to get in, then also get out in 10 days.

Loughc wrote: »

ELF1 asking some questions around dead and if Granny & Granddad will be OK. Apart from that all ok.

Noticed people giving evil looks if someone coughs/sneezes on the train!!

Am starting to see the change in atmosphere here in the office, people are far more edgier & one of the architects this morning came in having been off sick yesterday but was saying she wasnt sure if she should come in as she has flu like symptoms & a temperature... she nearly cleared the building faster than a fire, so damage limitation already being practiced with peopel being asked to work from home/remotely if even showing signs of a temperature. Suspect its only the start of a few months of uncertainty. God only knows where we'll all be by Christmas guys (health & work wise) so take care of yourselves.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

TRS30 wrote: »
    ELF1 asking some questions around dead and if Granny & Granddad will be OK. Apart from that all ok.

Noticed people giving evil looks if someone coughs/sneezes on the train!!

That's really sad to hear. Hope your kids are okay!

Unfortunately a lot of the sensationalist headlines used by certain national newspapers only work to heighten anxiety, especially in children should they catch a glimpse of them.

I've never seen such blatant manipulation of words before.

dobby896 wrote: »
    That's really sad to hear. Hope your kids are okay!

Unfortunately a lot of the sensationalist headlines used by certain national newspapers only work to heighten anxiety, especially in children should they catch a glimpse of them.

I've never seen such blatant manipulation of words before.

Is only the eldest who is old enough to notice anything. We don't watch the news till they have gone to bed and don't talk about it in front of them. So assume she heard something in school/ after school as was on her mind as soon as I picked her up from after school.

We do talk to them about washing hands and using tissues if coughing/sneezing (well the oldest two as youngest is 11 months so would be very impressed if she used a tissue/ washed her hands!)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

We do talk to them about washing hands and using tissues if coughing/sneezing (well the oldest two as youngest is 11 months so would be very impressed if she used a tissue/ washed her hands!)

Haha that would be some feat is she did!

DvB wrote: »
    one of the architects this morning came in having been off sick yesterday but was saying she wasnt sure if she should come in as she has flu like symptoms & a temperature... she nearly cleared the building faster than a fire,

Architect's are a unreliable bunch at the best of times :p

We plan and book our leave many many months, up to a year, in advance due to my job and the kids holidays, half term holiday for two weeks has been canceled with a loss of $, no idea what to do for the summer, Christmas flights would usually have been booked now but not doing that until things settle down.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Architect's are a unreliable bunch at the best of times :p

We plan and book our leave many many months, up to a year, in advance due to my job and the kids holidays, half term holiday for two weeks has been canceled with a loss of $, no idea what to do for the summer, Christmas flights would usually have been booked now but not doing that until things settle down.

Yep, is hard to know what to be planning at the minute. Luckily we have no foreign holidays planed at most might have gone to the UK on the ferry late summer. Still might or just stay in Ireland, will see how things pan out over the next few months. Also lucky that both the missus and myself have some flexibility with leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryanair cancelling my flight for next week, booking.com refunding my hotel and I've emailed the car park so hopefully I won't be out of pocket.

Had started a thread about where else I could go for a few days but now thinking I won't be going anywhere with the situation changing so much every day. Was really looking forward to a few days away to clear my head and relax. Still, staying healthy and not putting my loved ones at risk is more important.

Hopefully you get all/most your money back Caranica.

Would you think about a spa break in Ireland?

Hopefully you get all/most your money back Caranica.

Would you think about a spa break in Ireland?

Think I'll hold on. No sign of price reductions here yet and the money goes so much further abroad. Also it feels so much more lonely traveling solo in Ireland than it does overseas

Caranica wrote: »

Had started a thread about where else I could go for a few days but now thinking I won't be going anywhere with the situation changing so much every day. Was really looking forward to a few days away to clear my head and relax. Still, staying healthy and not putting my loved ones at risk is more important.

We were due to fly to my wifes family in the UK over easter but wont be going now, truth be told i'd not be confident booking anything, even in Ireland for the next 4-6 weeks at least, we could be looking at a lockdown of sorts here as well so i'll be staying close to home until the situation becomes clearer.

Just hope its relatively normal for our summer holiday in July but suspect thats optimism with the realist in me expecting that to be cancelled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's disappointing, Caranica. :(

A few days days away is lovely... for me it doesn't feel like a holiday unless I've been on a plane! I'd a couple of days last year in Edinburgh, travelled solo, and really enjoyed it!

I hope you are able to do something else instead.
    Are you able to cancel work leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I've a holiday booked to the States in August, so seriously hoping all has calmed down by then. Leave is booked from work also.

DvB wrote: »
    Am starting to see the change in atmosphere here in the office, people are far more edgier & one of the architects this morning came in having been off sick yesterday but was saying she wasnt sure if she should come in as she has flu like symptoms & a temperature... she nearly cleared the building faster than a fire, so damage limitation already being practiced with peopel being asked to work from home/remotely if even showing signs of a temperature. Suspect its only the start of a few months of uncertainty. God only knows where we'll all be by Christmas guys (health & work wise) so take care of yourselves.

Sadly the biggest impact is yet to come. Once the virus settles we’ll see the real economic damage.

On a positive note people in work today we’re viewing Christmas stock for 2020 from suppliers so that was a nice surprise when I walked pass the meeting room.

We're into the 280's!

Posy wrote: »
    That's disappointing, Caranica. :(

A few days days away is lovely... for me it doesn't feel like a holiday unless I've been on a plane! I'd a couple of days last year in Edinburgh, travelled solo, and really enjoyed it!

I hope you are able to do something else instead.
    Are you able to cancel work leave?

Thanks. I did Hogmanay in Edinburgh this year and it was my 4th time in Edinburgh in 12 months ;)

Work leave not an issue post redundancy. Was supposed to be taking some time for me but it feels like I'm self isolating this week. Will see how things look next week.

But feck it I'm grand really. Scared for my mother with this bloody virus taking hold in the country. She lung issues and I'm so worried she'll get it. Italy aren't ventilating over 65s and won't resuscitate them either, hope that doesn't follow suit here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Hope everyone is ok and this virus runs its course with the minimum toll on the country but how in the hell was Cheltenam allowed go ahead?
    They are literally on top of each other over there the crowds are so big.
    Money before people as usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement