Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I must be the only person who actually works at work, and doesn't doss about on boards all day. :pac:

For the past two weeks I’ve barely been on boards... in work :pac:

But I’m here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Have a singathon or danceathon ! Learn some moves from YouTube. Or a themed silly day :) put weather proof clothes and go have an adventure or explore the countryside or your back garden ( or jungle!). Write letters / draw pictures for relatives to post or to give them when you can next see them.

How was everyone’s day? It’s so tough with everything that’s going on. Kept busy myself cleaning out presses , washing etc. I think by Monday when i’m not in work, it’ll really hit home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    How was everyone’s day? It’s so tough with everything that’s going on. Kept busy myself cleaning out presses , washing etc. I think by Monday when i’m not in work, it’ll really hit home.

Sorting out the presses and utility room now I’ve no excuses.

I’m back in work Wednesday unless we’re on complete lockdown. It’s honestly getting scary the number of cases we’re growing by everyday. This is an event that will be remembered in history.

I’m a teacher so returning after the 29th of March all going well. Keeping in contact with classes so that’s as good as we can do.

Can’t believe all these stories of people going to pubs. It’s like they were told they shouldn’t and it made them more determined to go.

I’m toying with the idea of going out for a bag of flour in the morning. Are you stocked up with food ? I just did my normal shop on Thursday. If I do go out, that’ll be me then until the 29th. We’ve enough in the freezer that will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Back to work as normal Monday for me,to be honest prefer to be in work.

I’m a teacher so returning after the 29th of March all going well. Keeping in contact with classes so that’s as good as we can do.

Can’t believe all these stories of people going to pubs. It’s like they were told they shouldn’t and it made them more determined to go.

I’m toying with the idea of going out for a bag of flour in the morning. Are you stocked up with food ? I just did my normal shop on Thursday. If I do go out, that’ll be me then until the 29th. We’ve enough in the freezer that will do.

We did a big shop on Thursday. We have about a week and a half worth of meals food and snacks. Should be ok for the time being. If we go into full lockdown I do worry about boredom snacking the whole pile. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If It's any comfort to you when we had snow we had about 4 or 5 days off when I was in Leaving Cert about ten years ago.
    Our teachers left work.
    One person did French, another did English, etc. Then we all swapped and copied.
    I heard of people doing similar this time. So, I wouldn't worry to much about them. If that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Can't believe crowds of people in the pubs last night. It's a good thing some of the pubs have decided to close for a while. Heard that there was crowds of English people in Dublin over the weekend on the pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Like many spent the day cleaning after getting home from an early morning walk with the family. Even the park we go to had about a third of the amount of people we'd normally see. It's so sad.
    If we go into the next stage of lockdown itll have little effect on us, we're avoiding pubs, restaurants etc anyway and will work from home half the time, I'll still need to go into the office every couple of days but if its like friday that wont be an issue as the train was empty.
    If we do end up stuck at home for long periods let's remember we still have our community in here so pop in, say hello, let us know how you're getting on and we can all try to cheer one another up. Theres doom and gloom everywhere but we all need somewhere to retreat to now and again and here is perfect.
    Stay safe and take care!! We'll get through this!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ Thank you DVB. A perfect post, in total keeping with the spirit of this thread. Fair play.

I’m delighted to have here to talk to others. Unlike other places , there’s no fear of saying something wrong. I mentioned on the teaching forum what our school had done to prepare for closure and I got told off for being condescending. :( of course I wasn’t being.

I didn’t realize I was in an at risk category. Asthma has been well under control for many years . So I’ll be putting on the mask and gloves to go get the flour .

If It's any comfort to you when we had snow we had about 4 or 5 days off when I was in Leaving Cert about ten years ago.
    Our teachers left work.
    One person did French, another did English, etc. Then we all swapped and copied.
    I heard of people doing similar this time. So, I wouldn't worry to much about them. If that helps.

Yeah they were already making plans for little study groups so I wasn’t too sure whether to be pleased or worried for them. I’ve had a good bit of work from junior certs which is promising so hopefully they’ll keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I vividly remember the stress prior to the LC, having to deal with this in addition to the 'normal' level of stress is pants. I was a useless at studying however to this day I need a quiet environment in order to study and my house was a mad house. Therefore I could only study in the school library. I pity these kids.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I vividly remember the stress prior to the LC, having to deal with this in addition to the 'normal' level of stress is pants. I was a useless at studying however to this day I need a quiet environment in order to study and my house was a mad house. Therefore I could only study in the school library. I pity these kids.

You were lucky. Most schools don't have a library.

That I was, it was in reality just a classroom, my school also set up supervised study after school which was a Godsend. My brother in law is doing his LC this year. For things like tech drawing/math etc I found that I needed further explanation that text would not remedy. Though nowadays youtube etc can help I guess.

Gyms etc are closed here, plus no new visas, even visitors after the 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hope all you elves are keeping safe! Day three here is going ok so far, I'm just online to print off some lessons for our eldest as I told her that "Mammy's school" is starting tomorrow. We've pretty much put ourselves into isolation - we aren't going out, except in the garden or over to the empty football pitch for a walk. We've told both sets of Grandparents that we'll see them in two weeks - although one set can look over the fence and see the kids :P We have a stocked freezer (thanks to my baby prep) so other than needing milk or bread by the end of the week, we'll be grand.

The only thing I am nervous is about is that I have to go out to Antenatal appointments in both my GPs and the hospital. Am hoping that I won't catch anything. Other than that, I have deleted my Guardian app off my phone and muted most of my Whats App groups as I found I was getting very anxious over it - not the way I want to feel with so few weeks left to go before our baby arrives.

I’m delighted to have here to talk to others. Unlike other places , there’s no fear of saying something wrong. I mentioned on the teaching forum what our school had done to prepare for closure and I got told off for being condescending. :( of course I wasn’t being.

This is always a safe play to post anything in here :) the Internet is a nasty nasty place at the moment full of scaremongering and abuse and rumours. Stay here we’ll keep the Christmas lights flashing.

If we go into lockdown I decree we should put up our Christmas trees again :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    The only thing I am nervous is about is that I have to go out to Antenatal appointments in both my GPs and the hospital. Am hoping that I won't catch anything. Other than that, I have deleted my Guardian app off my phone and muted most of my Whats App groups as I found I was getting very anxious over it - not the way I want to feel with so few weeks left to go before our baby arrives.

I’ll be thinking of you CL over the next few weeks. I hope all goes well. I’m sure you’ll be safe. GPs and hospitals are on the ball at the moment.

You’re dead right over the guardian app. Nothing but sensationalism journalism.

A Christmas episode of Who want's to be a millionaire is on Sony now!

• Advertisement

Hope the visit's go well CL. We have seen a down turn in work as some of our large government projects have gone on hold, sadly there are lay offs. Trying to keep the Christmas spirit up, I am on one of the currently surviving commissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good to hear everyone doing OK and taking care. Been a strange few days and like others have decided to curb my 'news' in take as can get a bit over whelming. Keeping daily contact with friends and family to make sure everyone is doing ok. Popping over later to wife's uncle who lives on his own to drop in some messages.

Wife is trying to keep all three entertained while I'm working in the attic. Printed off activities and educational stuff for elder two to do. Luckily weather is nice to they can go out back and down to green at end of road.

Hopefully regular posters will be around here so we can make sure everyone OK and keep each others spirits up, share ideas etc.

School gave the following website to wife, which has lots of education stuff for kids, www.twinkl.ie. Have a code for a months free membership. If anyone wants it just PM me.

There’s also teachers pay teachers ( US based but it’s very useful and a good bit of it is free) and tes.co.uk ( also has a lot of free stuff but not as good as twinkl) . Registration for both is free, just put down you are a teacher. I’m also using big life journal for wellbeing resources in school. You register and they send you free PDFs weekly. I think they’d be very suitable for the primary end too.

My old primary school has a calendar which tasks kids to build, out of lego, items each day. For example, a vessel that floats. It's a great little idea.

I could really do with a Christmas movie and good old Christmas spirit.

This 1000%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just a quick check in to say all good here. Stay safe people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

House and car gleaming... will start on the shed tomorrow!

Was off work today anyway as had it booked to cover the original school day closure BV (before virus) but my wife went in with my laptop to get set up to work from home, said train was busier than expected but nowhere near as busy as normal, fair play to those who will need to travel daily, not looking forward to it myself and can see myself driving in as much as possible.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

kitten_k wrote: »
    Just a quick check in to say all good here. Stay safe people.

Good to hear KK, keep safe.

Could do with these even more now as stupidly just checked my pension :eek:

• Advertisement

I’ll say it. I’m starting to miss the kids. It’s too quiet this online teaching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement