Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^I was wondering this too. Also physically handing over cash between each other. My in laws arrived in last night at 2am and said they had no issue at the airport, they have temperature cameras. The upside was a nearly empty 777 so they have four seats each to lay out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

It all everyone in work is talking about. Just had one guy get very angry about Cheltenam going ahead and that every Irish person should be quarantined when they come back!!!

I think peoples level of interest/panic/fear is very personal based, i.e. have some health issues, have elderly parents or family with underlying health problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I get the feeling the reality of the situation is starting to hit home now, starting to really get a feeling that a panic situation is in the post, especially after the cheltenham festival finishes & 1000's of punters start returning into the country, that single event seems to have galvanised a lot of people into how irresponsible it was to allow it proceed... when the inevitable spike in cases happens its an easy target to point the finger at.
    Amazed so many travelled over TBH.

Defintely seeing a change in work, people are clearly nervous & its all many are talking about.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

I've a trip to Stockholm planned this weekend and unsure of whether to just cancel it.

It's my first AL of the year so if I don't go I won't even bother taking the days off work. My fear isn't actually getting it, it's being over there, there being a massive outbreak and being forced into self-isolation upon my return home.

dobby896 wrote: »
    I've a trip to Stockholm planned this weekend and unsure of whether to just cancel it.

It's my first AL of the year so if I don't go I won't even bother taking the days off work. My fear isn't actually getting it, it's being over there, there being a massive outbreak and being forced into self-isolation upon my return home.

Its very hard to know what to be doing at the minute. The situation both here and other countries seems to be changing on a daily basis.

I think all you can do is weigh up all the factors and try to make the best decision you can.

Luckily I don't have any immediate travel plans, apart from a wedding in Northern Ireland on Saturday, so no hard decisions to make at the minute.

• Advertisement

dobby896 wrote: »

Check the department of foreign affairs website (dfa.ie) for travel advice for whatever country you are travelling to. Depending on the status in that country/region other than the same precautions being practised here there may be no other impact to your journey/stay. The risk of course is that the situation could change whilst you are there & thats the bit you need to think about really.

Having been to Sweden & Stockholm a few times i'd have confidence in the way they manage things & their health service though, a lot more than I would be of ours if i'm honest.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

So many sick children are in my school. How are we meant to tell the difference ? I had one little mite ask to put his head down this morning. He had a very obvious sinus infection. Other kids were avoiding him like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,752 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find it is spoken about a lot.
    A lot seem relaxed about it. They're just talking about hand washing, etc.
    Those who are elderly or have underlying health conditions seem more concerned about it but they seem happy enough with lot's of hand washing,etc. People do seem very annoyed with those who are buying large amounts in bulk especially with those who are fairly healthy.
    Just in my experience those who are panicking a lot are always panicking about things and they believe everything they hear online. They were the same about Swine Flu and Ebola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

My parents were in Dunnes doing their weekly shop this morning and my mam was telling me the place was cleared out of toilet roll, soap, Dettol. My father asked one of the staff when did they expect to get more in and was told they get stocked first thing every morning and are snapped up just as quick as they hit the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S asked me today if Christmas would be cancelled because of coronavirus. He was relieved to be told absolutely not. But it's still sad that it was on his mind. I guess that with the parades next week being cancelled, it's the first time he's realised that something which has been a constant and part of how he marks time is actually something that can be taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    S asked me today if Christmas would be cancelled because of coronavirus. He was relieved to be told absolutely not. But it's still sad that it was on his mind. I guess that with the parades next week being cancelled, it's the first time he's realised that something which has been a constant and part of how he marks time is actually something that can be taken away.

The whole thing has been unnerving. I feel sorry for kids stuff like this would really worry then.

It's snowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    The whole thing has been unnerving. I feel sorry for kids stuff like this would really worry then.

He and his friend I take to school every day discuss it most mornings. I think I'm lucky to get to hear their discussion as it gives me insight into what he's picked up on and what he's thinking. We had a chat this afternoon about how it is sad that a lot of things we love might have to stop for a while because of the virus but on the other hand we've planned lots and lots of nice things during 'lockdown.' We're going to look at it as a chance to do some/all of the things we're always planning to do but never get to because we're too busy with activities. And we'll start by doing something special on Tuesday for Paddies day.

First death :( RIP

My wife has an elderly uncle who lives alone, she usually calls him a couple of times a week and we call over to him every couple of weeks with the kids. She has been ringing him every night the last week or so and I'm calling over later with food so he doesn't have to go out. He has numerous health issues so would definitely be in the high risk category.

If anyone has any elderly friends, neighbours etc might be no harm to call in and see how they are doing or if they need anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    So many sick children are in my school. How are we meant to tell the difference ? I had one little mite ask to put his head down this morning. He had a very obvious sinus infection. Other kids were avoiding him like the plague.

Now, Covid or no Covid, why the hell did his parents sent him to school, seeing he was so unwell? Poor child...

I went to the shops Tesco and Supervalu and it was busier than normal but not overly bad but it's probally because we live in a town.
    There was no problem getting anything really.
    No cheap handwashing tough.

I went to the shops Tesco and Supervalu and it was busier than normal but not overly bad but it's probally because we live in a town.
    There was no problem getting anything really.
    No cheap handwashing tough.

Was coming back to work from home having been on site earlier today & drove through Clonee, has a lidl at one end & an Aldi at the other, gridlocked both with queue's out the door. Dunnes in blanch the same, rammed with queue's down the aisles, seems the panic has started out our way at least.

Hopefully if the shelves are restocked it'll restore confidence after the initial panic & people will cop on they dont need a years supply of something today!

DvB wrote: »

Hopefully if the shelves are restocked it'll restore confidence after the initial panic & people will cop on they dont need a years supply of something today!

Tesco had a limit of 3 packets toilet rolls per customer but it looked like lots of people were just doing there regular weekly shop but they moved it forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

New Home wrote: »
    Now, Covid or no Covid, why the hell did his parents sent him to school, seeing he was so unwell? Poor child...

It’s the norm. No one to take care of them at home so safer in school with teachers watching them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All supermarkets were empty in D13 by 5pm tonight. It’s actually scary the panic buying and greed. Shops were busier than Christmas Eve on speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's madness. There will be more stock tomorrow, like, CALM DOWN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

New Home wrote: »

I was at the hospital yesterday & security were stopping anyone with children from entering the hospital and asking to see proof that the kids had appointments as obviously the hospitals are in lockdown at the minute. Signs all over the place about visiting restrictions etc.

One daft bat came in with a child of about 8/9 years to go and visit someone on the Post-Natal Ward! And when the security man said "children aren't allowed in the hospital because of the virus", she didn't turn around and go home, instead she started arguing that she had no one to mind the child (in the hospital) and then left her sitting on a chair while she went up to try and do her visit! Some people have no cop on at all!

Hey CL, hope you're keeping well. Must be getting close now??

Hope everyone is OK.

Was a strange day yesterday, working from home anyway then the announcement, uncertainty around Elf1's swimming, celebrating nephews birthday (his party at the weekend is cancelled:(), confusing messages from work about what is going to happen and then having to cancel going to friends wedding this weekend.

We've actually got a few very quiet weekends ahead of us now. With all sport cancelled we have no matches to coach or to watch, my daughter had a birthday party to go to on Saturday, thats been cancelled & with the shops being akin to a stampede will avoid until absolutely necessary... if the weather is cr*p I have no idea what we'll do with out time!!? Cant go visiting the grandparents... definitely not going anywhere near a pub or restaurant either... options diminishing at every turn.
    Suspect we'll catch up on all the movies & TV we keep meaning to watch which doesn't actually sound to appealing funnily enough...

Anyone else got any ideas to offset the cabin fever!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

Board games, cards, dominos, drawing, knitting, baking, spring cleaning- choose old toys to donate to charity and clothes to be put in clothes bins, design crosswords/wordsearches, puzzles, lego, read and write a few book reviews...

I'm not sure what age your kids are but there might be a couple of ideas there :)
    Also, twinkl have provided free access for a month for parents and there are TONS of activities etc there that might be of use :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Make slime and play dough. Draw, do origami, build things with paper or recycled material from around the house. Prepare items for a treasure hunt. Do word searches, join the dots, etc. Make cards. Do a bit of gardening, even if it's just in a flowerpot. Check the parenting forum, they may have more suggestions in there. :)

Might be of use to some at home with kids.

Finishing up work for the weekend so most likely not be on Boards for a couple of days.

Enjoy the weekend, as best you can, and stay safe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I must be the only person who actually works at work, and doesn't doss about on boards all day. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Posy wrote: »
    I must be the only person who actually works at work, and doesn't doss about on boards all day. :pac:

You mean you don't get on Boards whiles being paid,Mad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement